• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Powell shocked by England rumours

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell says he was shocked to be linked with a coaching role in the England set-up.

More...

I’m sure some are gonna strongly disagree with this but for me if Chris Powell got a high level job in the England coaching setup now it would surely be an example of racism the other way round?!

I’d love it if it happened coz we could all hope that it might open a few doors in terms of attracting decent young players on loan in the future.

But are CP’s current managerial and coaching achievements really worthy of England yet? He’s not been overly successful in the Championship and never managed in the Premier League. He’s won League One but so has Steve Tilson and he can’t get any job in the Football League at all.

I’m all for equality with ethnic minorities but surely all these minority groups want is equality not fast-tracking to the top jobs? I think the Rooney Rule is a good idea so that people from all different backgrounds are considered for managerial jobs but tbh they should be anyway in 2018.

If Powell gets a job with England then so too should someone like Kenny Jackett. And I can’t stand Kenny Jackett.

So what credentials did Gareth Southgate have before he was given a coaching job within the England setup.

He managed Middlesbrough in the premiership (once beat Man City 8-1!!... seems impossible now!!). & he managed the England U21's when they qualified for the Euro's. So i'm guessing from a FA perspective, it sounded like a natural progression.

Maybe Mark Sampson would have got a place somewhere in the set up if he wasn't such a ****.

Personally, Southgate wasn't my choice, but only time will tell I guess.

He managed Middlesbrough in the premiership (once beat Man City 8-1!!... seems impossible now!!). & he managed the England U21's when they qualified for the Euro's. So i'm guessing from a FA perspective, it sounded like a natural progression.

Maybe Mark Sampson would have got a place somewhere in the set up if he wasn't such a ****.

Personally, Southgate wasn't my choice, but only time will tell I guess.
Not something that you could ever have imagined,but I’ve heard he’s fantastically good at off-the-cuff one-liners .

Back