• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England - Summer 2018

No its not minority view, I would agree to a point, but then I look at Jack Charlton Ireland's World cup football team of Irishmen :smile:, too much money nowadays in all sports to be proud to wear the shirt, its the highest bid gets you sadly

good, glad you're with me. It does cheapen it a bit for me. Having a foreign manager is bad enough, but players too?
That goes for everywhere for me, that's not just England

Don't want to count my chickens, but Anderson destroyed those stumps at 20/1

Edit: Anderson strikes again to make it 30/2

Edit / Edit: 42/3..... this time... Broad (48/3 at lunch).

Last edited:
don't disagree with that, but it doesn't sit right with me. On one hand it feels like cheating for us to be luring players from other countries, on the other it feels like they are mercenaries only here because they feel they have a better chance here than elsewhere and would just as happily turn out for Pakistan if money and opportunity allowed.
Mine is a minority view but I hold true to it

I think it's a little different to Jack Charlton's Ireland where the Irish FA found players with an Irish relative who weren't good enough for England. Instead it is counties luring players here when they are young with offers of employment. They then move to this country and make a life for themselves here and presumably call it home. Then after a number of years living and playing here - often marrying English girls they'll get called up. I believe most end up staying after their playing career.

That said the idea that we have a competitive edge because county cricket provides better employment opportunities than South Africa or West Indies doesn't sit well with me either and I'd like more to be done to provide better opportunities in their domestic cricket and better rewards for their international cricketers.

I think it's a little different to Jack Charlton's Ireland where the Irish FA found players with an Irish relative who weren't good enough for England. Instead it is counties luring players here when they are young with offers of employment. They then move to this country and make a life for themselves here and presumably call it home. Then after a number of years living and playing here - often marrying English girls they'll get called up. I believe most end up staying after their playing career.

That said the idea that we have a competitive edge because county cricket provides better employment opportunities than South Africa or West Indies doesn't sit well with me either and I'd like more to be done to provide better opportunities in their domestic cricket and better rewards for their international cricketers.

Kolpaks is another thing that gets my goat. the likes of Hampshire, Surrey and Lancashire are packed full of Kolpak players while other counties with less cash have to develop their own. I'd prefer something like all teams are allowed three non-English players and they can break that down however they like. This season Hampshire will have 2 or 3 English players in their whole XI and that doesn't seem right or fair to me

Kolpaks is another thing that gets my goat. the likes of Hampshire, Surrey and Lancashire are packed full of Kolpak players while other counties with less cash have to develop their own. I'd prefer something like all teams are allowed three non-English players and they can break that down however they like. This season Hampshire will have 2 or 3 English players in their whole XI and that doesn't seem right or fair to me

Essex's captain is/was a Kolpak (and I slated the county at the time for signing him :blush:)

And we've just signed Shane Snater.

Fortunately we've done a better job of bringing through our own of late.

Essex's captain is/was a Kolpak (and I slated the county at the time for signing him :blush:)

And we've just signed Shane Snater.

Fortunately we've done a better job of bringing through our own of late.

agree. We have ten do, Harmer and Snater, though ten do and Snater are 'Dutch' so they aren't kolpaks. But I totally agree, and is part of why I think every team should be allowed three

I'm never happy that England lose, but that was a fantastic occasion at The Grange yesterday and it was pleasing to see Scotland shove two fingers up the administrators who reduced the number of teams at the World Cup.

Hopefully a little smack round the chops for England too ahead of the ODIs against the Aussies.

Australia bowled out for 214. I stupidly thought to myself this should be straight forward enough. Roy goes for a duck, Hales for just 5 runs and Bairstow has just gifted them a wicket. England currently 38-3 :sad:

Edit: We crept over the line, but in typical England fashion, we didn't half make it more difficult than it should have been.

I must admit, when it went from 153-4 to 163-6..... I was fearing the worst.

Last edited:
I see India have just played a Test Match at home to Afghanistan, ahead of coming here.

Blink and you would have missed it! :blush:

I see India have just played a Test Match at home to Afghanistan, ahead of coming here.

Blink and you would have missed it! :blush:

Delighted to see Afghanistan join the club but that is a brutal start!

i

Bairstow working his magic right now to wind up this series as soon as possible.

England could easily get 500 here!

I'm not sure about easily, but it's possible.

To make the highest ODI score they need another 130 off of 15. That's 8.67 an over. The last 5 overs went for 12.20 an over. They'd need to go at 12.40 an over for 500.

433-3 with just over 5 overs remaining...can we make it to 447 and break the record?... i really hope so.

Back