• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was level with that chance as I was in the East Blacks and it wasn't that straightforward for me. It came at that awkward height of being slightly too low to get a header in and slightly too high to control the volley easily. It was also just slightly behind him.

I've seen a lot worse efforts than that, including some powder puff shooting yesterday from one or two others.
Totally agree with you. It happened right in front of me in The South Upper. It was not an easy chance and many on here are being too harsh.

They are also being harsh on Freddie too imo. Contrary to those opinions I witnessed several occasions when he won headers. I also seem to recall that being a target man is not really his game and so he is either learning to play as one or is a fish out of water.

I think some on here have a bias against Timlin too, as I thought his work rate especially first half was very good.

What is glaringly obvious is the distinct lack of pace in attacking positions and we really need someone who will scare defences sh!tless!

It was a miserable day at Roots Hall yesterday but the result was one of the things that got me down the least. Strangely for a side that conceded three goals I thought our back four were quite competent. The midfield was misfiring .... Tims didn’t get stuck in and young Dru got some important decisions wrong though that’s bound to happen. The first goal decided the fate of the game. My mate said at half time that a mistake would create the first goal and sadly that came from our player of the season so far, Mark Oxley. Until then neither team looked as though they wanted to be playing apart from Oztumer who caught the eye early on and was the big difference between two mediocre sides. Substitutions were required but SCP needed to see how the players would react. They didn’t. He was just about to bring on Kightly and Fortune when the decisive second goal went in.

I’ve never subscribed to the view that our squad is of such a high standard that we really should be up there near the top. We’ve seen so many players for our opponents doing the basics at this level so much better than our ex-premiership/championship quality players that I’ve just had to accept that we’re an average, mid-table team this season.

The one positive from yesterday is that SCP has seen those players when things are going against us. He said that himself in his post match interview. There’s no way we’re in with a shout of the playoffs but conversely it won’t take too many more points to make us safe so he’s got to make good use of the rest of the season to assess the squad. I can see why he brought in Ladapo. I really like Fortune and his attitude and work – he’s done a good job for us but he won’t be here next season I’m sure. Freddie is a short term cover for him and was worth a look at. He’s got a bit of pace and height but sadly his lack of ability in the air for a big bloke is a serious shortcoming in league one and explains why he hasn’t progressed. SCP will be seeing that.

Harrison is harder to decide on. Great talent and technical skill but needs to prove he’s up to it in the tough world of league football. He’s not going to have a fair chance unless he gets a few games in Cox’s role. That might be unfair on Cox who will be a player to reckon with again once he gets a goal or two.

While we were on a roll Chris Powell could hardly change things much but now I think we’ll see Wordsworth, Wright and Mantom get a look in. Not all at once as with Kightly back I’m sure SCP will want to see him and McLaughlin fill the wide slots.

We’ve had a run of games that showed that a change of manager would help a lot but yesterday showed that more than that is needed .... a weeding out of players who may be quite talented but are not up to the week in week out graft that League One demands.

So the game itself didn’t get me down. Seeing my beloved Roots Hall in such a poor state did. The pitch, for so long our pride and joy, was awful. A season or so ago it would have been so much better despite the conditions. But watching the melting snow water dripping steadily into the light fitting outside the gents toilets in the west stand and thinking ... that’s not right, that’s downright dangerous ... made me more and more frustrated that our “imminent” move to a brand new stadium seems to be as far away as ever.

Still, three points next Saturday will work wonders.

Think the Harrison criticism is a bit harsh, he was being played out of position and that chance he had was nowhere near as easy as people are making out, it was hip height and the keeper closed him down well which put him off, I'm sure Cox and Fortune have missed far easier opportunities than that this season.

It was a miserable day at Roots Hall yesterday but the result was one of the things that got me down the least. Strangely for a side that conceded three goals I thought our back four were quite competent. The midfield was misfiring .... Tims didn’t get stuck in and young Dru got some important decisions wrong though that’s bound to happen. The first goal decided the fate of the game. My mate said at half time that a mistake would create the first goal and sadly that came from our player of the season so far, Mark Oxley. Until then neither team looked as though they wanted to be playing apart from Oztumer who caught the eye early on and was the big difference between two mediocre sides. Substitutions were required but SCP needed to see how the players would react. They didn’t. He was just about to bring on Kightly and Fortune when the decisive second goal went in.

I’ve never subscribed to the view that our squad is of such a high standard that we really should be up there near the top. We’ve seen so many players for our opponents doing the basics at this level so much better than our ex-premiership/championship quality players that I’ve just had to accept that we’re an average, mid-table team this season.

The one positive from yesterday is that SCP has seen those players when things are going against us. He said that himself in his post match interview. There’s no way we’re in with a shout of the playoffs but conversely it won’t take too many more points to make us safe so he’s got to make good use of the rest of the season to assess the squad. I can see why he brought in Ladapo. I really like Fortune and his attitude and work – he’s done a good job for us but he won’t be here next season I’m sure. Freddie is a short term cover for him and was worth a look at. He’s got a bit of pace and height but sadly his lack of ability in the air for a big bloke is a serious shortcoming in league one and explains why he hasn’t progressed. SCP will be seeing that.

Harrison is harder to decide on. Great talent and technical skill but needs to prove he’s up to it in the tough world of league football. He’s not going to have a fair chance unless he gets a few games in Cox’s role. That might be unfair on Cox who will be a player to reckon with again once he gets a goal or two.

While we were on a roll Chris Powell could hardly change things much but now I think we’ll see Wordsworth, Wright and Mantom get a look in. Not all at once as with Kightly back I’m sure SCP will want to see him and McLaughlin fill the wide slots.

We’ve had a run of games that showed that a change of manager would help a lot but yesterday showed that more than that is needed .... a weeding out of players who may be quite talented but are not up to the week in week out graft that League One demands.

So the game itself didn’t get me down. Seeing my beloved Roots Hall in such a poor state did. The pitch, for so long our pride and joy, was awful. A season or so ago it would have been so much better despite the conditions. But watching the melting snow water dripping steadily into the light fitting outside the gents toilets in the west stand and thinking ... that’s not right, that’s downright dangerous ... made me more and more frustrated that our “imminent” move to a brand new stadium seems to be as far away as ever.

Still, three points next Saturday will work wonders.

^
Top post, that!

Did he? Are you sure?

I though he reacted to the second goal by putting them both on. I didn't see them waiting to come on as Oztumer took the free kick.

He definitely did because it's dead opposite where we sit, Kightly was fully ready to come on and Fortune had his tracksuit jacket on still to keep warm. SCP had the opportunity to bring them on before the 2nd goal but delayed and hubby and I both felt that he could and should have brought them both on earlier.

I am not too downhearted. The performance wasn't nearly as bad as the score suggests. I would describe it as a nearly performance. Lots of things nearly came off and had we scored first we would have won. Not sure about Lapado his first touch isn't the greatest and he isn't that great in the air. Harrison did ok but just possibly Kightly should have started but that is with hindsight.

At least Chris has now seen the team in a different and he will have some difficult decisions to make at the end of the season. However, next season I feel the squad will be much changed and stronger.

The disappointing thing about the weekend was watching Blackburn and Wigan. Two very good sides that we more than matched at Roots Hall. Proving our best is good enough but our best has not been seen often enough this season.

Yes!Not that tall and ginger/fair hair.
I hadn’t realised he’d ever trialled for the res -I’ll be looking through my prog collection now-but I’m not surprised,as he scored literally hundreds of goals for the Old Boys Borough Comb Prem team. Cf Paul Benson at White Ensign.

Terrific player at Borough Comb level.

First time I saw him he had just come back from further up the pyramid.

Remember it well because I wondered why he was preferred to regulars.

When the game started I saw exactly why.

Of course it is and our previous manager was particularly inept in that respect. We were all hoping the current one would be much, much better. Yesterday was therefore disappointing.

David Webb was awful with subs but he did quite well I think.

Yes, I was in the east stand, with a lovely view of the technical area, and they were both on the touch line with SCP, ready to go just before the free kick was awarded.

Fair enough. I'm in East Blacks so my view of the dugout is slightly obscured.

However, like OBL, I think the subs should have been made earlier... as soon as we went 1-0 down actually.

Ladapo is worse than Theo Robinson
is he Ranger in disguise? Ladapo looked terrible for me, this and the game before.. does not hardly get of the ground, worse than that is his positioning, does not predict where the ball will be flicked on, does not pull into space for a teammate to pass. Not good enough for this level at the moment.

Back