• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Defensively we seem to have the numbers and the versatility, but maybe if Anton moves on we can look to add a young aerially dominant centre-half to develop. No mention of Stephen Hendrie. It'll be interesting to see what his future will be - maybe CP can resuscitate his career, like he did with Robinson (I can't see where Hendrie fits in, but then I said that with Theo and look at him now).

Midfield - hopefully Timlin signs a new deal and Mantom may also be another target but even if they both sign up we'd need another central/versatile midfielder unless CP is looking to use Demi there (and give more opportunities to Elvis at RB).

If we're playing McLaughlin and Kightly in the first XI we definitely need another winger on the bench. Unless there's a gem in the u23s I'd be looking to taking a flyer on a young Ryan Hall /Mitchell Cole type from non-league to use off the bench.

Up front - my guess is that despite offering deals to both Cox and Fortune one doesn't sign. I think CP will want to get in a target man and there may not be the budget for both veterans as well.

Exciting times ahead.

Boom!

Sam Barratt would seem to fit that role exactly. I love what we're looking to do here. McGlashan was a good sub but having someone like Barratt is how you build a sustainable squad. Let's hope we can get this over the line and he can develop over the next year so that he can become a starter in 2019/20.:thumbsup:

Why anyone would consider getting rid of Timlin is beyond me - what do you think we're going to replace him with? The only thing is that at his age he'll probably be thinking who will offer him the longest deal - perfectly understandably. For that reason I think we may have seen the last of him - some league 2 / national league side will surely offer him a 2 or 3 year deal?

Have to say I'm in agreement with who CP has released to date - he's freed up vacancies in the squad in exactly the places where we needed to try something new. It's fairly clear as well that he's not completely rejecting Brown's failing squad - simply tweaking it.

Why anyone would consider getting rid of Timlin is beyond me - what do you think we're going to replace him with? The only thing is that at his age he'll probably be thinking who will offer him the longest deal - perfectly understandably. For that reason I think we may have seen the last of him - some league 2 / national league side will surely offer him a 2 or 3 year deal?
Unless we offer him say a deal with a path into coaching which he's said before he's keen on. Doubt he's ready to retire yet or even next summer possibly, but if we can give him an offer which helps him to get his badges and some experience with the chance of a job at the end of it at a club he's settled at then that may be enough.

Timlin and MAF were, imo, playing the best they had all season at the back end of the season AND both had earned their game time.
From May until August, 3/4 months, they will get only a few months older, they will chill, rest and, knowing both of them, get as fit as they can for pre-season.
It isn't like they will be returning five years older, 10 kilos heavier etc so, with these two in particular is age a factor in a 1 year deal?

Timlin and MAF were, imo, playing the best they had all season at the back end of the season AND both had earned their game time.
From May until August, 3/4 months, they will get only a few months older, they will chill, rest and, knowing both of them, get as fit as they can for pre-season.
It isn't like they will be returning five years older, 10 kilos heavier etc so, with these two in particular is age a factor in a 1 year deal?

With MAF i think he's more likely to come back 5 kilos lighter such is his work rate, I really think he is one guy that can both offer a decent option as a player and be a role model to the rest of the team. when I think back to the initial reaction to his signing I think he's proved many many people wrong.

It may be a big shout but I think he'd be harder to replace as a team member than Cox would (not that I want to see Cox go either).

Just briefly on Timlin, I think anyone who watched his partnership with Dru in central midfield must surely see why he has been offered a new deal. He has been excellent

Is it too early to start worrying about the lack of news on the contract fronts?

Unless your name is Michael Ricketts :smile:

What more proof do you need? Simon Cox is having to think about something!
Could it be that he's got other offers?
Could it be that we haven't offered him a kings ransom? (Many fans take exception when we don't throw money around like confetti).
Could it be he's gone for an ice cream and has a choice of 30 flavours?
Martin out! Powell out! Timlin out! (think it's fashionable to say that). I want my club back!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cox and Timlin get offers to go to Swindon (again).
One last payday, three year contracts and the pull to go back to a former club/area is often strong :winking:

Simon Cox is too good for Division 4. And playing again for Brown? I'm sceptical that going to Swindon is an option but stranger things have happened. :unsure:

Simon Cox is too good for Division 4. And playing again for Brown? I'm sceptical that going to Swindon is an option but stranger things have happened. :unsure:

Im sure Cox was one of the senior pros who fell out with Brown towards the end. Be amazed if he goes anywhere near Swindon

Ignoring the Swindon link, but might this not be a one year deal with us plus option, versus a two or three year deal with a club in the league below? You’re 31, you want stability and the wages aren’t that much different, what do you do?

Back