• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So he is young, strong, tall and no slouch. He can play on the left, the right and through the middle. He can score with his feet and his head, has a long throw and can pass well. Mrsblue must be purring like a puddy tat.

I watched some clips of him and his footwork is reminiscent of our Lord Freddy of Eastwood. If the pace of his brain is as fast as his feet then we will have a good player on our hands. Well done to the lad and good luck to him.

Looks a good signing to me. Mind you we've all said this before! Well done Chris for starting getting in replacements/signings this early on.

It's got to be worth a punt on a couple of these type of players every season. It has worked for us in the past. Let's give him a couple of seasons to settle in a grow, before we start slagging him off as not good enough. Welcome to Southend Sam and good luck.

may I just add one................" ITS not club policy " to buy anyone from the lower leagues ( Riggers special )

Anyway all my dreams coming true, stupid club policy smashed, completely new recruitment team, sending more youngsters out on loan, Southend first into transfer market, Sir Chris P coming home, younger squad? it doesnt get much better

Please forgive a little chest pump and Ron, thanks for all of this and reading Shrimperzone for taking on board my posts:winking:

How much did we pay for Sam then Bazza?

You tried that one about a week ago and people where happy to point out that we do sign players from lower leagues. CP even confirmed he was looking to do that at the Q&A evening. What he didn't say was I will be spending £250,000 on any Ricky Millers.

In fact what is our total spend in transfers in the last 10 years. Then compare that with our sales in that time.

Last edited:
Maidenhead fans are quite surprised by this one; they have another wide player (Harry Pritchard) whom they consider a far more league-ready prospect. FWIW from the one whole time I have seen Barrett play I would tend to agree with them, though he was up against one of our better players on the night. Nice left foot, mind. Reckon he’ll come good in time.

Maidenhead fans are quite surprised by this one; they have another wide player (Harry Pritchard) whom they consider a far more league-ready prospect. FWIW from the one whole time I have seen Barrett play I would tend to agree with them, though he was up against one of our better players on the night. Nice left foot, mind. Reckon he’ll come good in time.

Stop it , please ........

He was mentioned on here at the time, but wonder if at 25 he’s missed the boat. Barratt’s 22 so has time on his side and with three years of professional training and first team experience it could be a different story.

I was surprised by the length of contract.

From his minutes played for them he seems more of a longer term project that I'd have been looking for a 2 year deal with an option of a 3rd year as I expect a lot of growing pains in his first season as he adjusts to full-time football. But maybe that is what was needed to get the deal done. If he shows the right attitude we may look to extend it early.

But I support the idea of getting slightly rawer non-league prospects and developing them ourselves, rather than waiting for them to fully develop in non-league and be valued outside of our price range. They aren't all going to work out and a higher failure rate is to be expected but it's like our youth team: we don't expect them all to pan out but when we get a Yearwood it makes it all worthwhile.

ps How's life in the National League South or wherever it is Orient are playing these days. Any good away days we should be crossing our fingers for in the FA Cup?

ps How's life in the National League South or wherever it is Orient are playing these days. Any good away days we should be crossing our fingers for in the FA Cup?

Oh, delightful. Getting s**thoused by village teams in non-league was always an ambition of mine. Still, we’re back on a stable footing and frankly anything is preferable to life under the yoke of Mad Frank. Can’t speak from experience about away days as life has rather got in the way of those, but I understand that Maidenhead and Guiseley were both very agreeable. The division has an enormous number of teams in the South East next year, so maybe I’ll be able to drink in the joys of Braintree or Havant & Waterlooville next term.

That is just one mans opinion though.

Back