• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup Squad Announcement

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
That time has finally arrived where in a couple of hours we will find out who is going and who isn’t.

It appears that Hart and Wilshere will miss out according to reports. I won’t lose any sleep over either of those two missing out. I really hope Southgate takes a gamble and takes Sessegnon.

Reports indicate the Southgate is taking a young, unexperienced squad on the whole, which in my eyes is good news. There's no real pressure on their shoulders as we're not going to win it, so they can just play their best. Much unlike the England squad post WC 98 with no Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney/Beckham to shoe into the squad when sometimes they didn't deserve it.

They use everyone's surname except Dele Alli. The just call him Dele :stunned:

He prefers to be known as Dele. 'Alli' is the surname of his birth parents but he lived with 'adoptive' parents (never formally adopted) from his teens and no longer identifies strongly with his birth surname.

As for the squad, I think Welbeck is lucky to be going. I have been a big fan of his in the past but he has done little of late. Would have liked to have seen Sancho or Lookman get a look, man. Sorry.

He prefers to be known as Dele. 'Alli' is the surname of his birth parents but he lived with 'adoptive' parents (never formally adopted) from his teens and no longer identifies strongly with his birth surname.

As for the squad, I think Welbeck is lucky to be going. I have been a big fan of his in the past but he has done little of late. Would have liked to have seen Sancho or Lookman get a look, man. Sorry.

Meh, I bet it's just because it rhymes with Pele. #bighead

Just seen that he went to the Senior School that's 5 minutes away from my house. Who knew?

Would have taken an extra central midfielder over Welbz, as much as a love him and he's a good striker when on form.

Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.

Still we have Henderson and Dier to look forward to.....

Out at group stage again.

Leaving out Jonjo Shelvey shows extreme shortsightedness. Probably the best passer of a ball in last season's premier league. Of course if he had been playing for a so-called "Big Six" club, he would have been a shoe-in.

Completely agree and there is a lack of creativity in the midfield selections, a lot of grafters. I'd be worried if we lost Dele through injury, although we do look like we can grind out 0-0 lately

Given the versatility of some of the players in the squad - e.g. Walker can play wide right or part of a three, Dier can play in midfield or central defence, Sterling can play out wide or up top etc. - I did think there was room for one or two 'risky' selections like Shelvey or Jack 'made of glass' Wilshere.

It is all a bit functional but that is where we are right now I guess. Hopefully the current crop of successful youngsters who won trophies for us last year will be coming through in time for 2020 and 2022.

Isn't Loftus-Cheek something of a creative option in the middle?

Pleased he left out Joe Hart anyway, he's done very little to enhance his reputation since Pep bombed him out of City.

Pleased he left out Joe Hart anyway, he's done very little to enhance his reputation since Pep bombed him out of City.

No arguments there. Quite the fall from grace - first choice in 2012/14/16 and now not even making the trip.

For those who haven't seen it, this is the video the FA officially used to announce the team. It's possibly the worst thing I've ever watched, who thought this was a good idea?

For those who haven't seen it, this is the video the FA officially used to announce the team. It's possibly the worst thing I've ever watched, who thought this was a good idea?

That is 1 minute 50 of my life I will never get back. If you haven’t watched it.... DONT! It’s ****ing awful!

****ing hell i had to stop half way through!

Back