Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Dagenham in Trouble

Default Dagenham in Trouble

A Dagenham supporting friend of mine has said they are in serious financial difficulty. He normally has his finger on the pulse, so not just a wild rumour. Anybody else heard anything?

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

Yes, seen a few rumours for the last month. Tried to encourage lots of people to get along there to support them for Non League day and highlighted their facilities for away fans on Twitter recently during a survey by Fan Experience Co. Very sad, they really do have one of the best away stands anywhere, and were very supportive of the Trust's sponsored walk "Stagger to the Daggers" 4 or 5 years ago.

Glyn Hopkin has pulled the funding. They have no debts but haven't been able to find a buyer as yet. Fingers crossed something comes up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    Yes, seen a few rumours for the last month. Tried to encourage lots of people to get along there to support them for Non League day and highlighted their facilities for away fans on Twitter recently during a survey by Fan Experience Co. Very sad, they really do have one of the best away stands anywhere, and were very supportive of the Trust's sponsored walk "Stagger to the Daggers" 4 or 5 years ago.
    They have great facilities for their home fans. I have been to plenty mid-week events and retirement do's etc when I worked in the area. We could certainly learn a thing or two from them.

Always enjoyed an away day to Daggers. Hope they find a buyer and go from strength to strength

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Sorry to hear that. As others have said, they have a decent set up there, but they have it tough given the nearby competition. Hopefully they can persuade lots of local families that a day out there is infinitely preferable to one at West Ham.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    Sorry to hear that. As others have said, they have a decent set up there, but they have it tough given the nearby competition. Hopefully they can persuade lots of local families that a day out there is infinitely preferable to one at West Ham.
    Funnily enough, a good mate of mine who runs the programme shop there, is an ex-West Ham fan.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled up in Blue View Post
    Funnily enough, a good mate of mine who runs the programme shop there, is an ex-West Ham fan.
    I imagine there are a fair few people who follow Dagenham in addition to another London club.

My father-in-law and his brothers, all Dagenham born, support West Ham/Chelsea (the shame) but all 'look out' for the Daggers. I'll tell them to 'look out' a bit closer!

Wet Spam played a "charity" friendly match at the daggers at the end of March, in the hope they could raise £40,000 for them. At the time it was reported that they needed to raise at least £250,000 just to see out the end of the season.

I do hope they find a backer and survive, I also quite like an away day to D&R. I also hope perhaps our club will consider a pre-season friendly match to help them out financially.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    I imagine there are a fair few people who follow Dagenham in addition to another London club.

My father-in-law and his brothers, all Dagenham born, support West Ham/Chelsea (the shame) but all 'look out' for the Daggers. I'll tell them to 'look out' a bit closer!
    My mate started out in life as a Newport County supporter ( I stood with him at that memorable 4-2 home win back in the day).TBF John C. has always had a soft spot for W.Ham and is now a retired Head Teacher in the Dagenham area.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

Not helped by the freebie stadium paid for by the taxpayer being given to WH for rental peanuts.20k extra plastic cockneys who don't support their local clubs on top of original support of Essex Boyz .It didn't need a scientist to work out premiersh*te at discount prices would be more enticing than the Daggers or O's

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpled View Post
    Glyn Hopkin has pulled the funding. They have no debts but haven't been able to find a buyer as yet. Fingers crossed something comes up for them.
    Apparently as a life long fan he put about £1m into the club over the last year. Only to end up getting stick from certain supporters groups, it happens. So he said he would fund it until the end of March and then your on your own.

Interest from the bloke who owns Peterborough and West Ham using it as a feeder club are a couple of rumours. Although league rules would probably block the Hammers idea?

The good news is I have pencilled in a group daggers fans for a few games down at the Hall next season. Like so many lads at that level they won't be going to any PL nonsense up the road from them. They have all been there and done it.

Have a source close to the club who a few weeks ago thought they couldnt finish the season,number of players left as Glyn Hopkin was subbing their wages at the time.Understand that matters have improved and they will start next season in the National League.Watch this space