• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jimmy Corbett
Gareth Risbridger

I liked Jimmy Corbett, gave 100% when he played but I seem to remember him being a bit of a sick note.

I recall Risbridger coming on as a sub in the 89th minute and running around like a loon. Tackling clumsily but ferociously. And then disappearing from the club. He'd signed from Yeovil following Webby who obviously thought he had something.

I had a quick look at the players by season in Robin's SUFCDB database. It's amazing how many I'd forgotten until their name jumped out of the page at me.

Kellock was my hero of my very first game see signature!

Whilst pondering I recall seeing Junior Stanislas score for Bournemouth the other day he was loaned to us for about 2-3 months once wasn't he!

If you couldn't find anyone better than Kellock to be your hero, you have my sympathy.

By definition, you can only do this properly by looking back through old line-ups.

Worryingly, or maybe not, it was difficult to find players from the 60s and 70s I did not recall quite well whereas many more recent players had faded fast. Perhaps a symptom of the loan era.

Starting, when I started, in the 60s the first player I got to of whom I have absolutely no recollection of playing for us was Peter Ellis - and he even scored a goal.

By definition, you can only do this properly by looking back through old line-ups.

Worryingly, or maybe not, it was difficult to find players from the 60s and 70s I did not recall quite well whereas many more recent players had faded fast. Perhaps a symptom of the loan era.

Starting, when I started, in the 60s the first player I got to of whom I have absolutely no recollection of playing for us was Peter Ellis - and he even scored a goal.
I am not so sure that getting loan players in was the thing to do as most clubs had 1st team and reserve teams to call on , going back to the middle late 60s when I first started following Southend I remember players like Pat Wright and Maurice Kyle being bought in and if any good or better than we had we might of signed them . Southend seemed to bring in players like Bryon Myton and Paul Mathews who would only play one game , I remember Southend bringing in Geoff Barker from Hull and doing very well and a lot of supporters hoping he was going to sign but he went back to Hull and Arthur Rowley signed very underated Brian Albeson . It the last seasons when clubs seem to be going out and bringing loan players in left right and centre .

Back