• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wordsworth striving for new Blues deal

Evening Echo

The News
ANTHONY Wordsworth is keen to keep on impressing for Southend United as he bids to win a new deal with the Shrimpers.

More...

If he stayed fit for more than 30 seconds we would have a great player. But I would give him to the end of the season to prove his fitness, any problems then bin him.

Let him go !! Has not been good enough this season and i would say he was one of the players who got brown the sack! He wanted more money in a new deal and when he didnt get that money he stopt playing for brown! Get rid lazy and overated!!

Pay as you play only, not done anything to warrant a new contract this year, so probably in line for a 4 year deal ! ( Ok a slight exaggeration there )

Your living in LaLa Land.

As if he is going to sign a "pay as you play" deal next season.

Were not the best payers in League One, but he will get a decent contract with a smaller league one club, or an upper or mid table Division " club next season.

Let him go !! Has not been good enough this season and i would say he was one of the players who got brown the sack! He wanted more money in a new deal and when he didnt get that money he stopt playing for brown! Get rid lazy and overated!!

What a load of bull! He was playing under Brown with a hamstring tear, which he did more damage to by continuing to try and play. Couple that with the loss of his brother and I think you'll find that there was no option but to allow him some time and space for the injury to heal!

He is our most creative player and best dead ball deliverer, and alongside Lenny last season, was a vital member of the midfield duo which served the team. The changes in midfield mean he needs to develop a partnership with Dru going forward, which hasn't really had time to develop as yet.

Iwould rather have a player with less ability than Wordsworth, but is available for most off the season. AW a very decent player on his day, but his day doesnt come often enough. CP has to decide if we can afford to have a player at the club who is not able to play for two thirds of the season.

I think it all depends on the manager. Is he a manager that doesn't mind taking the risk giving a bigish wage to a player who might not always play but has undoubted ability. Or does he want a player who has a track record of playing a lot of games per season. That player may have slightly lower ability but that player will contribute to a settled, consistent team.

Brown obviously didn't mind taking this risk, nothing wrong with that as it can pay off. Will Chrissy have the same mentality?

Agree 100% with StevenCowling1, let him go, he thinks he is better that he is, problem is CP rates him, I’m a season ticket holder of many years, and not bothered if him and CP go, hurry up England (Chris was a good player for us, but..)

I'm interested to see how he plays on the left. Too often I've seen Kightly burst towards the endline and be hesitant to put in a ball on his left foot. I'd like to see him on the right more and try putting an early ball. Cutbacks can be useful but most of the time they are behind the run of play.

I also see Wordsworth in a similar light as Payne, an attacking player that if there's a counter it'll leave the other centre midfielder exposed.

Last season he was one of our best players, but has been poor this season, mostly through being asked to play injured and other personal stuff. He was my MOM against Blackpool and we always look a much more potent threat going forward with him in the team. He also appears to be a good part of the dressing room when things are going well. Most of the goal celebrations seem to revolve around him and he seems an intergral part of the team dynamic.

A one year deal with an option of a second year would be my thoughts, that way if he has another injury plagued season we can then let him go after that. In my opinion he is worth taking that risk for.

Agree 100% with StevenCowling1, let him go, he thinks he is better that he is, problem is CP rates him, I’m a season ticket holder of many years, and not bothered if him and CP go, hurry up England (Chris was a good player for us, but..)

What has being a season ticket holder got to do with your opinion of Wordsworth or Chris Powell?

I think I saw a post on here that said people are entitled to an opinion. And it should be respected by others, unless it’s malicious.

No problem with that at all, and I agree on the opinions bit. I didn't, and don't, understand the relevance of being a season ticket holder to that opinion. If you find that disrespectful I apologise.

I seem to recall a previous interview in the Echo, wherein he stated that 'he loved the club and fans' and 'wants to stay but no contract talks forthcoming from the club', basically the usual player/agent tactics to get a better deal.

Sometimes he's excellent on the pitch, other times he's anonymous, no doubt he's in the higher wage bracket, and so IMHO we should let him go.

Back