Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Rochdale v Southend United

  1. #1
    Members leeblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On the seafront c c csiders
    Posts
    8,043

    Default Rochdale v Southend United

    Another game coming on Tuesday....a decent pitch too. I think Powell is in a squad assessment mode at the moment. Hence Wright getting a full game, ladapo starting a few along with Harrison.
    My team for dale.

    ..............oxley
    Demi Turner Anton Coker
    Macca dru mantom kightly
    ......... Wordsworth
    ....................cox

    Change in formation I know but having different plans is a good thing imo. Also when he is on it wordsworth is our best player in and around the box especially when coming from that attacking midfield area.
    not always good but never ever boring

  2. #2

    Default

    Agree Woody needs to be in the side to prove he needs a new contract .Not sure why we got Manton unless we are likely to sign him on a permanent basis.CP looking on who retain for next year after Saturday Wright could be on the move.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'd feel more comfortable if we just put our best side out and tried to win the game for the moment.

    Under SCP so far, we haven't beaten any of the sides below us that we've played and with 5 out of the next 7 away and the 2 home games against form sides, I'd rather we sorted the points out first.

  4. #4
    Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Benfleet
    Posts
    43,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I'd feel more comfortable if we just put our best side out and tried to win the game for the moment.

    Under SCP so far, we haven't beaten any of the sides below us that we've played and with 5 out of the next 7 away and the 2 home games against form sides, I'd rather we sorted the points out first.
    Me too, and, despite his game last Saturday, that means Timlin in the middle. Quite happy to try the above formation, particularly as I think a 2nd game in 4 days may be a bit much for Marco, but midfield must include Tims.

  5. #5
    Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Westcliiff riviera
    Posts
    12,577

    Default Rochdale AFC vs Southend United

    Here comes Tuesday and finally, Rochdale away at the Crown Oil Stadium. They're third from bottom of FL1 but have three games in hand over the other strugglers down there. They picked up three points on Saturday away to Rotherham so it should be a very easy three points for us I reckon.

    Because our pitch looked as if it was draining the players legs on Saturday I think Chris Powell will mix it up a bit for the starting eleven.

    If it was me in his position I would start with this team:

    Oxley
    Demetriou Turner Ferdinand Coker
    McLaughlin Yearwood Mantom Kightly
    Cox Harrison

    As Rochdale have a nice new playing surface it should give us the opportunity to play a bit more football on the ground than of recent weeks. I thought about starting Fortune but decided against it as the game is so soon after Doncaster. Probably I have got it horribly wrong, but we will see. Realistically I think we will be lucky to come away with a draw.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

  6. #6

    Default

    Will be a very tough game against a improving Rochdale team, forget where they are in the league as this will be a very hard game to get anything at all

  7. #7

    Default

    One of the reasons why they are where they are in the League is that they still have 10 home games left (plus only 4 away) to play in the 54 days remaining this season. This is only their 3rd home league game since before Xmas and they've only lost 3 at home so far. So I think they will see this as a good chance of 3 points particularly given our recent performances there.

    With 4 long trips to Lancashire 1 to Yorkshire and 1 to South Devon before the end of the season it will be interesting how we travel as we are not out of trouble yet given the state of our pitch. We haven't travelled long distances well this season and I can see 53 or 54 points being needed this year.

    Mind you Cox is due a goal in 2018. 1-1 would be good.

  8. #8

    Default

    Didn't Cox go off with an injury?
    With another game possibly coming too soon for Marco, could be Freddie up top.

    Rochdale like a 3 at the back so we could go to a one up top. Woody in for one of the strikers may be the change Powell makes.

  9. #9

    Default

    It should be counter attack football with one deep mid covering back four. However, to play well, I think we should go with a 4-4-2 and play our A game and let them worry about us. We have the personnel to be competitive and, given a fair wind, we have the players who can win it.

  10. #10

    Default

    I think Saturday showed what a quality player MAF is, he reads the game and holds the ball up so well and some of his little blind-side passes (eg to Macca in the first half) were sublime. The problem is his age - given how hard the pitch would have been on his legs on Saturday, can we expect another performance like that from him tomorrow night? I have my doubts. I guess that goes for any of the older players.

    I wasn't impressed by Wright on Saturday and would like to see Mantom given a chance - I guess the question is who plays alongside him, does he let Dru keep going or give him a rest? If not is the team set up more to have Timlin or Wordsworth as his partner? I'll leave that to Chris Powell and his advisors as they've seen Mantom play and I haven't!

    I think the forwards are more of a concern - Cox and MAF are so superior to the other options available, that I think he'll just play them until they run themselves into the ground. The other option is that he plays Wordsworth as a 5th midfielder and gives Cox a rest, but then I suppose Harrison might be able to play a similar role...

    I'd also like to see McGlashan on the bench as I think we were lacking a wide option to bring on on Saturday.

    Lots of permutations to think about, but for what it's worth, my pick would be:

    Oxley

    Demitriou Turner Ferdinand Coker

    McLaughlin Mantom Timlin Kightley

    Cox Fortuné


    Subs: Bishop, Kyprianou, Wright, Yearwood, McGlashan, Harrison, Robinson

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpergarry View Post
    I think Saturday showed what a quality player MAF is, he reads the game and holds the ball up so well and some of his little blind-side passes (eg to Macca in the first half) were sublime. The problem is his age - given how hard the pitch would have been on his legs on Saturday, can we expect another performance like that from him tomorrow night? I have my doubts. I guess that goes for any of the older players.

    I wasn't impressed by Wright on Saturday and would like to see Mantom given a chance - I guess the question is who plays alongside him, does he let Dru keep going or give him a rest? If not is the team set up more to have Timlin or Wordsworth as his partner? I'll leave that to Chris Powell and his advisors as they've seen Mantom play and I haven't!

    I think the forwards are more of a concern - Cox and MAF are so superior to the other options available, that I think he'll just play them until they run themselves into the ground. The other option is that he plays Wordsworth as a 5th midfielder and gives Cox a rest, but then I suppose Harrison might be able to play a similar role...

    I'd also like to see McGlashan on the bench as I think we were lacking a wide option to bring on on Saturday.

    Lots of permutations to think about, but for what it's worth, my pick would be:

    Oxley

    Demitriou Turner Ferdinand Coker

    McLaughlin Mantom Timlin Kightley

    Cox Fortuné


    Subs: Bishop, Kyprianou, Wright, Yearwood, McGlashan, Harrison, Robinson
    A couple of mentions for Wordsworth in diffrent options , then he doesn't even make your bench !

  12. #12

    Default

    Probably our most important game of the season so far.
    Win or draw this one and it is very unlikely we would end up in the bottom 3. We would then only maybe need another 4 or 5 points to avoid relegation.

  13. #13

    Default

    Haha - good point, well made!

  14. #14
    Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Benfleet
    Posts
    43,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpergarry View Post
    I'd also like to see McGlashan on the bench as I think we were lacking a wide option to bring on on Saturday.
    Yes, find it odd how out of favour he is, he's always been a good selection if only to bring on to run at tired defences to force them into mistakes. I also think McLaughlin could probably do with a rest, he's taken a couple of big challenges in recent games that have left him limping.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    Yes, find it odd how out of favour he is, he's always been a good selection if only to bring on to run at tired defences to force them into mistakes. I also think McLaughlin could probably do with a rest, he's taken a couple of big challenges in recent games that have left him limping.
    Agreed and also think he was quite off form on Saturday, nothing was coming off for him and he kept losing the ball. Can remember in the second half him tearing lumps out of Demetriou for a misplaced pass which was pretty rich considering he was having a stinker himself. That said he did still put one quality ball in from a set piece which should have given us the lead so it’s worth bearing in mind what you lose when he’s not there.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ShrimperZone.Com Official Sponsors