• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was watching the same game as you. Having read the programme article on Wordsworth, I was expecting a decent performance from someone who apparently desperately wants a new contract. Apart from the opening 20 minutes, his contribution thereafter was little or nothing of note. Mantom looked far more composed, although fitness told after an hour or so, but he looks useful all the same.

Slightly puzzled as to what his pre-match interviews had to do with it, I don't think he probably chose to have a poor game. I actually didn't think he was bad at all in the first half, linked well with Coker, but playing out wide doesn't really suit him and he did fade after the break when he was forced deep - too many panicky clearances to nobody.

Just to clear a few things up about Kevin, he was allowed 1 beer on Saturday. Unfortunately he couldn't sit in the bar because the match feed was not working. He was spoken to at half time and asked to keep it down as he was annoying people sitting around him and also accidentally spitting on the people in front as he was shouting. He was not swearing but the difficult decision was taken to remove him. I personally did not want him removed but felt he was warned on a number of occasions and took no notice, so unfortunately he was asked to leave. Some people said he doesn't bother them but they are probably not sitting next to him. I have a lot of sympathy for him and always try to engage him in conversation.

Just to clear a few things up about Kevin, he was allowed 1 beer on Saturday. Unfortunately he couldn't sit in the bar because the match feed was not working. He was spoken to at half time and asked to keep it down as he was annoying people sitting around him and also accidentally spitting on the people in front as he was shouting. He was not swearing but the difficult decision was taken to remove him. I personally did not want him removed but felt he was warned on a number of occasions and took no notice, so unfortunately he was asked to leave. Some people said he doesn't bother them but they are probably not sitting next to him. I have a lot of sympathy for him and always try to engage him in conversation.

I agree with everything you’ve said.
What I would say though is that the club / bar staff clearly know about him , so it really has to be ‘zero’ alcohol.
i don’t expect them to have ‘in depth’ knowledge of his condition , but any alcohol on top of what I assume is some pretty heavy medication is not wise.
The club are not responsible for any alcohol etc he consumes before / after a game , but they can at least do their bit to help inside the ground.

I'm pretty sure Kev was politely asked not to attend Dagenham home games a while back. You can try and engage Kev in conversation, but to be honest it's hard work, I'm not sure he even listens to what you are saying and after about 2 minutes he has mentioned about 10 random 'facts' from the last 30 years or so.

It's private property so the club could simply refuse admission, I assume.

I'm pretty sure Kev was politely asked not to attend Dagenham home games a while back. You can try and engage Kev in conversation, but to be honest it's hard work, I'm not sure he even listens to what you are saying and after about 2 minutes he has mentioned about 10 random 'facts' from the last 30 years or so.

Yes you're right. He's been banned from a lot of Essex grounds. He goes to a lot of games. He even got punched at Canvey whilst watching them. I've found it's best to agree with him even when he's clearly wrong and change the subject, otherwise he can go on and on and start a heated argument as his brain is telling him that he's right. Best example I can give is that he keeps pulling out a photo of Spencer Prior, and he will shout, ''THAT'S NOT EVEN SPENCER PRIOR'', and ask you what's all that about, even tho it clearly is Spencer Prior.

Over the decades I have supported Southend I have come across many foul mouthed, inconsiderate and obnoxious supporters that do their level best to ruin the experience for those around them. I have never seen them ejected for their behaviour. Perhaps, having mental health issues, makes DK less desirable than the louts that have no excuse? I know it is a shame when people have to endure unpleasant behaviour but hopefully tolerance and understanding will abound. For those that deem it acceptable to lump him one, it is those individuals that should be ejected, and the club/stewards should be aware. If a risk assessment is carried out, and it is felt that he is a threat to others or others pose a threat to him, then maybe he should asked not to attend. Personally I think it is a pity and clearly attending football is a major factor in his life.

Probably no point whatsoever, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Getting castigated by you Mick and being the owner of a fallacious statement kind of makes it worthwhile though.:smiles:

Ha! Which reminds me, as an undergraduate, I used to slip the occasional rogue word into my essays,whenever I suspected certain lecturers of not reading them fully.Needless to say,this didn't exactly endear me to some of them,especially when they didn't spot the rogue word.:winking:

Bringing it back to the match, the Racing Post writer Mark Langdon attended our game at the weekend (he lives locally so watches us quite a bit) and penned the report below. More focused on Rotherham, but still well worth a read.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/team-in-focus/rotherham-struggle-at-southend/324802

Good report. It's refreshing to read one in the media from someone who actually seems like they were at the game. So many seem to be cobbled together from just post-match quotes and watching the goals on TV.

Didn't make the game as I was at a friend's daughter's first birthday party but what a fantastic result; a very pleasant surprise as I discreetly followed the game during the celebrations.

Regarding Dagenham Kev, I've only come across him twice but it was enough to question why he hasn't got some sort of helper with him when he is in a public place. Having worked in a mental hospital, I've seen similar vulnerabilities and although he doesn't mean any harm, he leaves himself open to abuse, whether verbal or physical. He needs some sort of protection for his own safety.

I take it you mean the Far Post. If he’d been in the Last Post (Wetherspoons) we wouldn’t have heard him. Lol. Anyone with mental issues I feel sorry for.

To be fair, you might still have heard him...

Back