Likes Likes:  1

Thread: RIP Stephen Hawking

Emma Bunton's No. 1 stalker, Adam Barretts No. 1 fan. * ORM *'s Avatar
    Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong

Default RIP Stephen Hawking

Deserves its own thread
    An SUFC exile in Hong Kong since 1 Feb 2012 and a fan since 1973.

CO-FOUNDER SHRIMPERZONE F.C. and STILL playing league football in HK at the age of 51

It's a miracle he lived this long - I think the doctors gave him 2 years back when he was first diagnosed back in the 60s.

Hector Of The House Benfleet A1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    It's a miracle he lived this long - I think the doctors gave him 2 years back when he was first diagnosed back in the 60s.
    He was given 2 years at the age of 22 so miracle indeed. A very clever man.
    Lord, in your mercy please give my friend a stroke

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

I may be wrong but I can't see that he was ever given any of the awards within the remit of the Crown, which seems an amazing oversight if so. We give our knighthoods to all sorts of people who entertain us, why not to academics of the level of Hawking?

A truly Great Briton. RIP sir.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    I may be wrong but I can't see that he was ever given any of the awards within the remit of the Crown, which seems an amazing oversight if so. We give our knighthoods to all sorts of people who entertain us, why not to academics of the level of Hawking?

Knighthoods are handed out to senior military, police and civil servants just for doing their job.

My bet is that Stephen Hawking was happy enough doing what he loved.
    Ponce.

Perfumed Ponce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cyril View Post
    Knighthoods are handed out to senior military, police and civil servants just for doing their job.

My bet is that Stephen Hawking was happy enough doing what he loved.
    Whatís worse is Andy Murray got a knighthood and Stephen Hawkings hasnít. But remember Hawkings did turn down the offer.

I watched the film made about him a couple of weeks back which is excellent if you havenít seen it.

A brilliant man who defied all critics and doctors. RIP Sir!

On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the shops)

He may have died yet his voice will live on.
    Twitter: @RobertFox278 SIMPLICITER SE NUNQUAM DIMISIT

The Simpsons will never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post

He refused a knighthood in protest to science funding cuts.

Ken Dodd only got a knighthood last year also! Two legends in their own field sadly gone.
    "Within 45 minutes, pound of petrol, half a lager, I was in her knickers'- Roy McDonough

Stephen Hawkings , great man and a great mind , would love to know what he thought of Dick Bate and Colin Murphy .

Emma Bunton's No. 1 stalker, Adam Barretts No. 1 fan. * ORM *'s Avatar
    Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by sosborne View Post
    Stephen Hawkings , great man and a great mind , would love to know what he thought of Dick Bate and Colin Murphy .
    It formed part of his black hole thesis. I remember vividly laughing at him in the 70s when he would often be on TV. Not ashamed to admit that. Spastic wasn’t just an acceptable term in society there would be collections for the spastics society. Shortened to spas, spasmo and similar in the playgrounds. I can genuinely say that as I matured he was one of the few people that made me have any interest in science (maths was always a strong point of mine). Similar I guess that Cousteau, Bellamy and Attenborough in the thirst for investigation and sharing.

Though intellectually on another level you have to wonder how his life would have panned out without the affliction. Sad for him to have 50 years of frustration, good for us that he found a way to channel it.The film is definitely recommended.
    An SUFC exile in Hong Kong since 1 Feb 2012 and a fan since 1973.

CO-FOUNDER SHRIMPERZONE F.C. and STILL playing league football in HK at the age of 51

For all we know Steven Hawking could have been hacked by the Russians. None of it may be true and they are sitting back laughing.