• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maplin and Toys R Us

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Both gone into administration. The high street stores are dropping like flies.

Both gone into administration. The high street stores are dropping like flies.
Toys R Us isn't really a high street store is it?

Surprised both stores lasted so long to be honest. Think the only time I've been to maplin in the last 10 years was when I needed a cable urgently and couldn't wait 24hrs for an ebay/amazon order to arrive.

Maplin Basildon town centre - the business rates must be enormous! One of the first things you see.

I have sympathy for staff - my employer went bankrupt a few years ago - it's really not fun.

Maplin Basildon town centre - the business rates must be enormous! One of the first things you see.

I have sympathy for staff - my employer went bankrupt a few years ago - it's really not fun.
I imagine most Maplin staff are also crypto-millionaires.

(but yes in seriousness it's not good news at all for the staff and definitely not an easy time to be redundant.)

I have always liked Maplins as a bit of a Westcliff geek haven.

Not surprised they have gone under though.

I hope all those affected from both firms find new work soon.

Have a soft spot for Maplin as my mum worked for them when they first started in Rayleigh then Hadleigh. Sad to see to a local company go after so many years.

Toys R Us was a fantastic place to go when my kids were little - the ability to try out so many of the bikes and outdoor equipment was always fun when it was yours but a nightmare when it was other kids! Another victim of the online market, same as Maplin.

When I heard the Maplin news my immediate reaction was 'surely not'. Then I stopped and thought about the last time I used either the Westcliff or Fossetts farm branches................... As others have said I hope the staff get re-employed from both chains.

Another victim of the online market, same as Maplin.

I disagree. They should have changed their business model completely. Both behind the times, offering poor product lines and thought their brands were enough. It's a tough lesson but businesses have to be more proactive.

I disagree. They should have changed their business model completely. Both behind the times, offering poor product lines and thought their brands were enough. It's a tough lesson but businesses have to be more proactive.

Agreed, in the case of Maplin, they assumed because they were the ‘go to’ shop they could set their own pricing. Enormous sympathy for the staff because you can bet your life those in senior management positions won’t be emerging from it as hard up as most of the 5,000.

You also have to ask a separate question. Who destroyed the high streets? Was it the stores that opened with a novel concept or those that flocked (and still flock) to them in search of bargains. Much the same with supermarkets. The buying power they have on dairy and other farming produce mean that the margins for farmers are minimal and with diminishing EU subsidies if people insist on getting their 6 litre bottle of milk from Tesco who is going to be left to milk the cows?

The ironic thing is, a friend of mine (amongst others) have been popping into Maplins and grabbing certain components as they had up to 70% off in their liquidation sale, and selling them on personally to buyers abroad for a tidy profit on E-Bay.

The founder of Toys R'Us died recently and I read his obituary.

Seems he didn't mind trampling on people on the way up - cut margins, screwed suppliers, killed off small toy retailers. Live by the sword...

The founder of Toys R'Us died recently and I read his obituary.

Seems he didn't mind trampling on people on the way up - cut margins, screwed suppliers, killed off small toy retailers. Live by the sword...

Show me an example of capitalism that's nice. They're all ***** to a man.

Back