• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blueronron

Manager
Not sure where to put this, but a lovely story re the Funeral of Sammy the Shrimp from BBC

Dave, 34, from Manchester, was Manchester City’s Moonchester from 2000 to 2008. If you’re not familiar with Moonchester, it’s basically a massive, sky-blue alien.

One of the stories he told us was about the time he and a few of the mascots were asked to go, in costume, to the funeral of one of their peers.

"It was (the Southend mascot) Sammy the Shrimp’s funeral. He was a good mate and he wanted mascots at his funeral. We were more than happy to oblige. There was me, Gunnersaurus, Lenny (The Bradford City Gent), and some of the other guys.

“We led the coffin into the crematorium in costume and stood at the side during the service. The priest conducting the service said, 'Let’s just have a moment of reflection and bow our heads'. We all do.

"Gunnersaurus had, like, an eight-foot neck, though, and when he bowed, he took out about three mourners with his massive head. It was just the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.”

“They played The Never Ending Story at the end of the service. By the end of it, the mascots were all doing air guitar in the crematorium.”

This, for some reason, reminds me of the great "who ate all the pies" feature a while back, regarding mascots inappropriately present during a minute's silence! :smile: :-

PA-12096125.jpg

RIP Sammy the Shrimp

[video=youtube;KOlnK0RySDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlnK0RySDY[/video]

I'm not sure Sammy's died, they just forked out loads of money for a new costume for him - just can't find anyone to wear it regularly!

I did love that mascot race at Colchester though - so very funny when Sammy went and mugged the Colchester thing!

Back