• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England - Summer 2018

This was a shocker, I'm not sure we are the best side in UK even, let alone the World.

I had a ticket for today. When it was forecast to rain I was hoping we lost last night so I didn't have to trek to Lords only to find no play or only intermittent.
As it was I got there and the weather was lovely. If there had been 11 less balls we'd have got our tickets refunded but I'd have liked another half hour or so at least. Still, worse places to be.

To the cricket - we have been a bang average Test side for a few years now since Strauss decided to focus entirely on making money from limited overs cricket.
under both Cook and Root we've been massively inconsistent and there is a huge arrogance and complacency about the place - we'll win coz English conditions and them foreigners don't like it up em.

Then people go on about Pakistan being exciting but lacking discipline and application. Well they showed those virtues and we didn't. We seem to get bored straight away and slog it and try to get funky all the time. That isn't good enough and it starts from the top.
I think that player's careers are being ruined because the team is being poorly run rather than players who aren't very good. everyone comes into the test team and gets worse under the current lot apart from Anderson

a sensible move that should have been made before the first Test - Jennings is in form, Stoneman isn't.
However, Jennings is clearly South African so I don't feel very comfortable about him playing for England

a sensible move that should have been made before the first Test - Jennings is in form, Stoneman isn't.
However, Jennings is clearly South African so I don't feel very comfortable about him playing for England

Bit unfair BS, we have had Greig,Lamb, R Smith,Trott, Pietersen, to name a few that have graced the English shirt who were clearly Boks

Bit unfair BS, we have had Greig,Lamb, R Smith,Trott, Pietersen, to name a few that have graced the English shirt who were clearly Boks

I (think) I know where BS is coming from though. When Jennings was first emerging as an international prospect, I'll admit to being a little disappointed to hear he was a Saffer.

We've had some truly wonderful South African players over the years - what a list you've compiled there! - but I always prefer to hear of us picking players who are actually English rather than ones coming over here because of quota restrictions back home.

And yes, I know many of these guys have had every right to play for England through parents etc. but it still sticks in the craw a little.

England South African XI:

Strauss, Trott, Lamb, Pietersen, A. Greig, R Smith, d'Oliveira, Prior, I. Greig, Curran, Radford

OK the bowling ain't that good but think of the runs

At least you didn't pick Jade Dernbach.

I suppose Robin Jackman could be a shout for the bowling attack too?

don't disagree with that, but it doesn't sit right with me. On one hand it feels like cheating for us to be luring players from other countries, on the other it feels like they are mercenaries only here because they feel they have a better chance here than elsewhere and would just as happily turn out for Pakistan if money and opportunity allowed.
Mine is a minority view but I hold true to it

don't disagree with that, but it doesn't sit right with me. On one hand it feels like cheating for us to be luring players from other countries, on the other it feels like they are mercenaries only here because they feel they have a better chance here than elsewhere and would just as happily turn out for Pakistan if money and opportunity allowed.
Mine is a minority view but I hold true to it

No its not minority view, I would agree to a point, but then I look at Jack Charlton Ireland's World cup football team of Irishmen :smile:, too much money nowadays in all sports to be proud to wear the shirt, its the highest bid gets you sadly

England South African XI:

Strauss, Trott, Lamb, Pietersen, A. Greig, R Smith, d'Oliveira, Prior, I. Greig, Curran, Radford

OK the bowling ain't that good but think of the runs

Could we play with ten men and take out Ian Greig, or call up Sam Curran better prospect :winking::smile:

Back