Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roma 'penalty'

Default Roma 'penalty'

I didn't watch the match but Graham Poll is quoted in today's DM that Roma were denied a clear penalty when the Liverpool player handled in the box. I'm not querying whether it was a penalty - except to say I still think some referees haven't a clue about 'intent' - but he then goes on to say the defender only received a yellow card because it appeared the ball was going over the bar. What on earth did he mean? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 and all that View Post
    I didn't watch the match but Graham Poll is quoted in today's DM that Roma were denied a clear penalty when the Liverpool player handled in the box. I'm not querying whether it was a penalty - except to say I still think some referees haven't a clue about 'intent' - but he then goes on to say the defender only received a yellow card because it appeared the ball was going over the bar. What on earth did he mean? Am I missing something?
    I’m guessing they meant he would only have been given a yellow as the original shot was going over when it hit his hand. At such short range it would have been harsh but you see them given.

Italians are kicking up a big fuss demanding VAR but worth pointing out that they had a penalty for handball in both legs which neither were ever a penalty, on top of a clear penalty they should have conceded for a two handed shove in the back in about the second minute last night.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 and all that View Post
    If it's the incident it think then it was a penalty but Alexander-Arnold was not booked for it.

I see it now. Poll was saying that if the ref had awarded a penalty, it should only have been a yellow card. I'll go back to sleep.

Have just seen the Roma penalty at the end. I rest my case about intent.

Quote Originally Posted by lordlumpington View Post
    If it's the incident it think then it was a penalty but Alexander-Arnold was not booked for it.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Last edited by Wellens; 11-05-2018 at 03:41 PM.