• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Malcolm Webster

Mick

Life President
..... who kept goal for us just over 100 times in the mid-70s has today retired from football.

He was never our best goalkeeper nor our worst, but he went on to have a very highly regarded career as a goalkeeping coach.

I am sure there is film of him playing for Arsenal v Manchester United that was on The Big Match on You Tube some where .

..... who kept goal for us just over 100 times in the mid-70s has today retired from football.

He was never our best goalkeeper nor our worst, but he went on to have a very highly regarded career as a goalkeeping coach.

I would put him in our bottom 20% - I think he cost us our division 3 status in 1975/76, particularly at Colchester on Easter Saturday when he turned a 1-0 half time lead into a 2-1 defeat - his last game for us.

However, Ron Atkinson took him to Cambridge United where he played for 8 years making over 250 appearances, many in the second division. One of the shorter goalkeepers at 5' 11".

As you say had a great career coaching - apparently when Richard Wright went from Ipswich to Arsenal he wanted to take Webster with him!

Thought he was a decent keeper as well.
When i read the "thread" Malcolm Webster....i thought "oh God another one gone"..but only retired,thank God.
He must be really old now,but still keeping fit.Well done Malcolm

Thought he was a decent keeper as well.
When i read the "thread" Malcolm Webster....i thought "oh God another one gone"..but only retired,thank God.
He must be really old now,but still keeping fit.Well done Malcolm
"Top Man" was Malcolm. In the late seventies when I was working for Bill Garner at his trophy business in Rochford, I got to know Malcolm really well after Bill had left Chelsea and signed for Cambridge United. Malcolm played over 250 games for the U's and was also assistant manager to another ex-Southend player Chris Turner between 1986-1988. Malcolm also ran many successful soccer schools for various clubs in the east of england before becoming Ipswich Town's full time goalkeeping coach a few years ago. (Ozzie, Malcolm Webster is 67 and was born in November 1950).

Back