• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I’m surprised that more people aren’t concerned by the fact that we still only have 2 central midfielders including Mantom, especially with Dru being so young and Mantom not having the best injury record.

Getting at least two more in there has to be the priority, rather than central defenders in case Ferdinand goes and Kiernan doesn’t come back and still having three other options there.

Having let Timlin, Wordsworth and Wright go it will take some decent signings to improve on that. Plenty of time left but I have been surprised how many defenders, strikers, etc. we have been linked with compared to only Mantom and Hyam in midfield. Wonder whether that has partly been to pressure Cox into signing a new deal.

Wordsworth would not want to drop to L2 and like Timlin will want to stay in the general area if he can as very settled.
McGlashan at L2 level is a good signing- works hard, loads of pace. Issue is end product and finishing- but if he had that he probably wouldn't be in L2 (or possibly L1 for that matter).

Well Swindon have made an offer for Wordsworth and apparently Cox as well, whether both or either would drop to our level we will see.

Well Swindon have made an offer for Wordsworth and apparently Cox as well, whether both or either would drop to our level we will see.
Would be astonished if Wordsworth dropped to League 2, he’ll find a League One club easily and I’d be surprised to see him go west given almost his whole career has been in the south east.

Cox won’t at all. Emotional factor maybe but his wages are supposedly part of why he hasn’t renewed here yet, he’s settled in the area and he had a falling out with Brown before he left so can’t imagine he’d be desperate for a reunion.

id love to see what the offers were, as much as Swindon and PB would like them at the club, could they afford them? Would they drop down another league? They can't be great offers on the table, maybe big bonuses or promotion bonuses or I can't see them going to Swindon.

Would be astonished if Wordsworth dropped to League 2, he’ll find a League One club easily and I’d be surprised to see him go west given almost his whole career has been in the south east.

Cox won’t at all. Emotional factor maybe but his wages are supposedly part of why he hasn’t renewed here yet, he’s settled in the area and he had a falling out with Brown before he left so can’t imagine he’d be desperate for a reunion.

Perhaps Brown sent Wordy a text to say 'Call Me'. Brown may have said to his back room team if 'We close our eyes' Wordy may just turn up and sign or is Brown just the 'King of Wishful Thinking'

Its all transfer talk anyway, there could be little in it at all but being ex PB players there will obviously be inevitable the link whenever you release players.

Add to that the interview with PB a few weeks ago in which he said he would rather sign players that he has worked with before at various clubs and you can see where the rumours are from.

Our owner Lee Power is known to add lots of clauses into his contracts so any bonus would be paid based on performance, we are said to have the 3rd highest budget in L2 this season after Mansfield and MKD so who knows.

Also a lot of Town fans think Cox has a lot of unfinished business with us and would love him back, he has a bit of a cult reputation with Swindon fans after his 2 very successful season with us.

Its all transfer talk anyway, there could be little in it at all but being ex PB players there will obviously be inevitable the link whenever you release players.

Add to that the interview with PB a few weeks ago in which he said he would rather sign players that he has worked with before at various clubs and you can see where the rumours are from.

Our owner Lee Power is known to add lots of clauses into his contracts so any bonus would be paid based on performance, we are said to have the 3rd highest budget in L2 this season after Mansfield and MKD so who knows.

Also a lot of Town fans think Cox has a lot of unfinished business with us and would love him back, he has a bit of a cult reputation with Swindon fans after his 2 very successful season with us.

I’m not claiming to know this 100% but I was told yesterday by someone who by all accounts is friends with Coxy and recently watched the England vs Tunisia game with him that he is said to be signing a new deal this week.

Makes sense for Cox to go back to Swindon where he enjoyed two very successful seasons adecafe ago and where he may rekindle the lost art of goal scoring, enabling Southend to move on to a more progressive style of forward play which Powell clearly espouses.

Makes sense for Cox to go back to Swindon where he enjoyed two very successful seasons adecafe ago and where he may rekindle the lost art of goal scoring, enabling Southend to move on to a more progressive style of forward play which Powell clearly espouses.

It doesn't make any sense at all. We are all entitled to our opinions but I just can't agree with yours I'm afraid. Hopefully he will re-sign next week and then the debate will be over.

both players are free agents so who did they make an offer to?. Cox won't be going to Swindon

It makes sense that you don't watch southed games and only refer to stats to suit your point over and over again zzzzzzz

Here we go again ,not to worry Blues EXile ,there are people on here that clearly hate it when a person who is unable
to go see the team he loves play for one reason or another putting posts in shrimperzone.

Very pleased we've signed Mantom, he's a definate upgrade on Wright IMO, though I'd have liked Timlin to stay as another option. Agree with others that we need 2 more CM's, though with Dru/Mantom presumably being first choice I'd guess we'll be looking primarily at young prospects or perhaps a loanee.

Other than that I think we need one more striker (maybe 2 if Cox doesn't sign), and ideally another wide midfield player. I'm pleased with the signings made so far, we're not looking far off having a very good squad for next season.

Here we go again ,not to worry Blues EXile ,there are people on here that clearly hate it when a person who is unable
to go see the team he loves play for one reason or another putting posts in shrimperzone.

So you don't want Cox to stay either then?

I probably saw more Southend games than 95% of the people that post on here thanks to the TV

I hadn't realised that the summer transfer thread would generate so much interest regarding televised games or the future of an existing 'marmite' player. Just goes to show what I know, or don't know.:smiles:

Watched every single game last season on iFollow as a matter of fact.

So no chance of judging a player properly then. You only spend about one minute on the ball in game of football. It's the other 89 minutes off the ball that count.

So no chance of judging a player properly then. You only spend about one minute on the ball in game of football. It's the other 89 minutes off the ball that count.

That it is a great observation, and in the case of Simon Cox a particularly important one given his work off the ball and his ability to make space for others. Cox strikes me as a really intelligent player who thinks a great deal about the game.

My hunch is that if he resigns for Southend he could have his most prolific season yet in a Blues shirt under the guidance of Chris Powell.

Many people, at the game, miss what goes on off the ball because they are following the play. Televised games are not a substitute for the 'real thing' but they are the next best thing. Indeed, some camera angles, give the television viewer a better idea of what happened.

Back