• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I had a phone call earlier today from Billy Best who informed me that our former defender Big John Kurila had passed away aged 76.
Fans of a certain age will remember John who was a tough no nonsense Scottish defender, who joined us in the summer of 1968 and played in every match of that unforgetable season.
John marked his debut for us by scoring in the 6-1 rout of Bournemouth at Dean Court in the League Cup.
In total John made over 100 appearances for the club and scored 1 league goal which was against Newport County in the final home match of the 1968-69 season.
John was voted "Player of the Year" that season and along with my good friend Mick we had the privilege to present the trophy to John in the final home match that season.
John Kurila left us in 1970 and joined our local neighbours Colchester United and was part of that team that knocked Leeds United out of the F.A.Cup in 1971.
We wish to send our deepest sympathies to all John's Family and his many Friends.

I had a phone call earlier today from Billy Best who informed me that our former defender Big John Kurila had passed away aged 76.
Fans of a certain age will remember John who was a tough no nonsense Scottish defender, who joined us in the summer of 1968 and played in every match of that unforgetable season.
John marked his debut for us by scoring in the 6-1 rout of Bournemouth at Dean Court in the League Cup.
In total John made over 100 appearances for the club and scored 1 league goal which was against Newport County in the final home match of the 1968-69 season.
John was voted "Player of the Year" that season and along with my good friend Mick we had the privilege to present the trophy to John in the final home match that season.
John Kurila left us in 1970 and joined our local neighbours Colchester United and was part of that team that knocked Leeds United out of the F.A.Cup in 1971.
We wish to send our deepest sympathies to all John's Family and his many Friends.

Terribly sad.

Probably the hardest player I ever saw in a Blues shirt.

A great favourite and left us with some terrific memories.

They don't tackle like that any more.

RIP John and thanks.

So sorry to hear this. He was such a whole hearted, never say die character and must have been a fearsome prospect for any opposing forward to face. I swear some of his tackles used to make the ground shake.

Sad to hear that. Can remember as a very young lad seeing some daft opponent decide to push and shove big John while waiting for a corner. Seconds later he was on the end of a swinging arm and totally out for the count. John was a fearsome defender who in todays game would be a referees nightmare. RIP

Great player, I remember him well from those halycon days...... I was just looking online for a pic of him and stumbled across this site, which I have never seen before.. :stunned:

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Southend United F.C.

Well done Cricko, good spot, seems a good website. Although whilst trawling through the front page.... I must say that picture of Joe Bradshaw, he looks in excellent condition considering he was born in 1884! :smile:

Sad news,indeed. As a young boy I saw him play many times, & was definitely inspired by his style of play when I was playing in school matches. Thanks for the memories John! With love & condolences to family & friends ��

This is so sad , say hello to Trevor Roberts for me , RIP John .

Back in the day my dad was mates with Frank Walton.

I remember Frank telling us that we had just signed a player who had stood up to John and therefore he was the kind of player that we wanted.

That player was Joe Jacques (RIP) and that's why we signed him.

JK was harder.

very sad,RIP John.K
if i remember correctly,when our manager A.Rowley put him on the transfer list...he got a death threat ,over the phone.Im sure that was in the papers those days.
That would have been a blood bath, if John.K had too play against Bill Garner!!!!

Back