• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfortunately there will still be at least 10 teams with more to spend than us next season. There will also be some interesting clubs coming up, so it all depends on what you deem a success.

Far to many Southend fans are now sounding like PL glory hunters and see anything less than promotion as a failure., wasted season etc. The fact that we were booing our own payers half way through August and demanding the manager be sacked meant we were guaranteed failure.

Lets hope CP and who ever he signs aren't targeted long before we finish this years cricket season

I'm glad you have cleared up the confusion and blamed the fans for our clubs failure this season :smile:. There are two points you missed. One, the manager had earned the chance to be replaced and two, the players did more than enough to deserve every boo they received. Sadly, I think some of the same players are still worth a good booing but others will tell me it is so destructive to the players confidence. The side, and I specifically avoided the word team, have a few washers missing in their head mechanism. They are unable to be a consistent collective and, for me, that is down to insufficient loyalty.

You are right about what constitutes success to some and failure to others. My main yardstick, ooh er mrs, is whether the players give their all. On that, they failed this season, and would as long as they are kept together. Change is vital and long overdue.

I'm glad you have cleared up the confusion and blamed the fans for our clubs failure this season :smile:. There are two points you missed. One, the manager had earned the chance to be replaced and two, the players did more than enough to deserve every boo they received. Sadly, I think some of the same players are still worth a good booing but others will tell me it is so destructive to the players confidence. The side, and I specifically avoided the word team, have a few washers missing in their head mechanism. They are unable to be a consistent collective and, for me, that is down to insufficient loyalty.

You are right about what constitutes success to some and failure to others. My main yardstick, ooh er mrs, is whether the players give their all. On that, they failed this season, and would as long as they are kept together. Change is vital and long overdue.

That sort of ignorance is why the likes of Oxley and Ferdinand dive down the tunnel and won't even look up at the fans anymore.

How does that make other players feel or what about our next few signings. Bad news travels fast in the behind the scenes in the world of football.

Last edited:
I know resources play a part in what players can be brought together .... but it isn't everything.

I cast by eyes at the top of division 4 to see Accers leading the way.

The value of a manager bringing the right group of players together is invaluable - and I am looking for C.P. as being responsible for that.

That sort of ignorance is why the likes of Oxley and Ferdinand dive down the tunnel and won't even look up at the fans anymore.

How does that make other players feel or what about our next few signings. Bad news travels fast in the behind the scenes world of football.

Spot on. They are human beings at the end of the day.

How does that make other players feel or what about our next few signings. Bad news travels fast in the behind the scenes world of football.
Yes!

You don't boo your own team. You support them! When they're doing badly, you encourage them and lift them up.

How do you think any of us would do at work if, every time we weren't perfect, someone got on our backs and started booing us.

If you're going to boo Southend, don't bother coming to Roots Hall. The team don't need that and the rest of us don't want muppets like you.

Not sure if someone has already asked this... but what would you define as a “successful” season?

For me, it’s just staying in and around mid table and that would be classed as a good season.

Not sure if someone has already asked this... but what would you define as a “successful” season?

For me, it’s just staying in and around mid table and that would be classed as a good season.

Until FF then I am in accord with mid table as OK; but I hope for 4th round of a cup, sometimes I dream of 2nd round!

Yes!

You don't boo your own team. You support them! When they're doing badly, you encourage them and lift them up.

How do you think any of us would do at work if, every time we weren't perfect, someone got on our backs and started booing us.

If you're going to boo Southend, don't bother coming to Roots Hall. The team don't need that and the rest of us don't want muppets like you.

Small section boo’ed our players as the h/t whistle sounded on Saturday, really irritates me that.

Win, lose or draw, home or away I always stay after the final whistle to applause the players, firstly out of respect but also for the reasons you highlight above.

Yes!

There was a post on here about respect others views, and the difference between a view and a direct attack (many don’t know) I don’t boo, but if some do that’s up to them, I would not say ”dont come to roots hall, not welcome” it’s basically what you said... football is nothing like a normal job, and getting booed at work, it’s a spectator sport, well it’s meant to be.

Quite right. Some of our performances this season have been abysmal. Driving back from a pub side performance at Rotherham I can assure you I booed. Whether people think it's ok or not I'm not bothered. But I took a day off of work spent money on ticket and fuel for the 6 hour round trip to basically be mugged off by the team.

Went to Blackburn and clapped the players off for a defeat on the back of a committed performance.

Win lose or draw. I have no complaints as long as the team give 100%. If they don't then we as paying customers/fans have every right to complain.

Stop trying to play it down as only booing. It's not its vile personal abuse that if any of your work colleagues did to you they would be sacked immediately. Yes it's not a normal job and we aren't workmates. As supporters we should be doing exactly that. Not trying to take out our own personal failures on our own players.

Oxley was being abused just 40 minutes into the Rotherham away game. Fortune took so much abuse at the final whistle he had to be pulled back by his own team. Forget wheeling out your standard 'manger had lost the dressing room'. The utter p#### claiming they have paid their money so they have a right, have lost far to many players in recent times.

Last edited:
Booing is not new, but I suspect has increased. Over 60 years ago when I began to make this club one of my great passions , booing was evident on the terraces a although perhaps more as a sanction of last resort as was jeering, cheering , sarcasm and wit. Things have moved on since then for good or evil and the tide will not be turned back.
To some extent the Premier league holds some accountability for the increased intensity. Huge prices beyond some folks means, mega, ridiculous spiralling wages and transfer fees and much more cheating. At the same time Fans especially at this level see players opting for more tantrums , sulking or refusing to play and getting into dispute with their club.
So no wonder the sense of a right to be entertained has gained traction as fans become increasingly mere punters, consumers or customers the bonds start to weaken ! A poor return on your cash or effort to attend is less acceptable, given the finances involved

I dont fully subscribe to the right to be entertained but like most Southend fans expect at least not to be offended by a lack of effort, which is the last straw. Cheering, and Booing is accepted as much more part of the match day experience. Players are also subject to much more media scrutiny and level of analysis. We can all see now when players fail or dont put in the effort. Every effort is analysed.

So at one level you could rightly call the modern equality of cheering and booing as at least democratic even if its not always so great for certain players. Nowadays its all part of the game. I do believe players need to be able to stand up to this and not be too woosie about it. After all you are being paid reasonably well to kick a football about and no doubt enjoy all the plaudits. Equally blaming fans for the teams performance if they get booed is rather a diversionary tactic at times. Some Managers expect their players to get the odd rocket from the terraces.

There was a post on here about respect others views, and the difference between a view and a direct attack (many don’t know) I don’t boo, but if some do that’s up to them, I would not say ”dont come to roots hall, not welcome” it’s basically what you said... football is nothing like a normal job, and getting booed at work, it’s a spectator sport, well it’s meant to be.
Let me know where you work and I'll turn up and hurl abuse at you when you're having an off day, see how you like it.

I don't care how much someone gets paid or what job they do, the people who claim to be their supporters shouldn't boo their side.

Booing is not new, but I suspect has increased. Over 60 years ago when I began to make this club one of my great passions , booing was evident on the terraces a although perhaps more as a sanction of last resort as was jeering, cheering , sarcasm and wit. Things have moved on since then for good or evil and the tide will not be turned back.
To some extent the Premier league holds some accountability for the increased intensity. Huge prices beyond some folks means, mega, ridiculous spiralling wages and transfer fees and much more cheating. At the same time Fans especially at this level see players opting for more tantrums , sulking or refusing to play and getting into dispute with their club.
So no wonder the sense of a right to be entertained has gained traction as fans become increasingly mere punters, consumers or customers the bonds start to weaken ! A poor return on your cash or effort to attend is less acceptable, given the finances involved

I dont fully subscribe to the right to be entertained but like most Southend fans expect at least not to be offended by a lack of effort, which is the last straw. Cheering, and Booing is accepted as much more part of the match day experience. Players are also subject to much more media scrutiny and level of analysis. We can all see now when players fail or dont put in the effort. Every effort is analysed.

So at one level you could rightly call the modern equality of cheering and booing as at least democratic even if its not always so great for certain players. Nowadays its all part of the game. I do believe players need to be able to stand up to this and not be too woosie about it. After all you are being paid reasonably well to kick a football about and no doubt enjoy all the plaudits. Equally blaming fans for the teams performance if they get booed is rather a diversionary tactic at times. Some Managers expect their players to get the odd rocket from the terraces.

Back in the 60's how many young players were targeted on social media and told the were a F****** disgrace and should F**** off immediately.

Back in the 60's how many players had to have 3 games off because of stress and then refused to sign a new contract.

Back in the 60's 70's 80's and even 90's if some coward abused a player from the safety of a seat and behind a row of stewards, then the player could give it back. The modern spineless whinger will demand action from the club, the FA and the police if they get answered back.

Back in the 60's how many young players were targeted on social media and told the were a F****** disgrace and should F**** off immediately.

Back in the 60's how many players had to have 3 games off because of stress and then refused to sign a new contract.

Back in the 60's 70's 80's and even 90's if some coward abused a player from the safety of a seat and behind a row of stewards, then the player could give it back. The modern spineless whinger will demand action from the club, the FA and the police if they get answered back.

Strange that you were such a supporter of PB, who publicly outed players over a poor performance, and then suggest a fan booing is so bad. I think maybe a player might get more stress related problems being directly named by the gaffer and plastered across media as responsible for the defeat. But what do I know?

This is a tough forum, and a tough post. It’s dammed if you do/don’t. I’m not a fan as CP as a manager, but some will breath fire at me, as they just hold the past, cult player as god, (yes I was a supporter back then too) sir and all that, not for me, but as I said, really good guy, great player for us.

I don’t know what needs to happen to make the season successful, but playing Simon Cox upfront, burning him out with long ball tactics is not a great thing to do, it’s not about trying players, as no pro would do that, many may say it’s successful because we were not relighted, I’d say it was an ok season, but on the players we have, I hoped for a higher finish

Whilst I don't condone booing our own players at all - it does seem that some on here suggest that booing is unique only to Southend and as such we may become a pariah club in the football world- I would suggest that booing, however distasteful, is common to many clubs.

I myself would never boo one of my own players ,but i s,pose its pretty common in football now and something the players have to learn to live with and expect if they dont give 100% percent effort in each and every game, giving 100% effort doesnt mean they will always be on top off their game becoz naturally like all footballers they will have off days,its lack of effort i think gets to the supporters most of all. As for next season a massive clearout of players is whats needed,and some new young blood bought in.SCP must stop playing negative 4-5-1 tactics leaving Cox up front on his own ,terrible tactic sorry.

Quite right. Some of our performances this season have been abysmal. Driving back from a pub side performance at Rotherham I can assure you I booed. Whether people think it's ok or not I'm not bothered. But I took a day off of work spent money on ticket and fuel for the 6 hour round trip to basically be mugged off by the team.

Went to Blackburn and clapped the players off for a defeat on the back of a committed performance.

Win lose or draw. I have no complaints as long as the team give 100%. If they don't then we as paying customers/fans have every right to complain.

I have this image in my head of you sitting in your car booing away down the M1.

Maybe this is the compromise - if you're going to boo, do it after the game at a place of your choosing?

How would those people who don't like fans boong the players like the fans to react after a bad performance with no effert from the players?

Should we stand up and applaud them off the pitch, tell them how great they are and say how we are looking forward to another spineless performance next week?

In regards to who we should keep / let go, I don't think anybody in our team can't be replaced.

Back