• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend street crime.

That's a general assumption and maybe I have had a sheltered life, my guess is not all kids what to aspire to be drug runners or gun movers.

I never said all kids wanted to do that? I thought we were primarily discussing the bad kids, the kids who are committing the aforementioned crimes, and causing the havoc?

Of course, not all kids want to be, or are, bad. Most are normal, everyday people. But this entire discussion isn't about those type of individuals.

Give them an opportunity to get off the streets and go somewhere warm and they don't feel threatened and I would lay good money they would flock there, not all because in society there will always be someone not wanting to do an honest living to earn money.

Again, as it stands there are plenty of things for these troubled kids to do, yet they choose not to. It's not that they're lacking in opportunities, it's that they're lacking in what I'd call normal social etiquette. And that is borne out of many different factors; social standing, financial deprivation, poor parenting & guidance.

In London there are centres open where kids can learn to cook and eat (Sometimes only decent meal they get all day) relax and talk, meet people who have gone from Gangland London to change their lives and this is the thing adults donot do"Listen" to their concerns

Whilst they might work for the very few, they've clearly not been as marvellous as people had hoped, which is proven with the recent, spiralling, spate of violent crimes sweeping London.

[/We adults seem to forget the kids have a voice and should be listened and maybe we can learn a thing or two rather than sit back and moan about the scummers on the street, there are more good kids than bad, its just a shame the focus is on the bad boys

UTS

Again, nobody is suggesting that all kids are bad/criminals.

Whats interesting though, is if you actually listened to the "bad" kids of the estates, in the troubled areas, and heard what their real concerns were, you might be surprised to learn that a new youth club, would be bottom of their agenda

Mainly on their backs, some choose sideways and the odd one or two prefer on their front - but I have not done a full statistical analysis. I will apply for a research degree grant from the University of Essex and report back in six years time from my high PhD perch. I am sure the wait will be worth it.

The question was where not how do people sleep rough in HCR.Don't fancy your chances of getting funding either. :winking:

Ha! Thanks but have already got a hotel booked.Just a tad concerned, as I'll be around that way for our last home game.Also our Mum used to own a shop at the top of HCR -Gifto's now an Oxfam shop.

Had a great curry after the Gills game in HCR, Saffron Lounge is recommended if you are looking for a decent ruby!

Walked up HCR around half 9 towards London Rd, didn’t see anything threatening although there were a few homeless types around they were just shuffling about with their heads down. Sadly a lot of rough sleepers end up on the street due to mental illness.

The ones that that concern me more are the dealer types, who you’d find trouble with down towards York Rd end.

Southend as a town has been on the downward spiral for over 20 years; it will only get worse sadly.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16170834.Road_to_be____Bond_Street_of_Southend____once_more/

Hamlet Court Road compared to Bond Street.News to me -though our mother was always a big fan.

Most old timers have heard that. Westcliff was the retirement area for many wealthy families from London including a very large Jewish community. Hence the nickname Vestcliff back in the day.

Her Ladyships father was from a well to do family, they have a street name after them. He told me they all had accounts. at the shops in Hamlet Court road. He caused a scandal back in the 40's by secretly meeting with the daughter of one of the first Indian business family to come to Southend. Both their fathers met and decided it would bring shame on each of their families so she was shipped back to India. He was later posted to India for the RAF (office) as she had taught him some Gujarati.

^^ Excellent news, Hamlet Court Road really did used to be where people aspired to shop and it's gone so downhill over the years that it's totally unrecognisable. Might even encourage a bank or two back!

Most old timers have heard that. Westcliff was the retirement area for many wealthy families from London including a very large Jewish community. Hence the nickname Vestcliff back in the day.

I was certainly aware of this but hadn't heard of the Bond street comparison before.And I'd guess I'd qualify as an old timer these days.:cricko:

Her Ladyships father was from a well to do family, they have a street name after them. He told me they all had accounts. at the shops in Hamlet Court road. He caused a scandal back in the 40's by secretly meeting with the daughter of one of the first Indian business family to come to Southend. Both their fathers met and decided it would bring shame on each of their families so she was shipped back to India. He was later posted to India for the RAF (office) as she had taught him some Gujarati.

Our late mother certainly used to dote on Haven's.I still have a wonderful bone china polar bear,which takes pride of place in our lounge, (along with some other Southend memorabilia),bought from there as a present for her back in the 60's.

Great to hear that HCR might well be on the up again.

Our late mother certainly used to dote on Haven's.I still have a wonderful bone china polar bear,which takes pride of place in our lounge, (along with some other Southend memorabilia),bought from there as a present for her back in the 60's.

Great to hear that HCR might well be on the up again.

Some friends of mine were meeting in the Hamlet last Friday as they were going on to the Cliffs. As one of them walked down HCR at around 19:00 hrs some wrong'un peddled by and snatched a woman's hand bag, much to her distress. He was no youngster, in his 40's.

It may be some time before it is back to Bond street levels.

Some friends of mine were meeting in the Hamlet last Friday as they were going on to the Cliffs. As one of them walked down HCR at around 19:00 hrs some wrong'un peddled by and snatched a woman's hand bag, much to her distress. He was no youngster, in his 40's.

It may be some time before it is back to Bond street levels.

That's bad news.(As I believe I've said), my wife and I (plus some friends), will be that way for our last home game against Brizzle and taking pretty much the same route. the same route.(Still I nearly got mugged here in Barna late last night, after coming back to SC late after Espanyol's game).

Further to what I said on the hacking off thread, this was posted yesterday on FB - again, not a youngster.....
Thief.jpg

Back