• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drink driving

But the effect of that enjoyment will lessen over time, leading to stronger drugs being sort.

I've seen it happen, with my first cousin...

Millions smoke it, very few turn to harder drugs. Of course you'll get someone who will graduate, but you can say the same with alcohol - but that's more pernicious as it's advertised, taxed, and acceptable and part of British culture.

Millions smoke it, very few turn to harder drugs. Of course you'll get someone who will graduate, but you can say the same with alcohol - but that's more pernicious as it's advertised, taxed, and acceptable and part of British culture.

Are you making assumptions about our university population? :winking:

But the effect of that enjoyment will lessen over time, leading to stronger drugs being sort.

I've seen it happen, with my first cousin...

The main reason people go on to harder drugs is because people have to buy cannabis from drug dealers, and drug dealers will try and convince you to try other stuff they have. The Netherlands doesn't seem to have much more of a hard drug problem than any other country, which suggests it isn't the cannabis itself that leads on to harder stuff.

leading to stronger drugs...

Which reminds me, I've got a pretty good deal going on a few quality 'items', so if anyone fancies some Spaz, P'tang, Icelandic Hognose, goobers, fanny, wobbly eggs, horse, chumnuts, schlumpty, gusset warblers, spoom, Gordon Bennets, Moxibencuropanifangenoxicum, pants, leopard snot, fleebles, weed, chas, whizz, hole, phaartyl or ****, then drop me a message.

Which reminds me, I've got a pretty good deal going on a few quality 'items', so if anyone fancies some Spaz, P'tang, Icelandic Hognose, goobers, fanny, wobbly eggs, horse, chumnuts, schlumpty, gusset warblers, spoom, Gordon Bennets, Moxibencuropanifangenoxicum, pants, leopard snot, fleebles, weed, chas, whizz, hole, phaartyl or ****, then drop me a message.

Got any cake?

Sounds like the entrants for the Grand national.

Of course, whilst you're explaining how an addiction to pain killers can start and escalate, you haven't explained how that progressed to alcohol.

I assume you're right, but the debate here is around OBL having sympathy for how this guy ended up driving whilst drunk, using his addiction to pain killers (and his mental health issues which we don't even know to be true) as an explanation. Driving after having taken pain killers wouldn't have been an issue. The escalation is something he should really have dealt with before it became an issue.

I'm not sure I have expressed sympathy for a bloke driving when drunk. What I have said repeatedly is maybe he didn't realise he was still over the limit - and that can be a genuine mistake. Although that might be someone just closing their mind to the possibility. I have also expressed sadness for the man himself, not the situation. I also thoroughly object to the trial by social media. Fortunately, no-one was hurt. Let's just all be thankful for that?

Also, you are applying logic and reason to the "escalation" - neither of which apply where an addict is concerned. Alcohol coupled with many types of drugs - prescription and recreational - gives a state of mind which the sufferer strives for as it gives escape. When you're in almost constant pain, that state is what you crave. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't believe that he would have deliberately put his own mother and his beloved dog at risk by knowingly driving while over the limit.

I'm not sure I have expressed sympathy for a bloke driving when drunk. What I have said repeatedly is maybe he didn't realise he was still over the limit - and that can be a genuine mistake or someone just closing their mind to the possibility. I have also expressed sadness for the man himself, not the situation. I also thoroughly object to the trial by social media. Fortunately, no-one was hurt. Let's just all be thankful for that?

Also, you are applying logic and reason to the "escalation" - neither of which apply where an addict is concerned. Alcohol coupled with many types of drugs - prescription and recreational - gives a state of mind which the sufferer strives for as it gives escape. When you're in almost constant pain, that state is what you crave. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't believe that he would have deliberately put his own mother and his beloved dog at risk by knowingly driving while over the limit.

This isn’t a case of oh I only had two beers I thought I was under. He was 3 times over the limit and that’s a lot of alcohol. If he didn’t know he was over the limit then he really his a ****ing ****!

As for no one being hurt a young girl was taken to hospital, she may not have had any physical injuries but the mental impact will be huge. She will be scared now every time she gets into a vehicle because of this idiots poor decisions! And that not thinking about the others involved in the accident, my wife was in a crash a couple of years back and she hasn’t been the same since in a car. Some accidents can be enough to mentally scare people to not getting back into a vehicle.

Stop defending him, he is in the wrong and should be punished mental illness or not!

Stop defending him, he is in the wrong and should be punished mental illness or not!

Things are not always so black and white. Unfortunately, I do always try to seek reasons to explain behaviour, it's part of my training. He will know he was wrong now but at the time, he didn't doubt himself.

Not at all. People take cannabis for enjoyment, not as an escape. Not really something you can argue with alcohol.

Apart from the numerous cases of those taking the ‘harmless’ cannabis and ending up with schizophrenic or similar disorders. This never seems to make the media. Google it! I’m not saying ban it. For the vast majority of casual users the benefits are clear enough to me, just putting some balance in.

Things are not always so black and white. Unfortunately, I do always try to seek reasons to explain behaviour, it's part of my training. He will know he was wrong now but at the time, he didn't doubt himself.

He got into a vehicle and crashed it 3 times over the drink drive limit. In the eyes of the law it’s an absolute offence it’s as black and white as it can be.

He got into a vehicle and crashed it 3 times over the drink drive limit. In the eyes of the law it’s an absolute offence it’s as black and white as it can be.

Not so. The judge will weigh up everything if and when he's convicted in a court of law as with any case.

Not so. The judge will weigh up everything if and when he's convicted in a court of law as with any case.

The evidence gathered by the police through roadside and then subsequent intoximeter, blood or urine is absolute mate. Dead to rights no getting your way out of that one.

He'll no doubt be convicted of course, but his sentence will reflect any underlying addiction or abuse that'll no doubt be put forward by a top criminal laywer. He won't go down, but as I've previously said, will get a ban and a fine.

One of my previous managers wrote of a NR van and was many times over the limit, but due to the fact he was going through a messy divorce he didn't go down, nor did he lose his job despite working in maintenance and needing to be in many remote places in the country the are only accessible by road.

There really is some guff on here about sentencing in this case. Rest assured he will be clobbered like anyone else who is way over the limit if that transpires to be fact. No clever legal representative can alter hard results evidence.

Back