• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dick Bate

I know that I have knocked the guy in the past , but I still find it hard to find people in the game still speak so highly of him .RIP .

I lived through the Dick Bate era but the bottom line is (regardless of what Bill Shankly thought) football is ultimately just a game whereas Dick Bate was someone's husband, someone's father. Give him a minute's silence/applause before the Bristol Rovers game. Assuming, of course, he actually has died.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/2018/april/dick-bate-1946---2018/

RIP Dick Bate (former Southend United Manager)

From the OS website in 2007 History Former Managers.

Southend United OS said:
Dick Bate

1987-1987

An average player, primarily with Boston United, Dick Bate was a highly qualified coach employed by Notts County when Vic Jobson, without consultation with fellow board members, appointed him as Southend manager in June 1987. His ten game spell in charge saw only one win in the League Cup and some heavy defeats in the League saw him dismissed with the worst record of any Southend manager in history. Has subsequently been coach of Hereford United, Lincoln City, the national teams of Malaysia and Burkina Faso, youth coach at Leeds United and the England under 19 manager.

I was always taught never to speak ill of the dead.

However, We know he wasn't the greatest manager for our club, but that means nothing in the big scheme of things........I'm told he was a decent Person / Husband / Father etc.

And that means a lot more than a win / lose ratio in a football match ranking.

Rest in Peace

X

Sad news !

I knew a couple of people who worked with him in the England youth set up, said he was a really nice fella and also a great coach at youth level. That’s what he should be remembered for.

Minutes applause should definitely happen v Brovers

RIP Dicky

Death has been announced. I suggest a minutes applause in the 8th minute in memory of his stewardship of that Gills match.

I think it should happen in the 33rd minute which would represent the number of goals that we conceded in his tenure. Or the 14th as a celebration of the number of goals that we scored.

I was at the Gillingham, Notts County and Port Vale games and saw us concede 8, 6 & 4 respectively....

I was also present at the the first game of Paul Clark's return. A 1-0 win over Derby.

RIP... He was part of our history... Albeit for the wrong reasons...

UTB!

I think it should happen in the 33rd minute which would represent the number of goals that we conceded in his tenure. Or the 14th as a celebration of the number of goals that we scored.

I was at the Gillingham, Notts County and Port Vale games and saw us concede 8, 6 & 4 respectively....

I was also present at the the first game of Paul Clark's return. A 1-0 win over Derby.

RIP... He was part of our history... Albeit for the wrong reasons...

UTB!

I too was there on those delightful Saturday afternoons; and Monday evening in the case of Port Vale.

As someone has now posted that Mr Bate is dead in Ex Shrimpers, I think it is now time for this thread to join it over there.
RIP Dick, always a favourite at Roots Hall.

Irrespective of his managerial accomplishments, or lack of, not an old age at which to end his days. Remember being at the press conference when he was revealed by the club as the new manager, got the impression speaking with him at the time that he was surprised to have got the job. RIP, Dick.

Back