• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Stephen Hawking

It's a miracle he lived this long - I think the doctors gave him 2 years back when he was first diagnosed back in the 60s.

I may be wrong but I can't see that he was ever given any of the awards within the remit of the Crown, which seems an amazing oversight if so. We give our knighthoods to all sorts of people who entertain us, why not to academics of the level of Hawking?

A truly Great Briton. RIP sir.

I may be wrong but I can't see that he was ever given any of the awards within the remit of the Crown, which seems an amazing oversight if so. We give our knighthoods to all sorts of people who entertain us, why not to academics of the level of Hawking?

Knighthoods are handed out to senior military, police and civil servants just for doing their job.

My bet is that Stephen Hawking was happy enough doing what he loved.

Knighthoods are handed out to senior military, police and civil servants just for doing their job.

My bet is that Stephen Hawking was happy enough doing what he loved.

What’s worse is Andy Murray got a knighthood and Stephen Hawkings hasn’t. But remember Hawkings did turn down the offer.

I watched the film made about him a couple of weeks back which is excellent if you haven’t seen it.

A brilliant man who defied all critics and doctors. RIP Sir!

He refused a knighthood in protest to science funding cuts.

Stephen Hawkings , great man and a great mind , would love to know what he thought of Dick Bate and Colin Murphy .:winking:

Stephen Hawkings , great man and a great mind , would love to know what he thought of Dick Bate and Colin Murphy .:winking:

It formed part of his black hole thesis. I remember vividly laughing at him in the 70s when he would often be on TV. Not ashamed to admit that. Spastic wasn’t just an acceptable term in society there would be collections for the spastics society. Shortened to spas, spasmo and similar in the playgrounds. I can genuinely say that as I matured he was one of the few people that made me have any interest in science (maths was always a strong point of mine). Similar I guess that Cousteau, Bellamy and Attenborough in the thirst for investigation and sharing.

Though intellectually on another level you have to wonder how his life would have panned out without the affliction. Sad for him to have 50 years of frustration, good for us that he found a way to channel it.The film is definitely recommended.

For all we know Steven Hawking could have been hacked by the Russians. None of it may be true and they are sitting back laughing.

Back