• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I tend to think this will be a good signing- right age with training/development at a higher level, good L1 experience. Leaves us needing one more striker (assuming Cox stays) and as others have said surely, surely it will be someone who can head a ball.

SCP likes playing with two wide men, likes the ball worked down the channels/wings and plenty of balls in the box. Great strategy if...yes this is why surely the plus one will be someone who can head a football.

I tend to think this will be a good signing- right age with training/development at a higher level, good L1 experience. Leaves us needing one more striker (assuming Cox stays) and as others have said surely, surely it will be someone who can head a ball.

SCP likes playing with two wide men, likes the ball worked down the channels/wings and plenty of balls in the box. Great strategy if...yes this is why surely the plus one will be someone who can head a football.

Me, me, I can head a ball and I'm available now. I'll be waiting for CP's call.

Looks like Tom Hopper will be done next week. From their forum...
he has got potential, some fans here didn’t like him but I thought he was OK, not prolific in scoring but he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards, I was surprised he was released, to be honest.

he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards,He certainly is a grafter and will do the above – assuming you play with more than one up top. Bit lightweight to be a target man and some of his best performances were as a last 20 minutes sub. Always engaged with the fans and will not let you down. Change of club and/or system may just be what he needs – he goes with my best wishes anyway and I’m sure many more of our fans think the same.

As above, does the dirty work up top but isn’t a 20 goal a season man. good striker to get on a free with age on his side! Deal to be completed this week.

If you want a forward who only scores 3 home goals over two years, barely ever assists, is slow in making a decision to pass and has minimal ability in holding up a ball then Hopper’s your man.

You have got a very good player. As almost all say he will give you everything, never quits and chases defenders down. Too many times here asked to do a job that sacrificed him, use him as an actual striker and allowed to go at goal he will score you goals. Hope you get behind him because some of our supporters will realise what we have lost with his release and if we fail to replace.
Sounds like a MAF type of player then, maybe not as fast but happy to do the dirty work and chip in wherever possible

More on Hooper

No good in the air.
Never wins a header.
On the odd times he does it is never to a teammate.
Dont expect him to score lots of goals.
Does try , but you could have done better.

Good enough to play second fiddle to a decent striker or, a decent squad player to bring off the bench for an average League One club. Not good enough to be the main striker or for any club who is serious about promotion.

He’s a worker. 100% out of him every game but he’s just not very good as hard as he tries.

Daz has it pretty much spot on.Would probably have done better going to a L2 outfit and start banging a few goals in to rekindle his game.

But as others have said, new club, new start may be all he needs, just keep him away from those Essex girls!

Or Thai restaurants.

As many have said, hard worker but doesn’t score enough. Could benefit from coaching by prolific goalscorers. See his two headers against Wigan. How to get him to replicate that week in week out? Could be a big season for him.

20 goals in 78 starts for a young forward who was in and out of the Scunny team doesn’t look as though he ‘doesn’t score’ to me

20 goals in 78 starts for a young forward who was in and out of the Scunny team doesn’t look as though he ‘doesn’t score’ to me

Cox has a similar record for us as well, no issue there for me

Just checked and his record overall for Scunny is 1 in 5 which whilst not great, if he's seen more as a grafter / target, again I have no issue with that

Cox has a similar record for us as well, no issue there for me

Just checked and his record overall for Scunny is 1 in 5 which whilst not great, if he's seen more as a grafter / target, again I have no issue with that
A "Grafter" who will nab 10ish in a season is perfect if we have someone next to him who is more of a goal threat.

No issue with this signing if true

MAF was good in a limited role only. He completed 90 minutes only twice since Christmas. On neither occasion did he start the following match.

Hopper can play a far bigger role which allow us consistency.

I was going on Lennys comment about Hopper being like MAF but slower. I still think MAF gave so much to the team. Such a clever player, off the ball runs that created space for others, trickery with his feet etc. I am gutted the contract he was offered was taken away

MAF was good in a limited role only. He completed 90 minutes only twice since Christmas. On neither occasion did he start the following match.

Hopper can play a far bigger role which allow us consistency.
This is how I see it as well. It's clear SCP has been told to get the age of the squad down and unfortunately MAF had to make way.

Hopper's at a good age as well, plenty of room for improvement there.

There are no offcial mentions yet of Hopper coming here, but let's assume he does. It's probably not wise to read too much into the Scunthorpe views as we don't know yet how CP intends to set the side up, and for that matter, whether the line up will include Cox. But if that pairing is the outcome then it might just work to Cox's strength. Too often last season he was having to drop back into midfield to get the ball, whereas I see him as a better player when someone is doing the hard stuff and he then feeds off the scraps. We didn't see much of that last season but I still think that's what he's good at. I'm not convinced that we need a giraffe forward in the side as well (Ranger showed that that doesn't always help the side) and if we are going to morph into an 'on the ground' team this year, then two forwards like Hopper and Cox could be just what we need. Only time will tell.

So much for the insider knowledge about our transfer last weekend. If only they knew nananana

7 clubs in our league now managed 35 signings, averaging 5 each. E.g Peterborough 7 , Blackpool 6, Coventry and Plymouth 5

Back