• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slightly tangential but this does have a Southend United link (tenuous I know) ............. but I am quite interested in the level of enmity and animosity towards M.K. Dons that still continues.

Like many people the whole episode that "allowed" Milton Keynes to "gain" a footing in the league without working their way up the pyramid goes against the basic principles of the football league ........... but there it is. They (M.K. Dons) are in our league (for a little while at least).

Given that many of their current fans had nothing to do with the move and are now simply supporting their local team (and that is better than them travelling to London and supporting Arsenal etcetera) is it about time to call an end to this hostility?

If the answer is "no" then what needs to happen before you say "let by gones be by gones"?

Back in November,I managed to overcome all my hatred of that “club” and finally ticked off the ground and though we threw away 2 points I’m delighted to be able to report that they are by far and away the worst league one team I’ve seen all season-and I have seen them all.

On a slightly different tack, there are other teams that I don't like - sometimes for good reason (floodlight failure at Aldershot anyone? Pitch invasion at Grimsby is another) and that continues onwards. Are their other fans out there that don't like Southend United because of some perceived injustice that "we" dished out in the past?

Last edited:
Slightly tangential but this does have a Southend United link (tenuous I know) ............. but I am quite interested in the level of enmity and animosity towards M.K. Dons that still continues.

Like many people the whole episode that "allowed" Milton Keynes to "gain" a footing in the league without working their way up the pyramid goes against the basic principles of the football league ........... but there it is. They (M.K. Dons) are in our league (for a little while at least).

Given that many of their current fans had nothing to do with the move and are now simply supporting their local team (and that is better than them travelling to London and supporting Arsenal etcetera) is it about time to call an end to this hostility?

If the answer is "no" then what needs to happen before you say "let by gones be by gones"?

On a slightly different tack, there are other teams that I don't like - sometimes for good reason (floodlight failure at Wimbledon anyone? Pitch invasion at Grimsby is another) and that continues onwards. Are their other fans out there that don't like Southend United because of some perceived injustice that "we" dished out in the past?

I had a memory the other night of pictures of a burning Southend Pier dropped on our fans by Forest fans above them. It was the return fixture of the 2005-6 season after we'd beaten them 1-0 at the Hall the previous Autumn. I know some of the 'big' club fans used to hate it when our fans sang "You're not famous anymore". There was some talk that Forest fans started a fire in the pub that was at the end of the Pier that night after our win - if so, it spread like a Forest fire. Sorry.

On a slightly different tack, there are other teams that I don't like - sometimes for good reason (floodlight failure at Wimbledon anyone? Pitch invasion at Grimsby is another) and that continues onwards. Are their other fans out there that don't like Southend United because of some perceived injustice that "we" dished out in the past?

Aldershot?

I still have no soft spot whatsoever for Birmingham after they poached Barry Fry and destroyed the best ever Southend team I'd witnessed (which is still the case).

But I don't hate them anymore.

As for MK Dons, I don't like the franchise model and the way the fans are completely ignored. But that isn't the fans fault and actually, the stadium is one of my fave grounds. I also loved that they beat Man Utd 4-0 a few years back.

For me, I have far too much to do to worry about other clubs. It's hard enough supporting us at times!

Given that many of their current fans had nothing to do with the move and are now simply supporting their local team (and that is better than them travelling to London and supporting Arsenal etcetera) is it about time to call an end to this hostility.

They already had a local non-league team in or near Milton Keynes that they could have supported, well before 'Wimbledon' came along. I can't remember it's name but it's now defunct.

Birmingham and Fry
West ham , Gold and Brady ...see Birmingham
MK Dons see above
Inverness Caledonian Thistle (Businessman buys a league place and destroys two clubs to fill it it)
Chesterfield - Their fans and the Sick Daryll Flahavan chant
Grimsby

I am sure I will think of some more

To play Devils Advocate here, would Wimbledon of old just gone of out business if they didn't move to MK?

And I wasn't here then, but it's highly unlikely, bar a few, that anyone here supported MK City. Like most places, the majority support Premier League clubs that they only see on the TV. My brother-in-law used to go, but really he supports QPR (having lived there for awhile as a child) but the ease of having a team on your doorstep obviously sold it to him. Not for me - I couldn't give a toss about them either way.

This is a good thread because I suspect this is an issue which really divides opinion.

For me, what happened was appalling. No club’s fans should have their club taken away from them so that another area can gain a football league place. Which is effectively what happened. As others have said, MK should have just invested in MK City and worked their way up like Wimbledon’s fans had to when they formed AFC.

However a lot of time has passed and I think a turning point for me was when MK Dons gave back the FA Cup and all of their former club’s history to AFC. For me that was them admitting that they no longer wanted to be seen as the artist formerly known as Wimbledon and to be known as a club which formed in 2003 in Milton Keynes. That was a great moral move in my view.

So they’ve definitely made a huge mistake in the past but I do think recently they’ve tried to move on and maybe some of us should too?

I’ve been to Stadium MK a couple of times now and it is a superb stadium. If Fossett’s Farm is anything like that we’ll be in for a treat. How they’re struggling at the wrong end of League One I’ll never know coz their facilities wouldn’t look out of place in the Premier League.

This is a good thread because I suspect this is an issue which really divides opinion.

For me, what happened was appalling. No club’s fans should have their club taken away from them so that another area can gain a football league place. Which is effectively what happened. As others have said, MK should have just invested in MK City and worked their way up like Wimbledon’s fans had to when they formed AFC.

However a lot of time has passed and I think a turning point for me was when MK Dons gave back the FA Cup and all of their former club’s history to AFC. For me that was them admitting that they no longer wanted to be seen as the artist formerly known as Wimbledon and to be known as a club which formed in 2003 in Milton Keynes. That was a great moral move in my view.

So they’ve definitely made a huge mistake in the past but I do think recently they’ve tried to move on and maybe some of us should too?

I’ve been to Stadium MK a couple of times now and it is a superb stadium. If Fossett’s Farm is anything like that we’ll be in for a treat. How they’re struggling at the wrong end of League One I’ll never know coz their facilities wouldn’t look out of place in the Premier League.

If they only gave that impression by dropping the Dons bit......

If they no longer wanted to be seen as the artist formally known as Wimbledon, why would they keep the ‘Dons’.

Loose the Dons in the name, it has nothing to do with Milton Keynes other than to remind people that they had stolen Wimbledon’s place in the Football pyramid.

Edit: I see I was beaten to that point! Slow fingers.

I always look out for their results and am always looking for them to lose. Can't believe people have such a lack of self respect that they would declare themselves an MK Dons fan. If they said they were too lazy to travel all the way to Northampton to watch football so they stay in MK and aren't fussed who wins - that would have an element of logic - but to be an MK Dons fan makes no sense to me.

Not for me, what they did is a disgrace. They would never have done it to Millwall but bullied Wimbledon. If someone ever did that to us I would declare a Jihad towards the new owners and fans.

I did vow never to visit their stadium but went this season. Only because I called in a few favours as it was a night game and got 6 complimentary tickets. I never spent a single penny in their ground and made sure some well deserving Shrimpers got in for free.

Back