• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As much as I really enjoyed Cox play and appreciated the effort he usually put in. However, he is not irreplaceable and CP is quite right in wanting to reduce the age of the squad. If a Club is prepared to offer a lengthy contract he would be a fool not to consider it. A 3 year deal would mean by the end of his contract he would be nearing 35.

What Ryan Leonard who left after lengthy negotiations to try and make him resign ? That Ryan Leonard ? Yep fully agree with you

A championship club is a more enticing prospect than a League One club offering a fraction of the wages, what exactly would a better negotiator have done differently here? The fact is Leonard was a good player back in 2014 and we still managed to convince him to sign a 3 year deal, the fact he left when that expired because Sheffield United were interested is irrelevant.

As much as I really enjoyed Cox play and appreciated the effort he usually put in. However, he is not irreplaceable and CP is quite right in wanting to reduce the age of the squad. If a Club is prepared to offer a lengthy contract he would be a fool not to consider it. A 3 year deal would mean by the end of his contract he would be nearing 35.

It's all well and good replacing the squad with younger players, but I would be very surprised if we sign someone of Cox's calibre and it will certainly be difficult getting that from a 20 year old at this level!!

Huge loss in my opinion

Im sure Cox was one of the senior pros who fell out with Brown towards the end. Be amazed if he goes anywhere near Swindon

Yes he was. He can't stand Brown and there is no way in this earth Cox will be going to Swindon.

His Twitter is probably wondering what to have for dinner. I think Cokers post is just a bit of naughty banter

While I personally would of liked us to of kept Cox in an ideal world, can he deliver the value of the contract he wanted?

I for one will be very sorry if Cox leaves us. If he goes to a club in the division above then I can't blame him but I will be quite unhappy to see him lining up against us come the new season. :sad:

While I personally would of liked us to of kept Cox in an ideal world, can he deliver the value of the contract he wanted?

But getting the best out of the players is, for me, a large part of the job and responsibility of the manager.

Cox can't just say "I want loads of dosh and a long contract" but equally for the player to deliver on the value of their contract the club needs to get the right group of players in the squad and on the pitch so that they gel and can play to their best ability.

His Twitter is probably wondering what to have for dinner. I think Cokers post is just a bit of naughty banter

This is what I'm hoping. Although some of the speculation is concerning, it doesn't seem completely conclusive. And I wasn't really sure what Coker's response meant. But maybe I'm just in denial.

The problem is, I would doubt Cox, Turner and MAF are being offered the same as they were on last contract. To keep Oxley we will have to pay more than we can afford.

I know some of you think early is best but Oxley was our POTY Turner and Cox would have made the top 5. So CP really needs to know who is staying as the most important positions in a team are striker, keeper and CB.

Plus if he wants Anton gone. I think it will be unlikely but if its going to happen then lets hope its early because it would free up wages and allow CP to recruit a high end player. I always felt the late signing of Josh Wright was because we had money put aside, thinking Lenny may go to Seffield U. With the window closing earlier At least the management don't have to look over their shoulder for the month of August.

A good friend tells me that BC is a ****.This would seem to evidence for that view.FWIW,I really liked Cox.Effort+class.Pity about the lack of goals,though.

I thought Simon Cox scored something like 26 goals in two seasons at Southend, and he has often played without a regular target striker alongside him.

It would be a real shame to lose him because he is clearly such a capable player, and maybe the best is yet to come from him in a Southend shirt.

I think he would thrive next season with Chris Powell as manager.

So Cox has removed anything SUFC related from his bio... hopefully it's a windup but if he goes I think it could be Chris Powell's first mistake as SUFC boss...

So Cox has removed anything SUFC related from his bio... hopefully it's a windup but if he goes I think it could be Chris Powell's first mistake as SUFC boss...

How will it be CP's mistake? If Cox gets a better offer elsewhere then so be it. We have coped before and we'll cope again. The mistake for a club like us would be to overspend on one player to the detriment of the squad.

It would just be like when Corr went to Cambridge. We survived before and we will survive afterwards. It’s a loss but no one is irreplaceable.

A lot depends upon how CP values the youngsters coming through. I dont think he would have let Wordsworth go if he wasnt going to build a team around Yearwood. Basically it didnt work when you played the two of them together , so the older, more expensive player had to go to make room for the younger one with the huge potential. Yearwood looked such a better player when Timlin played alongside him so this could well be our middle next year too.

I know CP really rates Norman Wabo but i dont feel you could play Wabo + Cox in the same team , so probably the package we offered Coxy was not exactly over lucrative. I can see CP blowing his budget on a big strong fast forward , someone in the mould of Marvin Sordell or Ellis Harrison - basically a younger version of Marc Antoine Fortune.
His other strikers would be Theo + Norm + Ba , + maybe giving Fortune another year .

Cox was and still is a quality player who always put in 100% commitment. Shame he lost his goalscoring edge and that extra bit of pace. Having said all of that , well worth another year IMHO.

and that proved to be the correct decision

I think it's entirely different argument as Corr had a known injury issues. Coxy seems as fit as a fiddle.

I agree we can't be held to ransom by one player, but at the same time we're going to struggle to find someone as good as him. The rest of our strikeforce are either inconsistant (TR), getting on a bit (MAF) or unproven (Wabo/Ba).

I don't even think it's up to CP to negotiate numbers with a player either. It was my understanding that RM handles that side of dealings.

I think it's entirely different argument as Corr had a known injury issues. Coxy seems as fit as a fiddle.

I agree we can't be held to ransom by one player, but at the same time we're going to struggle to find someone as good as him. The rest of our strikeforce are either inconsistant (TR), getting on a bit (MAF) or unproven (Wabo/Ba).
Not just that, Corr would have been stepping up a level to a division where he had never performed well before in his limited experience there.

Cox has been our top scorer for the last 2 seasons in a row, even though last season he barely got going until Brown left and even then he still offered a lot without the goals flowing.

Back