• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have already offered him a contract. Not that he will be signing anything just yet. Will want to give himself the best chance of a bigger club coming in. I understand he has also spoken to Bradford who will be able to offer him a lot more.

Sometimes the delays are beyond our control.

Not according to Ron. We are the 4th highest payers in the division

Last year we were. And that probably means there's not much wriggle room in the budget unless we offload a fair few first.

Re Lyle Taylor- would be a great signing.
He would want to say down south but we are very good at wasting a bunch of time and watching targets disappear.
Of course his agent will say wait and see.
If we want him we need to go in with a very attractive package- salary, min 3 year contract and say look, we want you and here a very attractive offering but we are doing our business early. if you want to gamble on something even more attractive coming along then fine but we are not a backstop.
If we just go in with something that they are certain to beat from another southern L1 club at least then we know what the market for decent forwards is like and he has nothing to lose. These are the realities and why we normally get the end of window left overs.
At least he is on a free.

He’ll probably be waiting to see if Concord Rangers want to sign him up again.

Re Lyle Taylor- would be a great signing.
He would want to say down south but we are very good at wasting a bunch of time and watching targets disappear.
Of course his agent will say wait and see.
If we want him we need to go in with a very attractive package- salary, min 3 year contract and say look, we want you and here a very attractive offering but we are doing our business early. if you want to gamble on something even more attractive coming along then fine but we are not a backstop.
If we just go in with something that they are certain to beat from another southern L1 club at least then we know what the market for decent forwards is like and he has nothing to lose. These are the realities and why we normally get the end of window left overs.
At least he is on a free.

If only it were that simple. If you were him would you sign a contract with us right now when a Championship club could blow any possible wages we could offer out the water? No way i would. You'd be mad too. That's why that normally happens. Most league 1 clubs are in the same boat. It's certainly not just always us, if anything we have signed some bigger names in the last few years than some of our rivals.

If only it were that simple. If you were him would you sign a contract with us right now when a Championship club could blow any possible wages we could offer out the water? No way i would. You'd be mad too. That's why that normally happens. Most league 1 clubs are in the same boat. It's certainly not just always us, if anything we have signed some bigger names in the last few years than some of our rivals.

Well the key word is "could".
Of course Brown was berated on here for waiting and waiting and working his way down his target list as they eventually fell by the wayside. SCP is lauded because he gets deals done early and even before the pre-season.
We can't have it both ways, and unfortunately this will mean waving goodbye to a good few Lyle's early.. and of course while we wait for the Lyle's of the world a favourite sport on here is pointing at all the other clubs new striker signings and saying why have we signed no-one look at the latest one we have "missed out on".

Of course Brown was berated on here for waiting and waiting and working his way down his target list as they eventually fell by the wayside.

I remember PB being berated because of his bizarre and frustrating ways of using Chris Phillips to give updates through social media. Frankly towards the end of his tenure I don't think he could sell the club to a prospect so he had to wait and take a chance on an unfit player or call in a favour [Turner, and Ferdinand through Cox]. Also many players had left stating in the media that he wasn't pleasant to work with [Worrall] and didn't feel wanted [Atkinson and Thompson]. If they were talking publicly, imagine what they say privately? Not meaning just those three player either which probably made it harder for himself...

CP has a much better chance of selling the club because he can say look what we did in 18 games, if I was here sooner we could* be in the Championship and that's why I want you here next season.

*slight oversell but you never know.

We have already offered him a contract. Not that he will be signing anything just yet. Will want to give himself the best chance of a bigger club coming in. I understand he has also spoken to Bradford who will be able to offer him a lot more.

Sometimes the delays are beyond our control.

I know a Bradford fan at work and he says their budget is actually pretty average, because the owners made season tickets £150 (going up to £170 next year) they don't actually make much money from ticket receipts and so there isn't that much revenue to spend on transfers. The rumours are that Simon Grayson refused to renew his contract because he felt that with the budget the owners wanted to give him the target of promotion was unrealistic.

Of course Brown was berated on here for waiting and waiting and working his way down his target list as they eventually fell by the wayside. SCP is lauded because he gets deals done early and even before the pre-season.
We can't have it both ways, and unfortunately this will mean waving goodbye to a good few Lyle's early.. and of course while we wait for the Lyle's of the world a favourite sport on here is pointing at all the other clubs new striker signings and saying why have we signed no-one look at the latest one we have "missed out on".

Your missing the point. CP had different budgets at other clubs far superior to SUFC. Cox was a big name signing.....Goater even bigger and even later and worked absolute wonders did it not? Ps you didn't answer my question whether you'd sign that early offer if you were in Lyle Taylor's shoes? We all would prefer to have our squad assembled early but sometimes that isn't viable to circumstances out of our control.

I remember PB being berated because of his bizarre and frustrating ways of using Chris Phillips to give updates through social media. Frankly towards the end of his tenure I don't think he could sell the club to a prospect so he had to wait and take a chance on an unfit player or call in a favour [Turner, and Ferdinand through Cox]. Also many players had left stating in the media that he wasn't pleasant to work with [Worrall] and didn't feel wanted [Atkinson and Thompson]. If they were talking publicly, imagine what they say privately? Not meaning just those three player either which probably made it harder for himself...

CP has a much better chance of selling the club because he can say look what we did in 18 games, if I was here sooner we could* be in the Championship and that's why I want you here next season.

*slight oversell but you never know.

Its good to hear we will no longer waiting for such players now- should be a very exciting next 3-4 weeks.

Your missing the point. CP had different budgets at other clubs far superior to SUFC. Cox was a big name signing.....Goater even bigger and even later and worked absolute wonders did it not? Ps you didn't answer my question whether you'd sign that early offer if you were in Lyle Taylor's shoes? We all would prefer to have our squad assembled early but sometimes that isn't viable to circumstances out of our control.

Well I would because I would pick Southend ahead of most clubs- but then I'm a lifelong supporter.
Demetriou picked Southend at this stage of last season- he could arguably have waited and got more money elsewhere but area, security, near family etc. was more important to him.
Lyle Taylor is from Greenwich and has largely played for clubs in the London area- if he wants to stay local then if the offer is good and fair he might well take it now (but it his personal circumstance and I don't know).
But SCP has clearly stated he wants he business done early- so I suspect whether you disagree or not with this it means that players will have to decide (surely a natural consequence?)

Well I would because I would pick Southend ahead of most clubs- but then I'm a lifelong supporter.
Demetriou picked Southend at this stage of last season- he could arguably have waited and got more money elsewhere but area, security, near family etc. was more important to him.
Lyle Taylor is from Greenwich and has largely played for clubs in the London area- if he wants to stay local then if the offer is good and fair he might well take it now (but it his personal circumstance and I don't know).
But SCP has clearly stated he wants he business done early- so I suspect whether you disagree or not with this it means that players will have to decide (surely a natural consequence?)
Early as in before pre season starts? I would say that’s the best way to do it if you get who you want ! What date do our players report back? End of June?

so looking at our squad (at the moment) I'd say that our most important signing would be a decent keeper no matter what happens with Oxley, I'd actually prefer an old pair of hands in to help develop our youngsters, if we manage to hold on to Oxley this summer and he performs like he did this season we are more likely to lose him in Jan or next summer so someone needs to be ready to step in or step up when that happens

so looking at our squad (at the moment) I'd say that our most important signing would be a decent keeper no matter what happens with Oxley, I'd actually prefer an old pair of hands in to help develop our youngsters, if we manage to hold on to Oxley this summer and he performs like he did this season we are more likely to lose him in Jan or next summer so someone needs to be ready to step in or step up when that happens

We will probably keep Ted and he won’t be third choice?
plus we have been turning out international goal keepers at all age groups because we have a top goalkeeping coaching set up aleady.
we will only bring in a keeper if Oxley doesn’t Sign a new contact I think

Back