• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not just that, Corr would have been stepping up a level to a division where he had never performed well before in his limited experience there.

Cox has been our top scorer for the last 2 seasons in a row, even though last season he barely got going until Brown left and even then he still offered a lot without the goals flowing.
This is the thing we will find hard to replace if he leaves. His all round play is exceptional and in my honest opinion in terms of ability the best contracted ST we've had since prime Eastwood.

I think it's entirely different argument as Corr had a known injury issues. Coxy seems as fit as a fiddle.

I agree we can't be held to ransom by one player, but at the same time we're going to struggle to find someone as good as him. The rest of our strikeforce are either inconsistant (TR), getting on a bit (MAF) or unproven (Wabo/Ba).

you are correct in respect of the injury spectre that Corr had hanging over him, Cox doesn't have that. We did by all accounts break the bank a little to sign Cox as he was seen as a championship quality striker and big things were expected. I'd guess (I don't know) that Ron doesn't feel like he got his moneys worth. Cox has done well but when you are a marquee player on a marquee wage you are expected to shine well above those players that you are paid twice as much as. I don't think he has done this and can understand if a reduced contract was offered. All I know is the wages he will free up leaves a lot of scope for replacing him and I'd think there is a good chance that replacement will get more goals than Cox did this season.

you are correct in respect of the injury spectre that Corr had hanging over him, Cox doesn't have that. We did by all accounts break the bank a little to sign Cox as he was seen as a championship quality striker and big things were expected. I'd guess (I don't know) that Ron doesn't feel like he got his moneys worth. Cox has done well but when you are a marquee player on a marquee wage you are expected to shine well above those players that you are paid twice as much as. I don't think he has done this and can understand if a reduced contract was offered. All I know is the wages he will free up leaves a lot of scope for replacing him and I'd think there is a good chance that replacement will get more goals than Cox did this season.

And goals are great! I agree Cox has a lot more in his locker than goals and his hold up play definitely helped us through this season when things got tough, however, I think with Yearwood in the middle of our pitch, we won't need a ST who needs to drop and support quite so much, its all about the right balance and I think CP will want to build a solid midfield so that the forwards can do exactly what they are suppose to, get forward and bag goals!

Preparing to don the tinfoil hat, but I think Cox is vastly over rated. He doesn't score enough goals and doesn't contribute many assists. I agree he gets involved in link up play and gets a lot of touches but it seldom comes to anything and his continual yattering to the ref is tiresome. I actually think he is standing in the way of progress if he stays. On the other hand MAF would be a great loss, his contributions are of far greater threat and his lack of goals is more than compensated by his creativity. Will now take cover.

And goals are great! I agree Cox has a lot more in his locker than goals and his hold up play definitely helped us through this season when things got tough, however, I think with Yearwood in the middle of our pitch, we won't need a ST who needs to drop and support quite so much, its all about the right balance and I think CP will want to build a solid midfield so that the forwards can do exactly what they are suppose to, get forward and bag goals!

Couldn't agree more mate

Preparing to don the tinfoil hat, but I think Cox is vastly over rated. He doesn't score enough goals and doesn't contribute many assists. I agree he gets involved in link up play and gets a lot of touches but it seldom comes to anything and his continual yattering to the ref is tiresome. I actually think he is standing in the way of progress if he stays. On the other hand MAF would be a great loss, his contributions are of far greater threat and his lack of goals is more than compensated by his creativity. Will now take cover.

Though MAF is a good player you are unlikely to get 30+ games a season out of him.

Cox may have his faults but players at our level always will. I just think we will find it extremely hard to replace him

The problem is, I would doubt Cox, Turner and MAF are being offered the same as they were on last contract. To keep Oxley we will have to pay more than we can afford.

I know some of you think early is best but Oxley was our POTY Turner and Cox would have made the top 5. So CP really needs to know who is staying as the most important positions in a team are striker, keeper and CB.

Plus if he wants Anton gone. I think it will be unlikely but if its going to happen then lets hope its early because it would free up wages and allow CP to recruit a high end player. I always felt the late signing of Josh Wright was because we had money put aside, thinking Lenny may go to Seffield U. With the window closing earlier At least the management don't have to look over their shoulder for the month of August.

IMO Cox is more important than Oxley. We have an abundant number of young keepers coming through, so will giving Oxley, say, a 3 year contract hold some of those back?

To me, if Oxley does go, you could easily replace him with a reasonably decent loan keeper for the season.

IMO Cox is more important than Oxley. We have an abundant number of young keepers coming through, so will giving Oxley, say, a 3 year contract hold some of those back?

To me, if Oxley does go, you could easily replace him with a reasonably decent loan keeper for the season.

Oxley earned us more points than Cox did last season.

Our obvious problem was our away performances. From Coxes goal at Walsall in October until his goals at Oldham in late April our only goal from a forward was MAF bundling in a rebound of the post at Blackpool. Both cox and MAF are like Wordsworth....Homers.

Shame we never had a number 9 to take advantage of Oxley's excellent kicking. Then you need players who work off the target man. For all his qualities I think we can find a replacement for Cox, easier than a keeper of the level that Oxley finished the season.

Someone like Luke Daniels would do the job, hardly played a game for Brentford because of a certain Ex blues youngster

This is the thing we will find hard to replace if he leaves. His all round play is exceptional and in my honest opinion in terms of ability the best contracted ST we've had since prime Eastwood.

article-2337469-07CEB95E000005DC-153_306x476.jpg

I'd replace both Cox and MAF. Neither can hit a barn door and look to be too pretty too often. MAF certainly runs into all the wrong spaces and that is the reason he rarely gets shots off, Cox yes i like him but again those shooting boots are barely worn out this season. For me, both players work really hard but spend too much time back to goal. Theo on the other hand, you can see he has been coached at a higher level to get into the right placesxat the right time. New blood please.

I'd replace both Cox and MAF. Neither can hit a barn door and look to be too pretty too often. MAF certainly runs into all the wrong spaces and that is the reason he rarely gets shots off, Cox yes i like him but again those shooting boots are barely worn out this season. For me, both players work really hard but spend too much time back to goal. Theo on the other hand, you can see he has been coached at a higher level to get into the right placesxat the right time. New blood please.

Looks like you've got 50% of your wish at least. MAF has gone according to CP

The Echo is reporting this morning that we have made an offer to Mark Oxley which is believed to be the highest wage offered to an FL1 keeper. Oxley's agent has accepted that it's a good offer. Talks continue.

With this 'strong' offer It looks as if Oxley's position will be clarified before too much longer one way or another.

The Echo is reporting this morning that we have made an offer to Mark Oxley which is believed to be the highest wage offered to an FL1 keeper. Oxley's agent has accepted that it's a good offer. Talks continue.

With this 'strong' offer It looks as if Oxley's position will be clarified before too much longer one way or another.

Yes it needs sorting quickly.
i never begrudge players trying to get the best deal for themselves / family , but in this case , if the offer is very good , I hope we put a deadline on it.
the agent will almost certainly use our offer as leverage , but if he’s not going to accept we need to know quickly

It would be interesting to know if we have offered more or less than we did to Bentley when we tried to get him to stay.

As this was mentioned at the AGM along with the info that Oxley is getting married this summer,guess Oxley has alot to think about.Depends if the future Mrs O wants to stay down south.

He hasn't, Cox and MAF have both been coached in the premier league.

Back