• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First half 4-5-1, why?

Because we'd lost our previous away game 4-0.

I know the set up "looks" defensive but I could argue that in practice it often wasn't.

For instance at around 30 minutes gone, Blackburn hoofed the ball out of defence into the Southend half ........ where there were no Blackburn players as they were all back defending. And again in the 2nd half there were a number of times when Blackburn simply cleared the ball out ......... and gave the ball straight back to us as all their 11 men were in their own half.

Compare that with Southend United where Cox stayed up front all the time often with 3 Blackburn defenders as company.

And we certainly didn't sit back behind a line of 5 and 4 and let them come to us either. :thumbsup:

Blackburn defended and attacked as a team. In contrast to ourselves when they committed men forward (which wasn't all that often) they really did commit men forward. First half I was actually unimpressed with them going forward as they seemed stuck in second gear but in the second half they upped gears and dominated the start of the second half so that their goal was just a matter of time. I think if we'd equalised they'd have stepped it up again.

For all our huff and puff we rarely troubled them in and around the penalty area. Whilst we moved the ball well first half - the first time passing was a pleasing improvement - it produced little goal threat. When CP first took over we tried to score from getting the ball wide and crossing it in. With just Cox in the middle this wasn't a viable tactic and we knew it so we didn't try it but we then didn't really have an alternative plan to break them down when we were in possession. If we were to score, it looked like having to be from a bad defensive mistake, on the break or from a set piece. With Blackburn not looking like making many mistakes it was no surprise that our only real chances first half came from a corner that Cox flicked tamely at the keeper and Demetriou's charge forward and shot over the bar on the break.

Second half was all Blackburn until they took a deserved lead. Although Blackburn only really played for about 15 minutes Oxley was far the busier keeper. Defensively they were well organised and had that extra quality when they stepped up the pressure. I think 1-0 was probably just about a fair result but I expect I'll be in a minority of one on here. I also expect we gave Blackburn a harder workout than many teams and their fans will have been relieved to have come away with the win. It all made for a pretty entertaining and competitive encounter. Of course it would have been that much more entertaining if the penalty had been given at the end or if that scramble had gone in but it wasn't to be. Still, a performance away from home that we can very much hold our heads up about, and that's not something we've been able to say all that much this season.

When CP first took over we tried to score from getting the ball wide and crossing it in. With just Cox in the middle this wasn't a viable tactic and we knew it so we didn't try it but we then didn't really have an alternative plan to break them down when we were in possession. If we were to score, it looked like having to be from a bad defensive mistake, on the break or from a set piece. With Blackburn not looking like making many mistakes it was no surprise that our only real chances first half came from a corner that Cox flicked tamely at the keeper and Demetriou's charge forward and shot over the bar on the break.

I was disappointed at times that midfield players chose to pass the ball sideways rather than take a shot. We have seen deflections go in this season ........ or perhaps a corner results. I thought on Saturday that Lenny would have had a pop or two.

I was disappointed at times that midfield players chose to pass the ball sideways rather than take a shot. We have seen deflections go in this season ........ or perhaps a corner results. I thought on Saturday that Lenny would have had a pop or two.

Mantom had a shot from distance that was blocked but Blackburn defended very well. I get your point that they could have had a lucky ricochet but I think the defenders were generally directly in front of the shot meaning it was more likely to be blocked than deflected. Certainly McLaughlin cut inside a number of times and I kept looking for him to shoot and it never seemed to be quite there for it. Credit Blackburn.

Can I thank all posters for their comments. Really informative for those who weren't there. Quality of the debates was excellent. Good on yer.

I agree with you over Ladapo and Fortune(reluctantly) but I would keep Cox. Partnered with a 'proper' No9 I think he could still be a first choice player at Roots Hall.

Absolutely. 100%. What Rootsybloke says.

I'm not for one second saying I don't rate Cox, its just at the end of the season CP has a big decision to make. In an ideal world we would keep him and sign two more forwards but Cox will be on a fair wage for a club like ours so a tough choice might have to be made.

For what its worth even last season I always thought Cox in particular and Wordsworth were above average at home but often below average away. Not much has changed if anything it has got worse and now I would add Fortune to that list.

Back