• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Didn't have much option did he? He will however have formed a very good insight into Cox's value to the team or not. 3 goals in 18 appearances is hardly what you are entitled to expect from your main striker.

He could of easily picked 1 or 2 different players upfront Fortune, Theo, Ladapo, Harrison, Ba, Wabo.

Not denying Cox didn't score enough last season. Did he score enough the season before for you?

He could of easily picked 1 or 2 different players upfront Fortune, Theo, Ladapo, Harrison, Ba, Wabo.

Not denying Cox didn't score enough last season. Did he score enough the season before for you?

Just about adequate for a main striker but the first time since 2009 that he reached double figures, which rather proves my point.

SCP must know what he is doing. We can all revisit this in 6 weeks to see who we have

This is my view and I like Simon Cox as a player. If he is let go, it will be for the good of the style of football that SCP wants. He will almost definitely be replaced by a more prolific goalscorer as well. We are clearly going for a younger team and squad in general, but of course some old, experienced players will still rightly get in the team. I think we should put our faith in SCP, and let him get on with the rebuilding of the squad. He did it at Charlton and their fans were up in arms about some of the players he let go. But the new season and new players saw Charlton win the Division One title with a record 101 points. So he knows what he's doing. Things went pear shaped when a Belgium businessman called Roland Duchâtelet bought Charlton in 2014. Duchâtelet was telling SCP what tactics and what players to pick in emails. SCP refused and was sacked. Duchâtelet had already brought in useless players from other clubs he owned. Luckily, that sort of hindrance by our Chairman isn't going to happen. So I think the rebuilding is for the best, and we should back him all the way.

Didn't have much option did he? He will however have formed a very good insight into Cox's value to the team or not. 3 goals in 18 appearances is hardly what you are entitled to expect from your main striker.

If you can't look beyond that and see what else he brings to the table then you have no hope. He and Kightly are the only 2 players who I can trust to move and pass intelligently in the opposition half and, thus, to keep our attacking moves motoring along. They are both pivotal to our build-up play because they are both so intelligent with the ball.

Go back and look some of our goals that he neither scored nor got an official assist for. You will see him heavily involved in the build-up play for them in some form, making passes and runs, retaining possession in a way that barely any of his teammates have the outright ability to do - I'd wager that we would have scored much fewer goals without him in the team.

If you can't look beyond that and see what else he brings to the table then you have no hope. He and Kightly are the only 2 players who I can trust to move and pass intelligently in the opposition half and, thus, to keep our attacking moves motoring along. They are both pivotal to our build-up play because they are both so intelligent with the ball.

Go back and look some of our goals that he neither scored nor got an official assist for. You will see him heavily involved in the build-up play for them in some form, making passes and runs, retaining possession in a way that barely any of his teammates have the outright ability to do - I'd wager that we would have scored much fewer goals without him in the team.

Having watched the Blues since 1960 I have a long memory of all the strikers we have had in that period and Cox would not get in my top ten. Yes, he does get involved in early build up play but that is not necessarily a good thing, as he is then having to make up ground to get on the end of the final ball. Too much revolves around him, we need more fluidity, pace and the killer touch in front of goal.

SCP must know what he is doing. We can all revisit this in 6 weeks to see who we have
maybe he is thinking of giving wabo a great chance to get into the starting line up, bit to much on his shoulders if you ask me, will still need another forward tho:unsure:

Harry Pritchard, the lad the Maidenhead fans thought was better than Barratt has signed for Blackpool. We will get to see who does the best and if we got the better signing.

Must be time for a poll, how long does Ron give CP to "build a team" and what level of expectation should he deliver on league position, by lets say January transfer window. The jury is out it seems with a lot of contrasting opinions on some of those that have been let go and others who may or not have been playing to their full potential.

By January it will as most CP fans have said be his team not some has been's from the days of PB

Must be time for a poll, how long does Ron give CP to "build a team" and what level of expectation should he deliver on league position, by lets say January transfer window. The jury is out it seems with a lot of contrasting opinions on some of those that have been let go and others who may or not have been playing to their full potential.

By January it will as most CP fans have said be his team not some has been's from the days of PB
surely you don’t expect instant success? Atleast 2 seasons before we judge imo

Oh the joy of the close season and the ability of Zoners to violently agree and disagree about the ability of a current Southend player in the midst of the summer transfer thread. If Mr Cox does not re-sign for us, I will be disappointed as he has given me very happy viewing pleasure over the last two seasons. But if he goes it will be because Mr Powell wants to bring in someone younger. Of course, Cox may surprise some on here and re-sign and if he does it will mean that the manager believes he will add something to the side in it's new style. Only time will tell, but sadly time is not something that we, as posting Zoners, allow too much of. To say we are impatient is an understatement. Hopefully he will be here come August and Turner will have signed up for another season, if not, well we can speculate, castigate and generally echange our opinions on things that haven't happened, but if they did, this what we should do.

Don't you just love this period of enforced football inactivity? I'm hopeful of a good England performance and them getting out of the group in style. I'm also hopeful of well behaved England supporters mingling sociably with their Russian counterparts. With luck we may see some England young diamonds that would fancy a season or two with the Blues and Chris Powell.

Now, back to the summer transfer thread, and we haven't even got to Oxley and his intentions.

Having watched every game on iFollow last season I view Cox as a hugely overrated, underachieving big name who we would be better off without. He doesn't score enough goals, creates few assists but sees too much of the ball without achieving much, to the detriment of other teammates.I hope he goes, his staying will only result in stagnation where we need fresh impetus.

Sorry I can't agree with you here,except about SC's lack of goals.Like you, I watched practically all our games on ifollow last season -apart from a couple of matches I saw live at RH.Also like you (in a later post) I've been watching us since about 1960.Granted Simon Cox is no Billy Best but he is an intelligent and hard working player who's a joy to watch at our level.He'd certainly make my top ten strikers too (just)!

Just about adequate for a main striker but the first time since 2009 that he reached double figures, which rather proves my point.

And what level was he playing at between 2009 and signing for us? You really think comparing scoring records in the premiership and championship is comparable to league 1! Wow

Sorry I can't agree with you here,except about SC's lack of goals.Like you, I watched practically all our games on ifollow last season -apart from a couple of matches I saw live at RH.Also like you (in a later post) I've been watching us since about 1960.Granted Simon Cox is no Billy Best but he is an intelligent and hard working player who's a joy to watch at our level.He'd certainly make my top ten strikers too (just)!
Roy Hollis
Bobby Gilfillan
Eddie Firmani
Billy Best
Bill Garner
Chris Guthrie
Stuart Brace
Keith Mercer
Derek Spence
Steve Phillips
Richard Cadette
David Crown
Ian Benjamin
Brett Angell
Stan Collymore
Freddie Eastwood
Lee Barnard

Simon's OK but for a striker he isn't in the box enough.

A quick trawl of the memory suggests that you may be wrong about him being in your top ten..........

Roy Hollis
Bobby Gilfillan
Eddie Firmani
Billy Best
Bill Garner
Chris Guthrie
Stuart Brace
Keith Mercer
Derek Spence
Steve Phillips
Richard Cadette
David Crown
Ian Benjamin
Brett Angell
Stan Collymore
Freddie Eastwood
Lee Barnard

Simon's OK but for a striker he isn't in the box enough.

A quick trawl of the memory suggests that you may be wrong about him being in your top ten..........

Ha!Can't say I remember seeing Roy Hollis or Bobby Gilfillan play,thought I'd certainly rank the other strikers you mention above SC.

Back