• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Gillingham

OK, was at the Plymouth game - but not yesterday's. So, someone at both, please tell me, apart from difference in opposition, how does pretty much the same side lose 4-0 and then win 4-0 two days later?

I will try. We obviously have one or more homers in the team who play very good at Roots Hall, but are pants away from home. Our best results this season seem to be when playing with two wingers rather than one winger and a midfielder playing wide. We play too deep away from home allowing wave after wave of attacks which with the percentage of incoming shots can lead to heavy defeats. Playing too deep and relying on attacking on the break is only good if you have speedy forwards. It's not going to work for the likes of Cox and Fortune.

OK, was at the Plymouth game - but not yesterday's. So, someone at both, please tell me, apart from difference in opposition, how does pretty much the same side lose 4-0 and then win 4-0 two days later?

Timlin, Kightly and Theo.....:winking:

I will try. We obviously have one or more homers in the team who play very good at Roots Hall, but are pants away from home. Our best results this season seem to be when playing with two wingers rather than one winger and a midfielder playing wide. We play too deep away from home allowing wave after wave of attacks which with the percentage of incoming shots can lead to heavy defeats. Playing too deep and relying on attacking on the break is only good if you have speedy forwards. It's not going to work for the likes of Cox and Fortune.

Nice one! I've called my 'mate' and he's making a space on the bench for you at Blackburn, lol!

Great performance and an instant reaction to good Friday which is a big positive.

Is McGlashan injured? Seems odd that we'd have 3 CMs on the bench, you're not likely to use Mantom, Wright and Wordsworth. I've always liked McGlash off the bench too with his pace against tired legs

Great performance and an instant reaction to good Friday which is a big positive.

Is McGlashan injured? Seems odd that we'd have 3 CMs on the bench, you're not likely to use Mantom, Wright and Wordsworth. I've always liked McGlash off the bench too with his pace against tired legs
Questioned this ourselves, a very useful sub to run at tired defences. Can't help but think he'd have been fired up against Gillingham too and likely made more of an impact than any of the subs we did use. Strange how he seems to have effectively disappeared.

Questioned this ourselves, a very useful sub to run at tired defences. Can't help but think he'd have been fired up against Gillingham too and likely made more of an impact than any of the subs we did use. Strange how he seems to have effectively disappeared.

I didn't think he was injured, hadn't heard anything. Guess he just isn't in Powell's plans? No real shock if he is replaced in the summer but I would have thought with the lack of pace in the squad he might be utilized in the meantime

I looked at the clock, it said 24 minutes and thought they are never going to come back from that, I can't remember the last time I thought the game was over so early. My opinion is that Powell is playing League 1 football with League 1 players whereas Brown was trying to play Premiership football with League 1 players.

I actually came away slightly disappointed it was only 4-0 at the final whistle...at half time I was sure it would finish 5 or 6 given they had 10 men and we had absolutely destroyed them in the first half. Oh well, can't complain too much :smile:

When was the last time we scored 5 at home? QPR over 10 years ago?

I actually came away slightly disappointed it was only 4-0 at the final whistle...at half time I was sure it would finish 5 or 6 given they had 10 men and we had absolutely destroyed them in the first half. Oh well, can't complain too much :smile:

When was the last time we scored 5 at home? QPR over 10 years ago?
I also did this as well after 18 minutes...

No goals in the second half against 10 men? Have to question the motivational skills of the manager? Has he lost the dressing room? If we don't win every game by at least three goals from until mid November a replacement will be needed. Plan for it now Ron

Lovely afternoon to be sitting 2 seats behind Paul Sally. Back in August when we played them in the Checkatrade, the small programme they produced had a front cover reminding us that it was 30 years since they won 8-1 and souvenir edition or some such nonsense.......If the shop had stocked away programmes I would have nipped out and bought one at half time and then got Mr scally to sign it for me. Still I settle for watching his head slump after the 4th.....Or the disallowed goals, the red card and a few of the yellows.

Another nice moment was CP yelling at McL to move position for the corner. The ball landed on the unmarked McL's head and in it flew in for number 4. CP turned to the East and covered his face in joyous embarrassment, as we all knew it was just going to be our day.

Don't agree with the usual they were rubbish brigade. Two excellent headers from corners, a lovely disguised ball from Cox, followed by a cool and good technique finish by Theo from the rebound. Or what about McL's run and shot as he cut in and Kightly following up....I didn't see bad defending just good finishing. We had more chances in the away league fixture in the first half than we did yesterday. So lets not knock our lads when they do get it right.

Nor do I think we eased off in the second half. Had Cox scored from his own half that would have made our day. Yes I would have loved to see 5/6 or dare I say 8 but unfortunately normal 2017/18 finishing was resumed for the second 45.

Good on CP for his changes Kightly on the left for Wordsworth was obvious and like I say Dru plays better with Timlin as his responsible adult to accompany him.

I liked the look of Robinson in the first 20/30. He caused problems by playing off the last shoulder and as they backed off it allowed Cox more space to do what he does best and exploit the hole made for a number 10. Even the header that nearly ended up as OG of the season was because the player was under pressure.

Fortune rarely has much punch early doors and is to similar to Cox, so in effect doesn't compliment Cox. So I would rather see a back four turned and chasing what some of you might call 'hoof ball'. Of course no one was saying that when McL chased that long ball, cut in and smashed it against the bar........We all had one of those lovely rare moments you get in Football. As Kightly floated up to head in the rebound....You knew he couldn't miss and you knew they were finished at 3-0....Time just seemed to stand still for me before it hit the net.

Another mention for Turner. Not only did he get the all important first goal, whilst we were causing their CB's problems in the first 30 Turner was showing us his range of skills by keeping Tom Eaves quiet. In the passage of play before our 3rd goal he robbed Eaves twice with some quality defending.

Of coarse with 2 disallowed for off-side and a red and about 6 yellows they might well be unhappy with the ref. You could say the red was harsh but certainly not as harsh as when Inniss was sent off at Priestfield. lets also remember that Theo was kicked in the face when they equalised early this season and then they were wrongly given a free kick which lead to their 2nd. You could say it equals out but we were 4-0 up so won't be the most important red we ever get.

Some ducked out of going yesterday, mainly because of the Plymouth performance. Others think there's nothing much to play for and want the season over. With my personal record v Gillingham being shocking, I for one thoroughly enjoyed the whole day......I intend to enjoy a few more before the 5th of May and so should you. For those that are flying up to Manchester next week I will see you all at about 05:30 at the airport.:winking:

Last edited:
A lovely day when everything went right - 8 trains in total there and back and every one of them dead on time -there's a rarity believe me. I even made it on time to get a Rossi ice cream before walking to the game. And then everything came off for us and nothing went right for them -just what you want against local rivals.

We've gone for the team that can't score from set pieces only concede to the opposite. It helps when players like McLaughlin and Kightly can take accurate corners. I was surprised McLaughlin continued when he was limping in the first couple of minutes after some desperate defending - but as Paul Clark said if he plays like that every week after an early knock he would personally go and kick him as he walks out onto the pitch. If you can place a corner on your own player's head you've got a great chance of scoring.

McLaughlin now has 10 assists - mostly from corners and 5 goals.

Theo was asked to do what he does best - play up the middle and get behind them and he rattled in a volley - maybe off his shin.

McLaughlin and Kightly both showed why they play on the "wrong" wings cutting in and shooting on their stronger foot and getting in the six yard box to knock in rebounds -we need that goal threat when there is little from the front two. They are so much better at that than McGlashan.

4-0 up at half time against 10 men it would have been nice to get appropriate revenge for the drubbings we have had a Priestfield over the years however we failed miserably - Cox's attempt from the half way line was as bad as the guy doing the crossbar challenge and everyone seemed to be trying to set Yearwood up for a goal - he must score soon.

Clearly the south end of the pitch is lot worse than the north end where it is easier to score. The recent goal count at each end shows that. Shame we don't get many goals down our end.

Anyway Gillingham dug in and salvaged some pride in the second half. Holy looked a complete clown in August but has made substantially more saves than any other keeper in league 1 and kept the score to 4.

The stats Southend 17 shots, 10 on target; Gillingham 1 shot, 0 on target show our dominance. if only we could do it away from home.

Another little stat Demetriou, Turner and White have scored 13 league goals and Cox, Fortune, Ranger and Robinson have scored 14. Will the back 4 or front 2 come out on top at the season end? Kightly, McLaughlin and McGlashan on 12 are just behind them. Central midfield are trailing with 8. The front 2 do need sorting for next season if we are to improve.

No goals in the second half against 10 men? Have to question the motivational skills of the manager? Has he lost the dressing room? If we don't win every game by at least three goals from until mid November a replacement will be needed. Plan for it now Ron
struth...........you lost the plot or something?:nope:

Back