Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prostate Cancer checks

X Factor Winner 1943 and PHB Tinks's Avatar

I totally agree with OBL - us ladies have the privilege of being able to participate in a national screening programme which I would advocate people take up as it does save lives.
    Although there is no national screening for prostate I think if anyone is worried then a simple blood test and a trip to the GP should allay any anxieties.
    Please I would urge any of you male posters to get checked as if diagnosed early like most conditions now it can be treated and monitored and a simple 5-10 minute doctor consultation could actually save your life
    Sitting here learning to cook, passing the time away until SUFC have built a 4-sided stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
    I totally agree with OBL - us ladies have the privilege of being able to participate in a national screening programme which I would advocate people take up as it does save lives.
    Although there is no national screening for prostate I think if anyone is worried then a simple blood test and a trip to the GP should allay any anxieties.
    Please I would urge any of you male posters to get checked as if diagnosed early like most conditions now it can be treated and monitored and a simple 5-10 minute doctor consultation could actually save your life
    The PSA blood test for prostate cancer does not always allay concerns - that's the issue. 15% of men who have a normal result actually have cancer

Your advice is definitely right though, any concerns - go to the doctor.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubey View Post
    The PSA blood test for prostate cancer does not always allay concerns - that's the issue. 15% of men who have a normal result actually have cancer

Your advice is definitely right though, any concerns - go to the doctor.
    I genuinely think men should go and see their GP and request a PSA blood test bi-annually post 50. I would be amazed if a GP turned down that request. I understand the possibility that there are inaccuracies, but better that than discovering you have Prostate Cancer in it's later stages.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rootshallbloke View Post
    I genuinely think men should go and see their GP and request a PSA blood test bi-annually post 50. I would be amazed if a GP turned down that request. I understand the possibility that there are inaccuracies, but better that than discovering you have Prostate Cancer in it's later stages.
    I had a text from my Dr's today, giving me statistics about smoking. At my time in life, I would have thought they should have suggested I had a PSA blood test?.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Got my latest result today.I'm in the clear.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

Had mine checked last year and have an enlarged prostate which means I am on tabs for the rest of my life but it's better than having cancer

Found some blood in my love snot on Monday so phoned the docs and, despite being fully booked, they agreed to see me that day. Was a bit worrying as he made it sound like it might be serious.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, he shoved his (surprisingly large) finger up my arse, had a good rummage around and after a while told me everything was fine. I wondered why he had such a sweat on, but was pretty relieved to be given the all clear.

He asked me to go back this coming Monday for a further check 'just to be sure'.
    Non Stop Dancer...

Well in light of this thread, and learning only last night that my Grandad is suffering with Prostate cancer although common in older men still a shock to the system I have decided to ride London to surrey 46.

I have never done anything like this before, I'll admit I'm a 'big' guy who smokes and is very unfit so for me this is massive.

I'm looking to raise as much money as possible for Prostate cancer uk If any of you would like to help by donating it would be very much appreciated.

I will post my justgiving page on here shortly and would love for any advice or guidance from anyone who has raised money for charity before on how to go about getting as much as possible and from anyone who has done charity rides or marathons on how best to start preparing.

I think it is safe to say I am completely throwing myself into the deep end here!

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by SUFC_Ross View Post
    Well in light of this thread, and learning only last night that my Grandad is suffering with Prostate cancer although common in older men still a shock to the system I have decided to ride London to surrey 46.

I have never done anything like this before, I'll admit I'm a 'big' guy who smokes and is very unfit so for me this is massive.

I'm looking to raise as much money as possible for Prostate cancer uk If any of you would like to help by donating it would be very much appreciated.

I will post my justgiving page on here shortly and would love for any advice or guidance from anyone who has raised money for charity before on how to go about getting as much as possible and from anyone who has done charity rides or marathons on how best to start preparing.

I think it is safe to say I am completely throwing myself into the deep end here!

Ross
    Stopping the evil weed would be a good start.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    Stopping the evil weed would be a good start.
    He doesn't mean cannabis you know.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

My just giving page for Ride London-Surrey is
    http://click.contact.justgiving.com/?qs=de206b99911bb2ada3806a23be52eae64176b1936cddb7 6aedb7f726f5cb8dbf1fa8b01bded6221a5bc019047f9fb22d 5a7b2ded09b8dad7

If anyone would like to donate, it is going to a great cause and I would be very very grateful!