• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Homeless

:cry: Not sure if I'm in the right place, but do you think Shrimpers would be prepared to highlight the plight of the rough sleepers of Southend by, maybe, inviting the occasional one to be their mascot for the day.

Why are you asking us? We're a bunch of fans that can't agree on anything.

You need to speak to the club.

:cry: Not sure if I'm in the right place, but do you think Shrimpers would be prepared to highlight the plight of the rough sleepers of Southend by, maybe, inviting the occasional one to be their mascot for the day.
What are you defining as homeless? Is it the beggars that harass passerby’s so they can get money for their next fix, or just get extra money to top off their benefits? Also why would they want to be a mascot?

Seeing the thread title, I thought this was another Fossets Farm discussion.

Thank you. how to I get in touch with the club.

Best wait until June because if the council decision goes against the club you will be able to chat to Ron when he settles down to share your doorway in the High Street.

Not to tar all homeless people with the same brush but the vast majority of the homeless people in Southend are not particularly nice people. I work in town and see them fighting, drinking booze, doing drugs every single day!

The worst part is I can't walk out of the high street to walk home without being pestered for money by about 5 different people, again every single day! Not being asked politely either. THESE type of people I do not feel sorry for and it may sound harsh but it makes sense why their homeless with how rude and aggressive they are.

I have personally witnessed groups of them rob Greggs several times and not even try to hide it. Not even take one thing, taking well beyond what they need.

That's before you even talk about the state they leave places in where they've slept. The beer can's, rubbish etc is disgraceful. The high street looks a state as it is and this adds to it even further.

Wow. Really disappointed by the responses so far. Not exactly Shrimperzone’s finest hour.

You can reach the club on 01702 304050.

Good luck with whatever you’re trying to achieve.

Not to tar all homeless people with the same brush but the vast majority of the homeless people in Southend are not particularly nice people.

By 'vast majority' do you mean the homeless people you've noticed around Southend? If so that's an extremely biased sample since you'd have no reason to notice a homeless person that isn't causing trouble.

What are you defining as homeless? Is it the beggars that harass passerby’s so they can get money for their next fix, or just get extra money to top off their benefits? Also why would they want to be a mascot?

As someone who used to help run a hostel for homeless people, I find your remarks insensitive and way OTT.

As someone who used to help run a hostel for homeless people, I find your remarks insensitive and way OTT.

Then let your wife or daughter walk 30 paces in front of you down Southend High street and you'll know what the rest of us do.

It is a no go area for the elderly and just 2 weeks at 20:00 hours on a Friday night with people about, myself and a friend had to step in when a group of around 5 men and a couple of women tried to force class A on 2 lads of about 15 who were clearly saying NO.

Yes there always have been genuine people with problems who are homeless but the new breed of muggers need to be dealt with, and run out of town before the death of our once great High Street.

Sorry, I find this an odd request. Mascots are children, as far as I am aware there are no homeless children in Southend?

You would be far better to talk to the Club about arranging a collection, either of goods or money to be distributed through or to the charities that do commendable work with the rough sleepers of the Borough. As it goes, the Trust last year made a £50 donation via Streets kitchens, to these workers in Southend as a result of Anthony Wordsworth's request for winning the Player of the Month award.

Then let your wife or daughter walk 30 paces in front of you down Southend High street and you'll know what the rest of us do.

It is a no go area for the elderly and just 2 weeks at 20:00 hours on a Friday night with people about, myself and a friend had to step in when a group of around 5 men and a couple of women tried to force class A on 2 lads of about 15 who were clearly saying NO.

Yes there always have been genuine people with problems who are homeless but the new breed of muggers need to be dealt with, and run out of town before the death of our once great High Street.

The only homeless people that are going to be spending the little money they have on drugs are addicts, and addicts aren't going to be sharing their supply. These sound a lot more like a group of clubbers who have gone out early for pre-drinking (if you mistook them for homeless people they were probably going to the rock night at Chameleon because people deliberately dress shabbily there). I've had clubbers offer me drugs on nights out before and had to say no a couple of times before they'd go away. Either that or they were drug dealers going around in a weirdly large pack, but drug dealers typically make enough cash to not be homeless.

The only homeless people that are going to be spending the little money they have on drugs are addicts, and addicts aren't going to be sharing their supply. These sound a lot more like a group of clubbers who have gone out early for pre-drinking (if you mistook them for homeless people they were probably going to the rock night at Chameleon because people deliberately dress shabbily there). I've had clubbers offer me drugs on nights out before and had to say no a couple of times before they'd go away. Either that or they were drug dealers going around in a weirdly large pack, but drug dealers typically make enough cash to not be homeless.

Maybe, but I've felt threatened myself when walking to my car in Clarence Street, by a bloke outside Waterstones, apparently begging but in a very aggressive manner at only about 5.30 in the evening. The High Street is really not a nice place to be.

Come and spend a few hours at the taxi rank by WHS and watch the beggars. Tell me how they all have new I-phones. Then go into Sainsbury’s and ask security why the toilets are shut, then go into Bet Fred and ask them why you need a key and why is the light blue in there. Most of these people are not homeless trust me on that as they have got in taxis before to take them home.

Come and spend a few hours at the taxi rank by WHS and watch the beggars. Tell me how they all have new I-phones. Then go into Sainsbury’s and ask security why the toilets are shut, then go into Bet Fred and ask them why you need a key and why is the light blue in there. Most of these people are not homeless trust me on that as they have got in taxis before to take them home.
So... :off topic:

Well for start the lads were never going to get any drugs it was just an excuse to force them to get their money out, plenty of scams like that around the world.....Gang offer victim some piece of crap and they try to buy their way out of trouble

No this group were acting aggressive, gobby, attention seeking and spread out across the High Street. One was ****ing up a shop window etc. Other older adults scurried by, head down and thinking Southend is a disgrace. The thing is these idiots didn't give a ****, they absolutely knew nothing would happen to them. Back in the day as any of the old school will tell you behaving like that would have resulted in a slap or two from a group of fine upstanding young Essex boys.

Back