• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Division One - The Toughest League Of The Four?

mattitouk

Life President
I was just reading through some of Chris Phillips tweets tonight, and one got me thinking if Division One is the toughest to maintain, what with budgets, and being the only league where 3 teams are going up and yet 4 going down.. surely to an extent, the margins of success and failure are tighter than the other leagues in the EFL.

The tweet in question, that got me thinking about this, was this one:

"Sunderland are a shambles but so are the Premier League’s parachute payments. They will be crash landing in League One with £34m hitting their bank account this summer. Accrington and Wycombe’s playing budgets touch £1m a season".

My point being, that having a £34 million head start on a wage bill or money to spend in the transfer market over other established league one sides (not to mention teams coming up from Division 2) does put us all at a massive disadvantage, and almost turn it into a "free for all" for the other teams in the division, in the hope we might get lucky and bag the last play off place.

Then i looked at our current league table and realised that is is completely possible that all the three teams (Wigan, Blackburn & Rotherham) that were relegated last season from the Championship will go straight back up again this season. (Wigan & Blackburn definitely will)!!.

Here's a screen shot for comparison...

For example, Just one player (Jack Rodwell) gets payed £3 million and 640 thousand pounds a year from Sunderland!....
Not that i'm jealous, but £70K a week isn't a bad wage considering he has only made 84 minutes of Championship football this season. :smile:

Yet the whole entire years wage bill for all the players in Acrrington's squad is just £780,000.

Db9scnnX4AA5ByZ.jpg:large

I guess my question is, has the gulf between the Championship and League One been any wider in your opinion??

Last edited:
A few more seasons of the “smaller “ promoted teams dropping back down within a couple of seasons and the bouncing straight back of the larger clubs could well lead the the resurrection of the premier div 2 idea with promotion from the current league one being scrapped.
Personally I feel that parachute payments should be be scrapped if the team gets relegated again. Ideally the parachute money should be spread amongst all the three EFL divisions , along with a greater proportion of the tv money, but that’s not going to happen.
Whilst Wigan have go straight back, they didn’t last long in the championship last time...

Sunderland will romp this division next year , especially now the sale is going through with the old owner writing off the debt.
They will easily be able to put a half decent championship side together on their income , plus the sizeable parachute payment, without any debt to service.

I was just reading through some of Chris Phillips tweets tonight, and one got me thinking if Division One is the toughest to maintain, what with budgets, and being the only league where 3 teams are going up and yet 4 going down.. surely to an extent, the margins of success and failure are tighter than the other leagues in the EFL.

The tweet in question, that got me thinking about this, was this one:

"[FONT=&]Sunderland are a shambles but so are the Premier League’s parachute payments. They will be crash landing in League One with £34m hitting their bank account this summer. Accrington and Wycombe’s playing budgets touch £1m a season".
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]
[/FONT]
My point being, that having a £34 million head start on a wage bill or money to spend in the transfer market over other established league one sides (not to mention teams coming up from Division 2) does put us all at a massive disadvantage, and almost turn it into a "free for all" for the other teams in the division, in the hope we might get lucky and bag the last play off place.

Then i looked at our current league table and realised that is is completely possible that all the three teams (Wigan, Blackburn & Rotherham) that were relegated last season from the Championship will go straight back up again this season. (Wigan & Blackburn definitely will)!!.

Here's a screen shot for comparison...

For example, Just one player (Jack Rodwell) gets payed £3 million and 640 thousand pounds a year from Sunderland!....
Not that i'm jealous, but £70K a week isn't a bad wage considering he has only made 84 minutes of Championship football this season. :smile:

Yet the whole entire years wage bill for all the players in Acrrington's squad is just £780,000.

Db9scnnX4AA5ByZ.jpg:large

I guess my question is, has the gulf between the Championship and League One been any wider in your opinion??
I read that Rodwells contract did not have the regular relegation clause which meant he stayed on prem money when they dropped , Next season the 40% reduction does kink in though so he will be on 44k per week in a division where the average is 2 ..

A few more seasons of the “smaller “ promoted teams dropping back down within a couple of seasons and the bouncing straight back of the larger clubs could well lead the the resurrection of the premier div 2 idea with promotion from the current league one being scrapped.
Personally I feel that parachute payments should be be scrapped if the team gets relegated again. Ideally the parachute money should be spread amongst all the three EFL divisions , along with a greater proportion of the tv money, but that’s not going to happen.
Whilst Wigan have go straight back, they didn’t last long in the championship last time...

Sunderland will romp this division next year , especially now the sale is going through with the old owner writing off the debt.
They will easily be able to put a half decent championship side together on their income , plus the sizeable parachute payment, without any debt to service.

If we went to 5 divisions of 20 teams (8 extra from the conference) then allegedly they would give us more TV money. Would make L1 (3rd division) stronger and the jump to Championship a little easier.

Parachute payments are a joke. Its a club’s decision which players they buy / sign and the wages and length of contracts they give them so if the end result is failure and relegation the club should have to resolve matters, not be handed 3 years worth of payments. That money gives them an unfair advantage over the other clubs in the league into they are are relegated.

Sunderland will get £35m for next season and are due another £14m the season following (2019/20)....farcical!!

Parachute payments are a reward for failure .. the difference in money between the leagues is also a disgrace..
I get that Man U, Liverpool etc generate the prem loot.. but maybe it’s time to properly let each club do its own thing
Have their own tv channel .. stream their own games, or even eff off to their own euro super league ..
Get shot of the so called top 6 or whatever and get back to a domestic competition where the financial differences aren’t so stark.
Look at Scottish footy. That’s interesting. Zzzzzzz

Back