• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry, I don't think it was deserved; yes he scored 3 goals (2 etremely helpful by us) but other than that, I didn't think he was that good.

I would only clap an oposition player if he was head and shoulders above everyone else.
Fair enough but on Saturday he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile imho.

That’s really harsh to be sent off for diving in another game.

I think Agogo was clapped when he scored a superb goal in the semi final second leg of the Auto Windscreens.

It was sufficiently late in the game that it didn't matter and we were feeling generous after an excellent win in the first leg.

I vaguely recall rumours that we were going to sign him at the time, which may also have had something to do with it..........

I didn't clap him and I'm glad I didn't, as he didn't clap us clapping him:clap::clap:

Can remember the crowd applauding Peter Beardsley when he played at Roots Hall later on in his career for Fulham or perhaps Hartlepool?

Hartlepool. If I remember correctly that was his last ever professional game which may explain the crowds warmth towards him.

Gerry Francis - former England captain was player manager for Exeter in 1983/84. He lashed in a remarkable shot from about 30 yards and was applauded all the way back to the half way line.

Yep a 3-0 loss. I think the days are long gone when a former England captain would turn up as a player manager of an unfashionable club in the Third Tier. Which is a bit of a shame really as there's not a lot of class about these days -just huff and puff and running. Gerry Francis was born on the same day as me so I always had a soft spot for him!
Also playing in that particular match was former Southend United and England player Peter"Spud"Taylor who according to the following match programme signed for Exeter City rather than resigning for Southend United because we only wanted to give "Spud" a short term deal. Peter made 8 league & 2 F.A.Cup appearances for Exeter City winning just once in the match at Roots Hall. Exeter City were also knocked out of the Cup by non-league Maidstone United after a replay.(1-1 & 2-1)
When Peter Taylor left Exeter City after 3 months, ironically he signed for Maidstone United.
In the return match later in the 1983-84 season Southend Utd. drew 3-3 at St.James Park with goals from Brian Ferguson,
Steve Phillips & Ron Pountney(Att.1,782). Playing against us that day for Exeter City was Martin Ling & Roy McDonough.
Roy had in fact joined Exeter City in January having played against them for Southend United earlier that season.

Would this fall into the "fondly remembered ex player" category though? We beat Villa and I don't recall him doing anything out of the ordinary that day. But I was only 10...
He was not only clapped , The North Bank sang his name , Chico was still remembered from a couple of seasons back .

Back