Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southend United all time mean machine 11

Quote Originally Posted by davewebbsbrain View Post
    Gary 'Pony' Richards was a striker wasn't he?
    Garry Richards was a centre-half signed from Colchester and sold to Gillingham. Most famous for being wrongly sent off by Trevor Kettle at Oldham.

Pony "Tony" Richards was an ineffective striker formerly at Orient, signed from Barnet.
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by davewebbsbrain View Post
    Gary 'Pony' Richards was a striker wasn't he?
    Garry Richards was a centre half, Tony Richards was, allegedly, a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post
    Garry Richards was a centre-half signed from Colchester and sold to Gillingham. Most famous for being wrongly sent off by Trevor Kettle at Oldham.

Pony "Tony" Richards was an ineffective striker formerly at Orient, signed from Barnet.
    So many people were wrongly sent off by Kettle, it's hardly going to make anyone famous !

Another tower block that loved a shove, crunch and slide in was the injury prone Ryan Innis. For someone forever trying to shrug his injuries, he never flinched an aerial challenge. I liked Ryan during his stay with us but it was never going to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Garry Richards was a centre half, Tony Richards was, allegedly, a striker.
    Yep it's all becoming clear now, thanks both

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Another tower block that loved a shove, crunch and slide in was the injury prone Ryan Innis. For someone forever trying to shrug his injuries, he never flinched an aerial challenge. I liked Ryan during his stay with us but it was never going to work out.
    We are only including footballers you know

The team that no one wants to play. None of them shirked a tackle, most of them loved a header and a flying elbow. If you knew he was coming, you knew you'd get clattered if you still had the ball.
    Unusually for me, i'm going for 2x attacking fullbacks in a 5- 2- 3 fomation. The fallen over christmas tree. If i was facing this lot, i'd stay in the dressing room. Whats your 11?

P Samsome
    A Barrett
    P Clark (Viking) & skipper
    E Sodje
    B Moshni
    P Clarke

A McCormack
    M Bentley

B Corr
    R McDonough
    M'Voto
    Mike marsh, as well as being skill full, used to go in hard with the tackles.

Jeroen Boere.

I swear the man had six elbows.
    Ponce.

Perfumed Ponce.

For those of a certain vintage, the first name on my mean teamsheet would be Joe Jacques. And he'd be captain.
    He was properly hard, not a pantomime villain like Deegan !

Quote Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
    For those of a certain vintage, the first name on my mean teamsheet would be Joe Jacques. And he'd be captain.
    Heart attack at 36. Blimey. Would love to see some footage of him playing, good one Spenser

Mr Spenser
    You are so right
    The late Joe Jacques was so hard that he even had us lot in the Paddock wincing when he went
    in for a challenge.
    One particular 50:50 with Bobby Cram of Colchester was so high that he nearly got. Crams goolies
    RIP Joe
    DistantBlue's Epitaph
    "It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Paul Sansome

Chris Powell
    Spencer Prior
    Adam Barrett
    Dean Austin

Ricky Otto
    Peter Butler
    Mike Marsh
    Andy Ansah

Brett Angell
    David Crown
    Stanley Collymore

I've selected a Best First XII as I refuse to choose between Crown, Stan & Bertie Bangle...

Quote Originally Posted by DistantBlue View Post
    Mr Spenser
    You are so right
    The late Joe Jacques was so hard that he even had us lot in the Paddock wincing when he went
    in for a challenge.
    One particular 50:50 with Bobby Cram of Colchester was so high that he nearly got. Crams goolies
    RIP Joe
    Joe and Brian Albeson were a solid partnership at the back , I will always remember that Brian kept Peter Osgood in his pocket in 72 .

First XI
    Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
    Heart attack at 36. Blimey. Would love to see some footage of him playing, good one Spenser
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantBlue View Post
    Mr Spenser
    You are so right
    in for a challenge.
    RIP Joe
    Joe Jacques was an extremely tough footballer and was well known for being as being as hard as nails and in his time at Southend United was certainly not one to be messed about with?(It was often said that Joe would have kicked his own grandmother for a win bonus). There was also a story going around back in the late 60's early 70's that when Southend United were staying in a hotel at the same time as Grimsby Town, a player who later signed for Southend Stuart Brace was nowhere to be seen as JJ was, let's just say "On his Case". Strange really as off the field he was always very approachable and seemed quite calm and was also softly spoken. Mind you he did have quite scary eyes!

Hector Of The House Benfleet A1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No Dave Cusack?
    Lord, in your mercy please give my friend a stroke