• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Having watched every game on iFollow last season I view Cox as a hugely overrated, underachieving big name who we would be better off without. He doesn't score enough goals, creates few assists but sees too much of the ball without achieving much, to the detriment of other teammates.I hope he goes, his staying will only result in stagnation where we need fresh impetus.

The clue there is the fact that you're watching on iFollow. It is Cox's movement, often off the ball that is so important. Hugely significant player for us and I certainly hope he stays.

Last edited:
Having watched every game on iFollow last season I view Cox as a hugely overrated, underachieving big name who we would be better off without. He doesn't score enough goals, creates few assists but sees too much of the ball without achieving much, to the detriment of other teammates.I hope he goes, his staying will only result in stagnation where we need fresh impetus.

Luckily the judgement will be made SCP - clearly you think it will be very easy to replace him with better. My opinion is the opposite so I hope we don't get to find out.

A fellow Womble in my office is of the same opinion.....

We have fans who dont rate players the majority rate highly...wouldn't be bothered about what footballing mates think. If we are in for him then he will have been watched frequently by someone from the coaching staff who knows what they are looking at.

btw I don't think he's on Twitter - he was but seems to have closed account. The one referenced is a parody account- even says so in the summary

If SCP signs his main goal-scoring target (not Taylor) Cox will be moving on this summer. If Cox was going to lead SCP's line next season he would have been made an acceptable offer already. My guess is that, finances permitting, Cox will wind up with a 2 year deal at Swindon with Timlin.

Interesting post my friend is this based on what you know as factual at this time ? Or just personnel views etc ?

Cox seems very settled in Benfleet with his missus working in London it’s quite a convenient set up , not sure he’d be wanting to upsticks again , certainly not to Swindon , I for one rate him and see him as a very intelligent player who reads the game well and Chps in with a pretty good goal tally too

It’s a tricky one for me, I like Cox. I think on his day he can be unplayable. He is a very intelligent forward who makes it very difficult for the defenders but he doesn’t score enough goals. That could simply be down to the lack of service but one things for sure, I think we’d miss his influence if he were to leave which Taylor wouldn’t replace.

IFollow perhaps gives too much of a view of the game. It's not the BBC or ITV it's one camera so for the most part it's a wide view of the game with the odd close up. So for us watching from overseas, we tend to see who is or not playing well or lacking interest when we are in the gods view.

If SCP signs his main goal-scoring target (not Taylor) Cox will be moving on this summer. If Cox was going to lead SCP's line next season he would have been made an acceptable offer already. My guess is that, finances permitting, Cox will wind up with a 2 year deal at Swindon with Timlin.

So who is the main transfer target then?

I'm surprised that every player released or guessed at might be released, is being tipped to go and rejoin Phil Brown. He upset a lot of the players after a loss or a bad run. He could do the hairdryer treatment, but not so good at the arm around those that needed it, or encouraging and giving confidence. You could clearly see some weren't playing for him at the end. Cox was definitely not his biggest fan.

You must be in the minority then. If you can’t see what Simon Cox brings to the table then you need to watch more football.

To be fair due to my location I only really tend to get to away games and northern ones at that which probably haven't been overly representative of the sides overall performance, (although looking at our away form last season it could be argued that this is the area that we need to improve upon), Whilst I appreciated his movement and effort not a lot really seemed to come off and there was a distinct lack of end product whilst constantly nagging the ref.

If CP is looking at changing how we play and wants to go from back to front quicker then we need a different (not necessarily better) lead striker.

mind you as I only saw us win twice last season my views on the team may well be different to those that are at the home of football (no onions) every other week

To be fair due to my location I only really tend to get to away games and northern ones at that which probably haven't been overly representative of the sides overall performance, (although looking at our away form last season it could be argued that this is the area that we need to improve upon), Whilst I appreciated his movement and effort not a lot really seemed to come off and there was a distinct lack of end product whilst constantly nagging the ref.

If CP is looking at changing how we play and wants to go from back to front quicker then we need a different (not necessarily better) lead striker.

mind you as I only saw us win twice last season my views on the team may well be different to those that are at the home of football (no onions) every other week

I have seen every game on IFollow and Cox's performances are consistent throughout, in that he sees a lot of the ball, seldom makes good use of it, misses too many chances, is always moaning at the referee and if he stays, he will be a real obstacle to the way I think Powell wants the team to play. A classic example of a perceived big name player, who when it comes down to it has consistently failed to deliver. The career stats don't lie.

I have seen every game on IFollow and Cox's performances are consistent throughout, in that he sees a lot of the ball, seldom makes good use of it, misses too many chances, is always moaning at the referee and if he stays, he will be a real obstacle to the way I think Powell wants the team to play. A classic example of a perceived big name player, who when it comes down to it has consistently failed to deliver. The career stats don't lie.

Looks like you have seen every game but watched none of them!

With these comments in mind I can't believe you have been watching games. Cox barely gives the ball away and chooses good options to build up play. If anything he needs to be more selfish to get more chances instead of dropping deep. One of his faults is actually getting into the right areas to get chances.

If he was the player who you claimed CP wouldn't of been playing him.

With these comments in mind I can't believe you have been watching games. Cox barely gives the ball away and chooses good options to build up play. If anything he needs to be more selfish to get more chances instead of dropping deep. One of his faults is actually getting into the right areas to get chances.

If he was the player who you claimed CP wouldn't of been playing him.

Didn't have much option did he? He will however have formed a very good insight into Cox's value to the team or not. 3 goals in 18 appearances is hardly what you are entitled to expect from your main striker.

Simon Cox is one of our best players without a doubt in my opinion. However luckily the decision will be made by someone other than us. If Cox goes just leaving us with Theo then SCP must have some great signings lined up- finding one decent striker is tough, two very tough, but leaving yourself looking for three or four when every club is looking for the same thing..

Back