• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Gillingham

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United bagged a quartet of first half goals to cruise to a comfortable 4-0 win against Gillingham at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Worst team I’ve seen at Roots Hall in many years, nothing went their way but they were also shambolic. That said, takes nothing away from how superb we were first half.

Kightly being back in the team stretched them with McLaughlin on the other flank and Robinson was tearing them apart with his pace and linked up well with Cox.

They gave up after 2-0, we were enjoying ourselves and kept fighting. Second half we looked like scoring 5 or 6 but sensibly eased off a bit later on with some tired legs after two games in four days.

Red card for them looked perhaps a little harsh but I wasn’t as shocked as some, and they were fortunate not to get another in the second half when he went to book Wagstaff already on a yellow and then realised. No complaints there from us though!

Oxley 7 His drop kick almost led to an own goal in his only real contribution.
Demetriou 7 Got forward very well but got sloppy as he tired later on.
Turner 9 Absolutely superb, shrugged off their elbows and strength with ease and great header for the goal.
White 7 Struggled when they targeted him at first but grew into the game and was comfortable by the end.
Coker 7 Got forward more than he has of late but still lacking something. Solid at the back.
McLaughlin 9 Gave them the run around with his quick sharp and move passing down the flank.
Timlin 7 Won every tackle, would have been an 8 if not for some sloppy second half passes.
Yearwood 8 Whereas he used to have a lot of shots from distance he could have done with more today, bossed the midfield and brought others in well.
Kightly 9 Creative outlet, great contribution and positioning for the goal and showed he deserves to be playing.
Cox 8 Strong and influential up-front, a leader in this team in every way.
Robinson 8 His pace caused real problems, good movement too. As expected, got tired and lost that yard of pace which made the difference.

Subs
Harrison 7 Got forward and back well.
Ladapo 6 Looked like the Theo Robinson we’ve seen all season only without the pace.
Wright 7 Shored the midfield up and got forward.

If this team can perform like this consistently with some sensible additions in the summer then that is a top quality platform to build on.

Since Chris Powell has come in the midfield combination we had today has been key to our success, as it was again today. We were excellent, but also clinical. Gillingham weren't bad, we made them look bad. Fine second half they tired and got sloppy but you could see they have some quality. But we were much better.
Turner was unreal again, very good signing.
Overall, I enjoyed that a lot. Even Theo was quality, where's he been?

Was it just the quality of the opposition which explains our resurrection from Good Friday's lamentable performance or did the inclusion of Theo, Timlin and Kightly from the start make all the difference?

Worst team I’ve seen at Roots Hall in many years, nothing went their way but they were also shambolic. That said, takes nothing away from how superb we were first half.

Kightly being back in the team stretched them with McLaughlin on the other flank and Robinson was tearing them apart with his pace and linked up well with Cox.

They gave up after 2-0, we were enjoying ourselves and kept fighting. Second half we looked like scoring 5 or 6 but sensibly eased off a bit later on with some tired legs after two games in four days.

Red card for them looked perhaps a little harsh but I wasn’t as shocked as some, and they were fortunate not to get another in the second half when he went to book Wagstaff already on a yellow and then realised. No complaints there from us though!

Turner 9 Absolutely superb, shrugged off their elbows and strength with ease and great header for the goal.
White 7 Struggled when they targeted him at first but grew into the game and was comfortable by the end.
Coker 7 Got forward more than he has of late but still lacking something. Solid at the back.
McLaughlin 9 Gave them the run around with his quick sharp and move passing down the flank.
Timlin 7 Won every tackle, would have been an 8 if not for some sloppy second half passes.
Yearwood 8 Whereas he used to have a lot of shots from distance he could have done with more today, bossed the midfield and brought others in well.
Kightly 9 Creative outlet, great contribution and positioning for the goal and showed he deserves to be playing.
Robinson 8 His pace caused real problems, good movement too. As expected, got tired and lost that yard of pace which made the difference.

Subs
Ladapo 6 Looked like the Theo Robinson we’ve seen all season only without the pace.

If this team can perform like this consistently with some sensible additions in the summer then that is a top quality platform to build on.

Wot he said!

Gillingham were dire today and when Theo scored the guy next to me said 'If they let Theo score you just know we're going to stuff them', that was a bit harsh as I thought Theo had his best game of the season, and he deserved his ovation when he was subbed. I fet sorry for Coxy today, you could see he was absolutely desparate to score, but things just didn't happen for him. Realistically he should have had two possibly three today,but that's being picky. Great result and FL1 football guaranteed for next season.

Well!!! That was entertaining!
SO different from Friday it seem unreal.
Did the changes make a difference? YES, but Gills were very poor compared to Plymouth. However Timlin was more combatative and covered more ground than Mantom did, certainly Kites was faster, more creative, worked harder than Woody. The comparison of Theo with MAF is harder to make, Theo had a fine game with fast runs into space and linking up with a midfield that MAF did not have, Theo had his best game for us and showed real pace in running beyond the line.
The rest of the team also did well through out, Coker was a markedly improved man.
The scoreline flatters Gills and SCP was berating the poor finishing that didn't get us 5/6/7 or 8 goals.

Our subs? Harrison, Lapado and Wright all struggled to match the play of the players they replaced and did not show an intensity they ought to have.

From this game SCP will have learnt some more about who to keep and who to thank and bid farewell to.

Timlin and Dru is the winning midfield combination! We need to stop changing things in the centre!!

Subs

Well!!! That was entertaining!
SO different from Friday it seem unreal.
Did the changes make a difference? YES, but Gills were very poor compared to Plymouth. However Timlin was more combatative and covered more ground than Mantom did, certainly Kites was faster, more creative, worked harder than Woody. The comparison of Theo with MAF is harder to make, Theo had a fine game with fast runs into space and linking up with a midfield that MAF did not have, Theo had his best game for us and showed real pace in running beyond the line.
The rest of the team also did well through out, Coker was a markedly improved man.
The scoreline flatters Gills and SCP was berating the poor finishing that didn't get us 5/6/7 or 8 goals.

Our subs? Harrison, Lapado and Wright all struggled to match the play of the players they replaced and did not show an intensity they ought to have.

From this game SCP will have learnt some more about who to keep and who to thank and bid farewell to.

Two great posts and exactly what we’re looking for in the Post Match/Ratings thread. Thanks guys.

Most fun I’ve had at Roots Hall in years but Jesus Christ they were abysmal

When was the last home or away game when we were 4 - 0 up at half time??
Macclesfield at home in January 2011, finished 4-1 (Bilel x2, Hall, Easton).

Biggest win since Cheltenham at home in March 2012 when they had Jack Butland in goal and lost 4-0 (Ferdinand, Hall, Eastwood, Bilel).

Best 45 minutes I've seen at roots hall for years, turner didn't give them a sniff all game, how are Gillingham half way up the table:omg:

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Class performance from Turner. Superb from everyone in the first half. Gills were awful, we hit form and it could have been 7 at the break.

It really wasn't their day... man sent off, 2 goals disallowed, several soft bookings, but a truly abysmal 1st half showing, one of the worst I've seen at this level.

Second half was slightly disappointing but fair play to them as they worked tirelessly to keep it at 4. That said, 2 cracking shots from Macca and Yearwood, a halfway line effort from Cox at an empty net, Turner nearly putting one in at the back post and in injury time Cox beating the keeper but also the far post... on another day 2 or 3 of those go in and it's a cricket score.

Absolutely superb though. More of the same please.

Really turned the screw first half, good performances all round. The only negative I could see was Timlins woeful passing. He put in a couple of good tackles but I don't remember him managing a decent pass to another blue shirt

Really turned the screw first half, good performances all round. The only negative I could see was Timlins woeful passing. He put in a couple of good tackles but I don't remember him managing a decent pass to another blue shirt

Some of his passes were wasteful, but more found their mark so maybe you're probably being ultra critical today Webby? After all we did win 4-0 and Timlin and Yearwood pretty much bossed the whole match in the middle. I've forgiven him for the poor bits, maybe you could find it in your heart to be generous in victory as well?

Back