• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I’m a huge fan of Simon Cox and what he brings to the side. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this was due to finances. There’s no doubt he must be one of our top earners as he was on his way down from the Championship when we signed him and everyone on here was excitedly stating how he’d smash 30 goals per season in League One.

But he doesn’t quite brought that sort of return and maybe Powell thinksg for the wages he could get more from another player. Personally I think 30 goal per season strikers are 9 times out of 10 going to be out of our reach. Every 10 years or so we might get lucky with an unexpected success like Eastwood but generally speaking we won’t be the most attractive option for a forward who has already shown big goal scoring potential.

So therefore I’d spend the money on a striker who will chip in with a few goals but also bring a lot to the side as a team player and you’re not gonna get many better than Simon Cox for that role IMO.

His stats for last season make depessing reading, only 10 goals and 2 assists is simply not good enough.The change of manager arguably saw his productivity drop with only 3 goals in those18 games.Despite his mediocre career record I get the impression he thinks he is some kind of big shot and that is not the kind of player we need nor what Powell wants I would have thought. A hungry young striker would be a vast improvement. If he does re-sign it will only hold us back.

Being a forum, I respect your opinion....however, standby for 3 pages of differing thoughts to yours ...:omg:

I think the fact that most rate Cox highly has been clear from the debate on various other threads so please let's not do it again..

His stats for last season make depessing reading, only 10 goals and 2 assists is simply not good enough.The change of manager arguably saw his productivity drop with only 3 goals in those18 games.Despite his mediocre career record I get the impression he thinks he is some kind of big shot and that is not the kind of player we need nor what Powell wants I would have thought. A hungry young striker would be a vast improvement. If he does re-sign it will only hold us back.

And the season before his stats were pretty good. His career league 1 record is very good and that's what league we are in. I suppose you must be pretty annoyed about the Hopper signing too?

26 goals in 86 league appearances is not a bad return and he's been our top scorer for the last two seasons unless I'm mistaken. I don't think our style of football under Brown always got the best out of him. I hope he stays as we won't be able to get many better strikers than him at our level. How do you know a "young hungry striker" would be a vast improvement? To me, Cox always puts in a shift and he actually admitted in an interview that maybe at first he did think he was too good for League One but then he had to adjust.

26 goals in 86 league appearances is not a bad return and he's been our top scorer for the last two seasons unless I'm mistaken. I don't think our style of football under Brown always got the best out of him. I hope he stays as we won't be able to get many better strikers than him at our level. How do you know a "young hungry striker" would be a vast improvement? To me, Cox always puts in a shift and he actually admitted in an interview that maybe at first he did think he was too good for League One but then he had to adjust.

Agreed. But after 4 months or whatever it was of Chris Powell’s style of football what makes you think that Chris Powell’s style of football will be better for him?

Looks like Sunderland are the front runners to sign lyle Taylor wages wise, but does he fancy a move that far north, sunny Southend is better and his close to his former club concord Rangers :smile:

Looks like Sunderland are the front runners to sign lyle Taylor wages wise, but does he fancy a move that far north, sunny Southend is better and his close to his former club concord Rangers :smile:

Apparently Charlton are interested too

Apparently Charlton are interested too

And Peterborough now. So the clubs we know about so far are Southend, Sunderland, Bristol Rovers and Peterborough. If he's money oriented then the clear winner by a mile is obviously Sunderland with their parachute payments. If not, he was a local lad, so we would have a good chance.

And the season before his stats were pretty good. His career league 1 record is very good and that's what league we are in. I suppose you must be pretty annoyed about the Hopper signing too?

Delighted with Hopper, he is the future. Cox is the past, his two good seasons at Swindon were ten years ago.

His two good seasons with Southend started 2 years ago.
First season was just about adequate for a main striker, without being brilliant. Last season was not good enough, and unfortunately characteristic of most of Cox's goalscoring record over the past ten years.

If people are expecting us to sign players with a better goalscoring record than 1 in 3.3 games in L1 over the last 2 seasons, I fear they are going to be very disappointed.

First season was just about adequate for a main striker, without being brilliant. Last season was not good enough, and unfortunately characteristic of most of Cox's goalscoring record over the past ten years.

Cox has clearly been the best striker we have had at Southend for a few years. His movement, link up play etc are excellent and he has scored in double figures for the last 2 seasons. I would argue that 1 goal in every 3-4 games for us is not a bad return. So yes lets get rid of him, there will be plenty better out there.

Better than Corr (bar one season and he was in a lower division), Assombolonga, Payne, Moshni and Barnard. You have to go back to Freddy in 2006/07 for a better return for a striker.

Back