Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Promotion trophies?

Default Promotion trophies?

This weekend saw the end of yet another exciting football league season and although whilst we already knew who were getting promoted from championship, league one and two it was the weekend that saw those successful teams celebrate their seasons achievements.. with a token trophy! Now, call me old fashioned but for me shouldn’t the winners of those leagues be rewarded with a trophy as you know, they are the champions. When did the EFL start to reward runners up with a trophy as well? Or a dinner plate in Wycombe’s case. Isn’t the fact that getting promoted enough to celebrate? I don’t remember this being a thing last season.

Am I just bring old fashioned or is this a bit over the top from the EFL?
    “It’s Eastwood this time, ohhhh what a GOALLLL... Freddy Eastwood has given Southend United the lead with a goal that any Manchester United player would be proud to score”.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStubbs View Post
    This weekend saw the end of yet another exciting football league season and although whilst we already knew who were getting promoted from championship, league one and two it was the weekend that saw those successful teams celebrate their seasons achievements.. with a token trophy! Now, call me old fashioned but for me shouldn’t the winners of those leagues be rewarded with a trophy as you know, they are the champions. When did the EFL start to reward runners up with a trophy as well? Or a dinner plate in Wycombe’s case. Isn’t the fact that getting promoted enough to celebrate? I don’t remember this being a thing last season.

Not sure when runners up stated getting a trophy, but as the play off winners get a trophy I suppose it's only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Up the Shrimpers View Post
    Not sure when runners up stated getting a trophy, but as the play off winners get a trophy I suppose it's only fair.
    I did think about this but then I thought the playoffs are alsmost a stand-alone knock out tournament so I understand why you’d get a trophy for winning it.
    “It’s Eastwood this time, ohhhh what a GOALLLL... Freddy Eastwood has given Southend United the lead with a goal that any Manchester United player would be proud to score”.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStubbs View Post

It's this "everyone's a winner" mentality, probably bring it in that next season you get one for finishing one place outside the play offs, what a crock...

Quote Originally Posted by SUBBlue View Post
    It's this "everyone's a winner" mentality, probably bring it in that next season you get one for finishing one place outside the play offs, what a crock...
    Totally agree, it’s a daft introduction for me.

To be fair it is no different to Gold, silver and bronze medals. The trophy is going to look better in a club cabinet than a newspaper clipping.