• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Comiserations to all who travelled, hope you get to another game. We went to Salford City after the Rochdale postponement, quite a tidy ground. We're really not having much luck in the Manchester area this year!

Salford City ended up being called off today as well!

Got as far as Holmfirth via Nottingham before hearing game was off at 1.00.
Return to Nottingham via Chesterfield v Swindon. Game reminded me how sh*te League 2 is!
Zavon Hines still masquerading as a winger for Chesterfield.
Onwards and upwards fellow Shrimpers. Bring on the Saddlers!

Game was called off whilst I was in a pub in Manchester so decided to go to Salford, waited until 2, got halfway there to see the game was called off...

what a **** day

If anyone missed the refs comments earlier or couldn't be arsed to follow the earlier link here it is again. No consolation to those that wasted a journey and dosh but at least he explained why.

If anyone missed the refs comments earlier or couldn't be arsed to follow the earlier link here it is again. No consolation to those that wasted a journey and dosh but at least he explained why.

I don't accept that, he says he was in the area so why did Oldham not call him in earlier? A frozen part of the pitch in the shade is frozen - end of story. Should have been called off much earlier.

The Trust have written to the EFL to express their disgust as well as a number of individuals who have, so let's see if that brings any response.

i assume this is a joke?
Poring on hot water from watering cans?
As we know what it requires is application from hot air heaters in the affected areas and before the frost gets deep into the ground..even then needs someone on the ball overnight
Poor ref, every bar Jeremy Beadle in a stunt entirely aimed at Oldham suggesting they really did do every5hing possible..dear oh dear..

Game was called off whilst I was in a pub in Manchester so decided to go to Salford, waited until 2, got halfway there to see the game was called off...

what a **** day

Me and my son chose Sheffield v Romulus as an alternative (Sheffield are apparently the oldest football club in the world). Got speaking to one of the Sheffield committee and he was so impressed that we chose his team's game, he asked us to go on the pitch at the end of an entertaining 2-2 draw to present the man of the match award! Just love the non league scene at times!!

Feel for you my friend. Latest I got back once was from Darlington, 3a.m. after car broke down and we took mail train home. Sorry you had a wasted trip at least we won that game 2-0. Keep smiling!

Same problem as we have at Roots Hall - an area that remains in the shade. Ground temperature there reported to be -5, while in the sun it's into +double figures!

I've said it before, and will say it again, a local ref needs to assess any dubious grounds or areas of grounds at 9 a.m. which gives travelling supporters a reasonable amount of notice.

Anyone wanting to make representation, here are a few suggested ways:
By post: Letters should be addressed to Supporter Services Department, EFL House, 10-12 West Cliff, Preston, PR1 8HU

By direct dial telephone: on 01772 325829

By fax: on 01772 325801

By e-mail: to enquiries@efl.com

or here
http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/how-to-complain

(with thanks to Phil Alsford on FB)

Very good point OBL. To be fair we've had a few late postpontments too. A local ref making an assessment makes absolute sense.

On another note, looking at the Siberian weather forecast for next week, there could be another postponement for the Walsall game!

This on the OLDHAM site posted on Friday morning at 11am.

Is this game going to go ahead>
METOffice say -3 tonight and only +2 tomorrow.
hope they put the covers on later!

Cant say they were not aware of possibility of frozen pitch.
When their supporters could see what might happen a day before the game.

This on the OLDHAM site posted on Friday morning at 11am.

Is this game going to go ahead>
METOffice say -3 tonight and only +2 tomorrow.
hope they put the covers on later!

Cant say they were not aware of possibility of frozen pitch.
When their supporters could see what might happen a day before the game.

I personally phoned OAFC on Friday about 10am and they told me there were no expected problems with the pitch and although cold it was bright and sunny up there. Shambles. As for the shade, it’s in the same place every bloody day so they shouldn’t be surprised. They should have lifted the covers and checked the pitch Friday if there was any doubt.

Pouring hot water on it was just for the cameras.

We were north of Doncaster, just joining the M62 to cross the Pennines when we discovered that the match was off yesterday. Having visited Manchester for the first time a few years ago as part of the Tuesday night trip to Bury a few years ago when Worrall scored, we decided nevertheless to make a day of it in the city, and had a nice day. Hugely frustrating however that the postponement came so late, when they clearly are susceptible to frozen pitches.

Surely they could have publicised a bit earlier that the match was in doubt, especially given the distances we would have to travel?

With all the science and technology available these days, we still have to wait for a ref to arrive, walk on the pitch find out he is unable to get his heal into the turf then call the game off.

Some things never change eh.

We phoned the Police (Essex lot going up there) when I wanted clarification on if it was on or not. They hadn't heard anything from their counterparts up there. I received a call from one of their (Gt Manchester Force) officers who informed me it was off due to frozen pitch. I asked if the covers were on it or not ( they were) he replied " we cant afford them up here".
Made my day that. :(
What about laying Straw down Farmers been doing that for years. Oldham's ground is the coldest in the league so what is plan B? They used to have under soil heating but it cost too much to put on. When they did and it worked, the Police would call off the match due to the conditions of roads around the stadium.
They used to have a plastic pitch but replaced it, must have had a good reason, probably the above idea for the approaches?
Tuesday night it is in Lancashire, AGAIN!. Thanks
Is it time to bring back League 1 (3) North and South. Would make a lot of bloody sense nowadays.

Tuesday night it is in Lancashire, AGAIN!. Thanks
Is it time to bring back League 1 (3) North and South. Would make a lot of bloody sense nowadays.

There was a recent idea to have 5 divisions each of 20 teams (8 up from the Conference). Division 4 would be North and South and there would be less mid-week games.

To make up for lost gate money the lower leagues would get a bigger share from SKY etc. So the PL would have to survive on just 92% instead of 98% of the TV revenue.....Would get my vote as the jump from L1 to Championship is almost impossible for a small club now days.

Yeah nice local derbies at Bristol Rovers, Plymouth, Exeter, Yeovil, Newport, Cheltenham, FGR and maybe places like Cardiff, Bristol City, Swansea if they went down. If we are really lucky Truro might make it to the Football League:smile:
Oh plus Torquay they might get back one day.

What is the solution to this on going problem?

Earlier pitch inspections
Docking teams a point per cancellation
FA setting guidelines on what is required per level ie certain heaters and sheeting.
The game to be forfeited and played at the oppositions ground at the earliest opportunity.
The team abandoning should give up the 3 points.

What I know, is that it really isn't on to have two postponements in quick succession when people have paid good money. It's a joke in 2018

Back