• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drink driving

On the basis that no one was injured zero ****s were given. Plenty would have been given otherwise. This was neither rural Australia nor America and I don't buy the argument that people don't know that alcohol takes time to exit the body after a skinful. Morally Britain has moved on from the old days of a few beers and a short drive home with the blessing of Mr Plod telling to to be slow and careful. Nor do I have any sympathy with a mental health angle. If he was serious he would be out of the public eye doing something about it. Money and fame > self esteem. Maybe ITV make it easy for him to rebuild his life (a 'career break')

"I cannot say he was right to get behind the wheel if he was over the limit, but who is to say he knew he was over the limit? "

As a rule, two drinks would be close to the limit if not over. He blew nearly three times over - therefore by implication he had at least five. Anyone with a brain can count past two. His passenger could also have stopped him, I assume.

BBC iplayer, The Prosecutors: Real Crime and Punishment. It features a case where a driver kills a child in a head on. He wasn't drunk but it covers the difference between carless and dangerous driving.

Guy is an absolute melt and should be punished, ITV should be suspending him and he should be on live TV admitting his mistake and saying sorry but instead he runs of and hides in rehab.

"I cannot say he was right to get behind the wheel if he was over the limit, but who is to say he knew he was over the limit? "

As a rule, two drinks would be close to the limit if not over. He blew nearly three times over - therefore by implication he had at least five. Anyone with a brain can count past two. His passenger could also have stopped him, I assume.

Ah, but can he count past two? Neither him or his double act strike me as having much intelligence....

In the US they have quite a cavalier attitude to drink driving.

My colleague drank six bottles of 5% beer at a meal after work and drove home.

One person doesn't necessarily reflect a country. I know someone in the UK that does the same. Does that mean the UK also has a cavalier attitude?

(Incidentally the person I know is female. Her husband has tried to persuade her to join Alcoholics Anonymous.)

Exactly my point, I would suggest that the majority of people have no idea how long it takes the body levels to get back to normal after a Friday or Saturday night binge.

It takes the body about 4 hours to process one pint of beer. That's been out there for years so stop making excuses for the talentless twonk, he drove ****ed, had a collision and got nicked, tough titties.

Ain't he a lucky lad that he never killed anyone and has scuttled back to rehab. Bless his cotton socks.

I'm sure you will be showing the same compassion to say your next door neighbour if he stoves through your front window after a skinful.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC iplayer, The Prosecutors: Real Crime and Punishment. It features a case where a driver kills a child in a head on. He wasn't drunk but it covers the difference between carless and dangerous driving.

It being that much more dangerous with a car.

It takes the body about 4 hours to process one pint of beer. That's been out there for years so stop making excuses for the talentless twonk, he drove ****ed, had a collision and got nicked, tough titties.

Ain't he a lucky lad that he never killed anyone and has scuttled back to rehab. Bless his cotton socks.

I'm sure you will be showing the same compassion to say your next door neighbour if he stoves through your front window after a skinful.

Thing is here he's failed a roadside breath test, plenty of people do that but then don't fail the blood test. Everyone is jumping on him for an assumed drink/driving incident when it could, from what I've now read, simply be an accident. The guy has clear mental health problems.

Thing is here he's failed a roadside breath test, plenty of people do that but then don't fail the blood test. Everyone is jumping on him for an assumed drink/driving incident when it could, from what I've now read, simply be an accident. The guy has clear mental health problems.

They don’t take blood unless they fail to provide at the intoximeter which is a big machine they will provide a sample back at the station. Its not often they take blood because they have to get a doctor or medic out to get the blood sample. Urine samples are taken where they can send them away to get an accurate back calculation. If he was 3 times over at the roadside it’s pretty unlikely when he get on the intoximeter he will blow under.

Are you sure that's accurate? When I did my flying exams we were told it takes an hour per unit of alcohol, but that you should also add on an hour because your body doesn't lose any alcohol in the first hour.

So the first pint (which is about 2 units) would take about 3 hours. But each subsequent pint would only add on about 2 hours, not 4.

If you're right then I need to reassess.

The press will make up any figure so I would ignore that. I failed a roadside breath test but it doesn't give a reading, so its not legal but I passed the intoximeter test which does.

Why has he, I’ve yet to read any confirmed assessment of him having such mental problems, besides if that were the case why did he return / why was he allowed to return to doing tv after his last visit to rehab? Surely he should have kept well clear and better still retired, not as though he couldn’t afford to call it a day.

I cannot say he was right to get behind the wheel if he was over the limit, but who is to say he knew he was over the limit? The man is still suffering from addiction to pain killers, he has a genuine injury/condition which still requires pain management. Just perhaps he had had a few the night before and didn't realise he was over the limit, or perhaps he had had one or two which, when mixed with his medication, impaired his judgement. Whatever, you would imagine that his mother would have realised he shouldn't be driving.

He's one of "my boys" and yes, I get protective. He's had a really awful year - Ricey, I think his "karma" as you put it, probably reached him first. You have to wonder at the ability to continue to keep such a happy and upbeat persona in front of the cameras. There's no doubting that the mental health issues are still there, and just maybe, trying to continue the normal routine of IACGMOOH followed so quickly by Takeaway was just too much too soon. Maybe the idea was to keep him busy, whatever it was, it hasn't worked and the fact he's headed back to rehab seems to confirm that there is still a major problem.

I am thankful the incident wasn't worse and that the others involved were, apparently, only hospitalised on precautionary terms. I wish Ant all the very best and the support of those who love him and the trailer trash newspapers to leave him be. I do however, think the laws in this country surrounding drinking and driving need changing though so there can be no confusion - zero tolerance, do not drink and drive, simple.

The fact that he even had a drink and drove is a no no. Please stop making excuses for him

Last edited:
Same people saying they hope Ant gets the help he needs would be the be the same people wanting Jamie Carragher sacked. If you get behind the wheel of a car drunk then you are an absolute vile ****

Was all fun and games taking the **** out of himself on I'm a Celeb last year because it was just his issue but now he's injured a child it's not so funny is it. If he'd killed that child like Luke McCormick did he wouldn't be getting the same support for his mental health issues

I expect rather more people who fail the roadside breath test then fail the blood test.

Same people saying they hope Ant gets the help he needs would be the be the same people wanting Jamie Carragher sacked. If you get behind the wheel of a car drunk then you are an absolute vile ****

Was all fun and games taking the **** out of himself on I'm a Celeb last year because it was just his issue but now he's injured a child it's not so funny is it. If he'd killed that child like Luke McCormick did he wouldn't be getting the same support for his mental health issues

That's a big assumption.

Last edited:
This thread is just a stick to beat the guy with if you don't like him or his TV shows.

Back