• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drink driving

There but for the grace of God many of us go, that is very true, but times have changed and now such activities are less than acceptable behaviour. We are not in the 1970s any more (shame) It's sad what has happened to the guy, I am sure he will take his punishment like a man and hopefully come through all this. He needs lots of time and support like anyone else would at a time like this. Crucifixion either on here or in the gutter press will not assist IMHO. End of rant.

A person who doesn’t want to admit he has issues will never tackle those issues. It’s not about crucifixion, it’s about someone in the very public domain getting paid a large some of money (ITV so not public money) and effectively sticking two fingers up to the world. That’s not good enough. Barrymore thought he was clever, only the system that granted him compensation is more stupid. Plenty of celebs have been down this path and plenty have emerged with credit

You wouldn't be saying that had he drove into your car and injured your daughter

I don't condone what he's done but he's (apparently) an addict and made an absolutely stupid mistake granted, but it's like he's public enemy No.1. He'll be punished like anyone else in the same position - a ban and a fine that won't affect him in the slightest. He'll be back on telly before the end of the year.

I don't condone what he's done but he's (apparently) an addict and made an absolutely stupid mistake granted, but it's like he's public enemy No.1. He'll be punished like anyone else in the same position - a ban and a fine that won't affect him in the slightest. He'll be back on telly before the end of the year.

...and this is where the punishment is wrong. A ban won't bother him but had he been a taxi driver (for instance) it'd end his career.

I find debates like this quite interesting because all it proves is that the "do-gooders" have won the argument about drink driving. When the laws were originally brought in people were up in arms about how it was a limit on their freedom to have a few and then drive home. (I remember seeing a black and white interview with a guy in a pub. He was complaining that he can no-longer have his 3 or 4 pints and his whiskey chaser and then drive home.)

Clearly that argument has been won hands down. As has the seatbelt and helmet arguments of the past. Maybe one day people will see that do-gooders actually do good.

I find debates like this quite interesting because all it proves is that the "do-gooders" have won the argument about drink driving. When the laws were originally brought in people were up in arms about how it was a limit on their freedom to have a few and then drive home. (I remember seeing a black and white interview with a guy in a pub. He was complaining that he can no-longer have his 3 or 4 pints and his whiskey chaser and then drive home.)

Clearly that argument has been won hands down. As has the seatbelt and helmet arguments of the past. Maybe one day people will see that do-gooders actually do good.

Prohibition in the 1920's US didn't work out to well for the do-gooders.

...and this is where the punishment is wrong. A ban won't bother him but had he been a taxi driver (for instance) it'd end his career.

What punishment do you want then? Removal of a limb? Death by stoning? Bowel removal?

No doubt about it now, the police have charged him with drink driving.

Why has he, I’ve yet to read any confirmed assessment of him having such mental problems, besides if that were the case why did he return / why was he allowed to return to doing tv after his last visit to rehab? Surely he should have kept well clear and better still retired, not as though he couldn’t afford to call it a day.

He has had an addiction to pain killers from an injury to his knee that wasn't healing. As with any addiction, you gradually take more to get by, day by day, until you just cannot function without them. Any addiction is a mental health problem of some kind. The fact this has been partnered with the end of his marriage after years of trying, unsuccessfully, to have children, has all blown up into some kind of self combusting nightmare.

Him and Dec have their own production company and the fact is they enjoy the buzz of performing to live audiences - always have. Yes, they could retire or go and hide behind the company name but it wouldn't fulfil their love of performance.

If, as Ricey says, he's been charged formally now then they will really have to re-evaluate where they go from here.

He has had an addiction to pain killers from an injury to his knee that wasn't healing. As with any addiction, you gradually take more to get by, day by day, until you just cannot function without them. Any addiction is a mental health problem of some kind. The fact this has been partnered with the end of his marriage after years of trying, unsuccessfully, to have children, has all blown up into some kind of self combusting nightmare.

Him and Dec have their own production company and the fact is they enjoy the buzz of performing to live audiences - always have. Yes, they could retire or go and hide behind the company name but it wouldn't fulfil their love of performance.

If, as Ricey says, he's been charged formally now then they will really have to re-evaluate where they go from here.

No if about it!

https://news.sky.com/story/tv-presenter-ant-mcpartlin-charged-with-drink-driving-11299195

Sorry, but have to disagree to an extent with some of your opening para. But, as you are obviously a big fan, will not prolong this into a possible tit-for-tat scenario but leave it there. You have yourself a good evening, young lady.

I have a nicotine addiction. I must remember if I ever inadvertently set fire to something to plead mental health issues in mitigation.

I’m sorry OBL (and others). Quite often and quite rightly you are defending those with mental health issues. Whether that’s any contributing factor here or not you cannot surely defend the actions of anyone, in this day and age, getting caught DD? Save your arguments for the genuinely worthy, not for those whose wealth would probably provide care for those that need it and have enough to provide for a very comfortable rest of life.

Of course, whilst you're explaining how an addiction to pain killers can start and escalate, you haven't explained how that progressed to alcohol.

Of course, whilst you're explaining how an addiction to pain killers can start and escalate, you haven't explained how that progressed to alcohol.

I imagine that with any drug, the effects seem to lessen over time and an addict would look for something harder to numb themselves.

I imagine that with any drug, the effects seem to lessen over time and an addict would look for something harder to numb themselves.

I assume you're right, but the debate here is around OBL having sympathy for how this guy ended up driving whilst drunk, using his addiction to pain killers (and his mental health issues which we don't even know to be true) as an explanation. Driving after having taken pain killers wouldn't have been an issue. The escalation is something he should really have dealt with before it became an issue.

On a separate note, have you not just undermined your argument for legalising cannabis? :winking:

I assume you're right, but the debate here is around OBL having sympathy for how this guy ended up driving whilst drunk, using his addiction to pain killers (and his mental health issues which we don't even know to be true) as an explanation. Driving after having taken pain killers wouldn't have been an issue. The escalation is something he should really have dealt with before it became an issue.

On a separate note, have you not just undermined your argument for legalising cannabis? :winking:

Not at all. People take cannabis for enjoyment, not as an escape. Not really something you can argue with alcohol.

Not at all. People take cannabis for enjoyment, not as an escape. Not really something you can argue with alcohol.

But the effect of that enjoyment will lessen over time, leading to stronger drugs being sort.

I've seen it happen, with my first cousin...

Back