Likes Likes:  72
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Drink driving

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    And nor should he be treated any differently.

I would expect it to be rather more than that.

Let me be clear that a charge of drink driving three times over the limit deserves the correct punishment, regardless of who it is. My biggest issue surrounding this whole case is with his treatment in the press, on social media and so on. Any ordinary "Joe Bloggs" who was arrested for being three times over and crashing as Ant did would not have the same interest in the public eye and the case would have barely registered in local press - this is of course, totally different to Ant's where it's been splashed all over the press and social media since it happened and where press are camped outside the houses of all those involved.

At the root of all of this though, is still the problem surrounding addiction and reliance on medication, the fertility problems between himself and his wife and the resultant breakdown of his marriage. I'm sorry but I can't help but have sympathy for him.
    If you are in the public eye, you need to be whiter than white. You will be in the public eye for the good and the bad. In this case, it's the bad

Smiffy's Best Man

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but came here to say I find it incredibly strange and possibly egomaniacal, that a multi-millionaire would drive whilst intoxicated, instead of paying for a taxi, which of course would be an incredibly minimal fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by southchurch View Post
    Ron has worked his socks off over many years and had many a sleepless night in his heroic attempt to keep this club afloat

Quote Originally Posted by GBJ View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but came here to say I find it incredibly strange and possibly egomaniacal, that a multi-millionaire would drive whilst intoxicated, instead of paying for a taxi, which of course would be an incredibly minimal fee.
    Have to agree and to make matters worse you have your Mother as a passenger!

Quote Originally Posted by Special Blue View Post
    Have to agree and to make matters worse you have your Mother as a passenger!
    ....which makes her culpable for aiding and abetting?

"You can't drive, you've had too much"
    "I'll be fine"
    "Oh OK."
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

£86K fine and a 20 month ban.

Expect to see him back on telly in November/December when that jungle bollox is back on.

Coach

Fair outcome, now perhaps he can be left alone to sort himself out? Fat chance unfortunately.

He's fair game, he and his equally talentless side-kick never shy away from publicity when it suits them - it works both way. If he wants time to himself then he should quite simply stop his publicist / pr team speaking to the media.

Coach

I don't think that is fair, he could have chucked in any amount of excuses but chose to take it on his chin, and I hope the Public appreciate that. Having said that, the Trolls will probably do their best to make sure he suffers as much as possible. That seems the 'way to go' nowadays. Sad.

He could hardly do different could he having been caught bang to rights. Pretty certain his solictior would have instructed him well on the (limited) options open to him and whether chucking in excuses would be of any benefit....or not.

Coach

Don't want this to run on and on but surely his very public issues with drink and drugs and rehabilitation could have been hugely played upon, despite him being bang to rights as you rightly point out. His total acceptance and apparent contrition is laudable in my book. Depends on your take on life I suppose. I prefer to think positively of his stance rather than plain cynical.

Tony Adams crashed his car whilst DD and got the celebrity treatment....3 months prison.

Quote Originally Posted by irenbird View Post
    Don't want this to run on and on but surely his very public issues with drink and drugs and rehabilitation could have been hugely played upon, despite him being bang to rights as you rightly point out. His total acceptance and apparent contrition is laudable in my book. Depends on your take on life I suppose. I prefer to think positively of his stance rather than plain cynical.
    ...and who fed the media regarding his drink, drugs and rehab issues? Surely not his publicity team.....or did the media just take a wild guess...hmmm. Yep, admit I'm very cynical.

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

Fair play to him for holding his hands up so publicly. He knows he's done wrong and he knows he's let a lot of people down.

Hector Of The House Benfleet A1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought £86000 was a bit steep regardless of his wealth.
    Lord, in your mercy please give my friend a stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Benfleet A1 View Post
    I thought £86000 was a bit steep regardless of his wealth.
    I don’t, it should be relative to what you earn. I don’t agree with 20 months but then again I think he should be banned for life. If you’re caught that much over the limit you shouldn’t be allowed to be in control of a vehicle ever again. He has ‘mental health’ issues what’s to say he won’t do it again.