• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My chief concern is that the longer we wait, the more we run the risk of players having a good World Cup, and pricing themselves out of our market - then even the Eastwood money may not be enough to sign them.

I've been thinking for some while that we have probably plundered Eastwood dry by now. Perhaps we could move on to Westcliff or Thorpe Bay and richer pickings?

According to today's Lincolnshire Echo, we are set to sign Scunthorpe striker Tom Hopper. The Imps had been wanting to bring him to Sincil Bank, but he wants to continue in League one.
Incidentally, it also mentions that Salford City are trying to sign Bristol Rovers striker Rory Gafney and have offered him £3k a week! It makes you realise what we are up against when looking to secure new signings.

Good to see other local papers giving better transfer news than ours :winking:

Wasn't Hopper one of the Leicester film stars ?

Yes.

Ron's gone quite quiet on the subject of due diligence that he use to like to bang on about in his blog, but if this was an isolated incidence three years ago when he was still a kid (21)) and he's kept his nose clean since then this is clearly quite different to the signings of Ranger and Inniss.

If we were to sign Hopper and manage to get Cox to sign a new deal, do you think we will stop there in regards to strikers? I still think we need a target man, but does CP think the same?

Where have they got this information from? I’ve not seen anything from either Scunthorpe or Southend to suggest it is happening, only an article a few weeks back saying we were interested.

What sort of player is he? Can’t say I know much about him as a footballer.

He's a free agent so Scunthorpe won't have much say in it and I don't think Southend would comment until it was finalised. However he was identified as a target a couple of weeks ago.

He's probably told Lincoln that he's flattered by the interest but when a club of Southend's stature comes calling you don't say no.

He's a hard-working forward, left footed, decent size without being big. Hasn't been overly prolific to date but is approaching his prime after three solid seasons in League One with Scunthorpe and perhaps in the right system is a candidate for a breakout goalscoring year. He scored on his last appearance at Roots Hall.

Where have they got this information from? I’ve not seen anything from either Scunthorpe or Southend to suggest it is happening, only an article a few weeks back saying we were interested.

What sort of player is he? Can’t say I know much about him as a footballer.

I suspect Danny Cowley has told the Lincs reporter that he is set to join us. I know Cowley spoke to Hopper during the January window and again he reiterated his desire to remain in league 1.
He's a good age (24) and has apparently grown up a lot in the last 3 years. He's hard working but just needs to add a few more goals to his game.

If he is set to join us you would think he would have to had a discussion with Sam Mantom re. what he thinks? what its like? the manager?

Maybe means there is a real chance of getting Sam back as well- not sure how well they get on but the better they do perhaps more likely.

Only three friendlies at the moment- given current player numbers thats probably a stretch without a few trialists. But a couple of weeks to go. Forget getting things done early this feels like groundhog day to me.

However, I do trust the SCP will eventually get players in that will improve us.

Looks like Tom Hopper will be done next week. From their forum...
he has got potential, some fans here didn’t like him but I thought he was OK, not prolific in scoring but he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards, I was surprised he was released, to be honest.

he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards,He certainly is a grafter and will do the above – assuming you play with more than one up top. Bit lightweight to be a target man and some of his best performances were as a last 20 minutes sub. Always engaged with the fans and will not let you down. Change of club and/or system may just be what he needs – he goes with my best wishes anyway and I’m sure many more of our fans think the same.

As above, does the dirty work up top but isn’t a 20 goal a season man. good striker to get on a free with age on his side! Deal to be completed this week.

If you want a forward who only scores 3 home goals over two years, barely ever assists, is slow in making a decision to pass and has minimal ability in holding up a ball then Hopper’s your man.

You have got a very good player. As almost all say he will give you everything, never quits and chases defenders down. Too many times here asked to do a job that sacrificed him, use him as an actual striker and allowed to go at goal he will score you goals. Hope you get behind him because some of our supporters will realise what we have lost with his release and if we fail to replace.

Back