• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kyprianou
White
Ferdinand
Turner
Kiernan

Is that all?

Don't think 1 more would hurt.

Ferdinand is transfer listed so if he did leave we would defo need another. And then we just need to wait and see whether Rob Kiernan makes a full recovery and becomes a first team regular.

Don't think we need another CB. Got 5 already.

One of which is on the transfer list, another is constantly injured and two of those are respectfully coming towards the end of their careers. I’d very much welcome Dorian back, him and Turner (when fit) would be a class league one centre back paring.

A lot of Dervite love but has anyone seen him play regularly since he left us on loan years ago?

At 29 he’s not young, his wages would likely be pretty big to drop a division, and he hasn’t been regular first choice since 2014/15. If he hadn’t been here on loan (and been superb) as a youngster, he’d sound very much like a slight downgrade and slightly younger version of the Turner, Ferdinand, etc. style signings which people seem so desperate to avoid.

A lot of Dervite love but has anyone seen him play regularly since he left us on loan years ago?

At 29 he’s not young, his wages would likely be pretty big to drop a division, and he hasn’t been regular first choice since 2014/15. If he hadn’t been here on loan (and been superb) as a youngster, he’d sound very much like a slight downgrade and slightly younger version of the Turner, Ferdinand, etc. style signings which people seem so desperate to avoid.

I did wonder this myself. As excited as I would be, the last time I saw him play (that I can remember) was his loan spell with us all those years ago. I was over the moon the second time we signed Barnard but we all know how that turned out. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has seen him play recently.

I did wonder this myself. As excited as I would be, the last time I saw him play (that I can remember) was his loan spell with us all those years ago. I was over the moon the second time we signed Barnard but we all know how that turned out. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has seen him play recently.

He played against us last season and looked pretty solid.

TheFLZone on twitter (usually a pretty reliable account) reporting that we have made an offer for Lyle Taylor from Wimbledon

TheFLZone on twitter (usually a pretty reliable account) reporting that we have made an offer for Lyle Taylor from Wimbledon

Probably nicked from the South London Press, which is even more reliable so looks like this one is true. Doubt he'll settle for choosing between offers from us and Wimbledon though, he'll take his time and wait for a bigger club.

He's clearly not rushed, looks like he'll only sign for us if there is no better offer (how many times has that happened? :smile:) Hope CP has a plan (player) B in mind if he opts to go elsewhere and also to apply a little pressure on him. Mind you, I'm not quite sure how worried a player would be by the fear of not puting on a Southend shirt! :winking:

Could be the second Montserrat international to play for the blues, I wonder what he's like in goal?

Its not about my word Barry, Its my own observations. No one from the directors side or management has ever said to me its club policy not to sign non league. If a player like Coker comes for a trial or a Lenny or Kyp who have been released but impress after a training/games with us then of course its good we sign them.

What we haven't done is look to spend money on non league players. In fact we have rarely spent money on strikers through out our history. What's our top 3 fees for strikers ?

No point in getting upset with me or 'shooting the messenger' so to speak. I'm only pointing out that judging by the last 10 years and our previous 100 years before that, then we are highly unlikely to be signing a non league striker for £250,000 plus the same again depending on games. You may like that idea but it ain't going to happen. Sorry if that's to harsh for you and others to deal with but that's where we are and those are the facts.
why do people keep on about

Re Lyle Taylor- would be a great signing.
He would want to say down south but we are very good at wasting a bunch of time and watching targets disappear.
Of course his agent will say wait and see.
If we want him we need to go in with a very attractive package- salary, min 3 year contract and say look, we want you and here a very attractive offering but we are doing our business early. if you want to gamble on something even more attractive coming along then fine but we are not a backstop.
If we just go in with something that they are certain to beat from another southern L1 club at least then we know what the market for decent forwards is like and he has nothing to lose. These are the realities and why we normally get the end of window left overs.
At least he is on a free.

Re Lyle Taylor- would be a great signing.
He would want to say down south but we are very good at wasting a bunch of time and watching targets disappear.
Of course his agent will say wait and see.
If we want him we need to go in with a very attractive package- salary, min 3 year contract and say look, we want you and here a very attractive offering but we are doing our business early. if you want to gamble on something even more attractive coming along then fine but we are not a backstop.
If we just go in with something that they are certain to beat from another southern L1 club at least then we know what the market for decent forwards is like and he has nothing to lose. These are the realities and why we normally get the end of window left overs.
At least he is on a free.

We have already offered him a contract. Not that he will be signing anything just yet. Will want to give himself the best chance of a bigger club coming in. I understand he has also spoken to Bradford who will be able to offer him a lot more.

Sometimes the delays are beyond our control.

We have already offered him a contract. Not that he will be signing anything just yet. Will want to give himself the best chance of a bigger club coming in. I understand he has also spoken to Bradford who will be able to offer him a lot more.

Sometimes the delays are beyond our control.

Agree but if he is going to wait if necessary until July for the best offer then we are best simply moving on- force a decision but with a good sensible offer behind it is our best chance. TBH I think this is SCP way and how he gets it done early.

Back