• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WC in Russia

rigsby

Life President⭐
As far as I'm aware we have no proof so far but if we decide Russia are to blame for the nerve agent attack should we consider boycotting the world cup?

One thing is obvious to me about the whole incident is that virtually none of the protocols for a chemical incident were followed.

Why it took a week to do what should have been done in the first few hours I find difficult to comprehend. Either the authorities have been shockingly negligent or they are trying to stretch it out and make it look worse than it is for political reasons.

I think Putin needs to sit down and watch Rocky IV before Russia get their arse smacked again.

Last edited:
Boris Johnson started talking about a WC boycott straight away. Others have down graded that to officials boycotting it. Then the Mail put call for a boycott on their front page.
Would be a vote loser for the team to have to boycott I should think. That may effect a decision.

No one will give a **** if we pull out apart from us, especially not the Russians. They'll just beat the crap out of the supporters of which ever team replaces us.

I would be in favour of a boycott if we (FA) can organise a Unity Cup for England to play in, alongside selected other teams such as Italy, USA, Holland, Wales, Scotland, N. ireland etc.
If it was an alternative strong and interesting Cup then maybe Russia would NOT be so happy about the boycott; especially if some broadcasters/sponsors got behind it and withdrew from Russian comp too.

Agreed (tuib),then they say if we do,we wont be allowed to play(if we get there),in the next WC either.

No chance at all of us boycotting the World Cup in Russia.

That may be so but the question was do you think we should.

I personally took the decision to boycott any future WC's a few years back, because of THIEFA and the choice of host nations. I don't watch any of the qualifiers either. .....In the last 5 major championships, England's players usually start their own boycott once the whistle goes to KO their first group match.

That may be so but the question was do you think we should.

I personally took the decision to boycott any future WC's a few years back, because of THIEFA and the choice of host nations. I don't watch any of the qualifiers either. .....In the last 5 major championships, England's players usually start their own boycott once the whistle goes to KO their first group match.

Likewise for me, I stopped going to England games 30 years ago as the fans behavior was too often horrendous, embarrassing, unpleasant and sometimes frightening.
The last International I attended was at Hillsborough and watched with the Croatian fans a 3 nil demolition of the European champions, Schmichael's Denmark. Both sets of fans were very good.

We should have boycotted it the minute Russia were awarded it.

Its a nailed on certainty that this World Cup will be littered with controversy. The racism & hooligan element alone should have been enough to scrap this *****, Nevermind the the bribery

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be in favour of a boycott if we (FA) can organise a Unity Cup for England to play in, alongside selected other teams such as Italy, USA, Holland, Wales, Scotland, N. ireland etc.
If it was an alternative strong and interesting Cup then maybe Russia would NOT be so happy about the boycott; especially if some broadcasters/sponsors got behind it and withdrew from Russian comp too.

\A fair idea TBH, but including Scotland would make Putin p@ss himself laughing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42001722

America were talking about doing when they got knocked out of the qualifiers. It quickly went quiet, probably because no one was interested.

Back