Likes Likes:  550
Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1217

Thread: 2018 summer transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by jarvisyeh View Post
    Where have they got this information from? I’ve not seen anything from either Scunthorpe or Southend to suggest it is happening, only an article a few weeks back saying we were interested.

What sort of player is he? Can’t say I know much about him as a footballer.
    I suspect Danny Cowley has told the Lincs reporter that he is set to join us. I know Cowley spoke to Hopper during the January window and again he reiterated his desire to remain in league 1.
    He's a good age (24) and has apparently grown up a lot in the last 3 years. He's hard working but just needs to add a few more goals to his game.

If he is set to join us you would think he would have to had a discussion with Sam Mantom re. what he thinks? what its like? the manager?

Maybe means there is a real chance of getting Sam back as well- not sure how well they get on but the better they do perhaps more likely.

Only three friendlies at the moment- given current player numbers thats probably a stretch without a few trialists. But a couple of weeks to go. Forget getting things done early this feels like groundhog day to me.

However, I do trust the SCP will eventually get players in that will improve us.

It's now thursday and still no signings

Quote Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
    It's now thursday and still no signings
    Correct on both counts.... Well done you

Looks like Tom Hopper will be done next week. From their forum...
    he has got potential, some fans here didn’t like him but I thought he was OK, not prolific in scoring but he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards, I was surprised he was released, to be honest.

he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards,He certainly is a grafter and will do the above – assuming you play with more than one up top. Bit lightweight to be a target man and some of his best performances were as a last 20 minutes sub. Always engaged with the fans and will not let you down. Change of club and/or system may just be what he needs – he goes with my best wishes anyway and I’m sure many more of our fans think the same.

As above, does the dirty work up top but isn’t a 20 goal a season man. good striker to get on a free with age on his side! Deal to be completed this week.

If you want a forward who only scores 3 home goals over two years, barely ever assists, is slow in making a decision to pass and has minimal ability in holding up a ball then Hopper’s your man.

You have got a very good player. As almost all say he will give you everything, never quits and chases defenders down. Too many times here asked to do a job that sacrificed him, use him as an actual striker and allowed to go at goal he will score you goals. Hope you get behind him because some of our supporters will realise what we have lost with his release and if we fail to replace.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

I tend to think this will be a good signing- right age with training/development at a higher level, good L1 experience. Leaves us needing one more striker (assuming Cox stays) and as others have said surely, surely it will be someone who can head a ball.

SCP likes playing with two wide men, likes the ball worked down the channels/wings and plenty of balls in the box. Great strategy if...yes this is why surely the plus one will be someone who can head a football.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentblues View Post
    I tend to think this will be a good signing- right age with training/development at a higher level, good L1 experience. Leaves us needing one more striker (assuming Cox stays) and as others have said surely, surely it will be someone who can head a ball.

SCP likes playing with two wide men, likes the ball worked down the channels/wings and plenty of balls in the box. Great strategy if...yes this is why surely the plus one will be someone who can head a football.
    Me, me, I can head a ball and I'm available now. I'll be waiting for CP's call.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Napster View Post
    Looks like Tom Hopper will be done next week. From their forum...
    he has got potential, some fans here didn’t like him but I thought he was OK, not prolific in scoring but he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards, I was surprised he was released, to be honest.

he puts a shift in and will help your other forwards,He certainly is a grafter and will do the above – assuming you play with more than one up top. Bit lightweight to be a target man and some of his best performances were as a last 20 minutes sub. Always engaged with the fans and will not let you down. Change of club and/or system may just be what he needs – he goes with my best wishes anyway and I’m sure many more of our fans think the same.

As above, does the dirty work up top but isn’t a 20 goal a season man. good striker to get on a free with age on his side! Deal to be completed this week.

If you want a forward who only scores 3 home goals over two years, barely ever assists, is slow in making a decision to pass and has minimal ability in holding up a ball then Hopper’s your man.

You have got a very good player. As almost all say he will give you everything, never quits and chases defenders down. Too many times here asked to do a job that sacrificed him, use him as an actual striker and allowed to go at goal he will score you goals. Hope you get behind him because some of our supporters will realise what we have lost with his release and if we fail to replace.
    Sounds like a MAF type of player then, maybe not as fast but happy to do the dirty work and chip in wherever possible
    Twitter - @LennySUFC

More on Hooper

No good in the air.
    Never wins a header.
    On the odd times he does it is never to a teammate.
    Dont expect him to score lots of goals.
    Does try , but you could have done better.

Good enough to play second fiddle to a decent striker or, a decent squad player to bring off the bench for an average League One club. Not good enough to be the main striker or for any club who is serious about promotion.

He’s a worker. 100% out of him every game but he’s just not very good as hard as he tries.

Daz has it pretty much spot on.Would probably have done better going to a L2 outfit and start banging a few goals in to rekindle his game.

But as others have said, new club, new start may be all he needs, just keep him away from those Essex girls!

Or Thai restaurants.

As many have said, hard worker but doesn’t score enough. Could benefit from coaching by prolific goalscorers. See his two headers against Wigan. How to get him to replicate that week in week out? Could be a big season for him.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

A forward who doesn't score. Match made in heaven for us!
    Remembering the scandal of "Stickersgate"

20 goals in 78 starts for a young forward who was in and out of the Scunny team doesn’t look as though he ‘doesn’t score’ to me
    Kennington Shrimpers

Quote Originally Posted by LennySUFC View Post
    Sounds like a MAF type of player then, maybe not as fast but happy to do the dirty work and chip in wherever possible
    I think I'd have stuck with MAF

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    20 goals in 78 starts for a young forward who was in and out of the Scunny team doesn’t look as though he ‘doesn’t score’ to me
    Cox has a similar record for us as well, no issue there for me

Just checked and his record overall for Scunny is 1 in 5 which whilst not great, if he's seen more as a grafter / target, again I have no issue with that

Quote Originally Posted by FarmdogSUFC View Post
    Cox has a similar record for us as well, no issue there for me

Just checked and his record overall for Scunny is 1 in 5 which whilst not great, if he's seen more as a grafter / target, again I have no issue with that
    A "Grafter" who will nab 10ish in a season is perfect if we have someone next to him who is more of a goal threat.

No issue with this signing if true
    Twitter - @LennySUFC

Quote Originally Posted by davewebbsbrain View Post
    I think I'd have stuck with MAF
    MAF was good in a limited role only. He completed 90 minutes only twice since Christmas. On neither occasion did he start the following match.

Hopper can play a far bigger role which allow us consistency.
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable