• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was Layne that bad? He impressed playing for Charlton in a friendly against us, prompting Phil B to sign him on a one year contract. Phil then proceeded to just attach him to the first team squad on only two occasions, hardly an opportunity to shine, not ever getting on the pitch.,
Maybe he was poor in the Under 23s or had issues, because at still only 22 years of age he has gone on to play for 6 clubs since leaving us, frequently loaned out. He has scored 16 goals during these spells in 99 games and was released with 9 others at the end of this season from Brechin and is now a free agent. Still young enough to develop of course

Billericay surely!

He wasn't a bad signing even if he wasn't ultimately a successful one. These sorts of gambles won't always pay off. That's ok. I prefer the odds with Barratt than with Layne though.

Good luck Sam!!..... What a week!!.... from Maidenhead to the Essex Riveria!!... he must feel like Lional Messi right now !!

Talking of Maidenhead, (bit of a pub quiz question / answer)...

I never knew that Maidenhead's ground "York Road" (there's another Southend connection for all the wrong reasons! :smile: )

.........is recognised by both the FA & FIFA as being the oldest & continuously used football ground in the world!! (since 1871).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9425241.stm

With that in mind, if time lines were parallel, I reckon they would have banned onions from their burgers around the time of the ceasefire of World War One!! :smile:

Barratt excited to complete switch to Shrimpers

AN excited Sam Barratt was lost for words after sealing a switch to Southend United.

More...

What a refreshing change to have some business done early. Clearly time and effort has gone into thinking this out and he has a lot to work with and fills a need in the squad.

UTBs

What a refreshing change to have some business done early. Clearly time and effort has gone into thinking this out and he has a lot to work with and fills a need in the squad.

UTBs
The first CP WOW Let's welcome him , he's under 30 and hungry!

Good signing and looked good on the ball on You Tube. Bet he doesn't get that much space at this level though. Good quick feet and a very exciting prospect.
Well done Chrissy Powell, who said when he arrived he liked to get business done early.

With Brown we'd still be at the "we are talking with 7 players and something should be across the line next week." Only "Next week" didn't arrive too often.

UTB

Just a little "leg pulling" that I am sure will be well received.

may I just add one................" ITS not club policy " to buy anyone from the lower leagues ( Riggers special )

Anyway all my dreams coming true, stupid club policy smashed, completely new recruitment team, sending more youngsters out on loan, Southend first into transfer market, Sir Chris P coming home, younger squad? it doesnt get much better

Please forgive a little chest pump and Ron, thanks for all of this and reading Shrimperzone for taking on board my posts:winking:

Welcome aboard Sam. You're facing a big leap in terms of training regime but there's plenty of time to raise your fitness level before the pre-season friendlies start. I hope that you get an early opportunity to show your talent and have a highly successful career here.

Was Layne that bad? He impressed playing for Charlton in a friendly against us, prompting Phil B to sign him on a one year contract. Phil then proceeded to just attach him to the first team squad on only two occasions, hardly an opportunity to shine, not ever getting on the pitch.,
Maybe he was poor in the Under 23s or had issues, because at still only 22 years of age he has gone on to play for 6 clubs since leaving us, frequently loaned out. He has scored 16 goals during these spells in 99 games and was released with 9 others at the end of this season from Brechin and is now a free agent. Still young enough to develop of course

I saw him play a few times and quite liked him, never did understand why he didn't seem to work in our set up.

Welcome to the club Sam, just watched his highlight reel posted up by the club. Looks a real prospect and could be a real astute signing by Sir Chris.

What’s even better about this signing is the fact that it’s happened before the window has officially opened. Who’d have thought that hey. Club policy and all that :winking:

Welcome to the club Sam, just watched his highlight reel posted up by the club. Looks a real prospect and could be a real astute signing by Sir Chris.

What’s even better about this signing is the fact that it’s happened before the window has officially opened. Who’d have thought that hey. Club policy and all that :winking:

This is part of a new tactical and strategic plan. Policy is old hat, don't you know.

Blues boss Powell happy to bring in ‘unorthodox’ Sam

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell is pleased to have made Sam Barratt his first signing of the summer - after months of tracking the winger.

More...

Back